Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

So i finally picked up the two new issues for Ultimate Comics! And wow, it feels like its back on track. It's not there yet, but is certainly moving back up there.

I Loved Ultimate Comics Spider-Man as it had everything that Ultimate Spider-Man is about. Gwen and Peter together is a good move. I'm liking how things have turned out.

And i like the art as well. I didn't like it in the annual but it feels different here, easier to make out. Anyway ill give this issue a 8/10.

I loved this issue (#2) like I haven't loved a USM issue for a long time. The mysterio speach was nice, it had a nice mad stan feel (Only one logical solution!! BLOW IT ALL UP!!). The school scene was great! Mutant hysteria making life hard for kitty, Kong coming to her rescue in a spidey t-shirt no less, and the MJ and Kitty interaction! So, not only did MJ and Peter break up, Kong and Kitty did as well. The banter during the bombshell fight was great as well. And I'm really looking forward to hearing wat happened to Johnny! Hope he'll join the cast for a while too.

Last edited:

Yeah I loved this issue too. It felt like it did more towards the beginning of that last Volume. I think with the added new cast and the "new to any universe villains" it may really open this up and it can be a great comic book again.

I mean I still like to see some of the old villains get ultimatized and get a little more out of some of the other villains that just had a small part in the last volume but, still I'm loving this. Also I think if Johnny, Bobby and Jessica stick around for awhile we might get to see them all take on some of the bigger FF and XM villains.

Last edited:

I have admit I liked the Bombshells, they were cute. :D

i haven't read issue 2 yet, so i'm just shooting blind here, but has Jessica shown up yet?

if not...is it possible that Jessica is living as Peter? For whatever reason Peter is not around and to cover it up, she is posing as him.

Gwen made a joke way back in volume 1 about not being sure if she liked boys, and Jessica is Peter in a girl's body.

I don't know, maybe i'm way off, but it's just a thought that struck me.

i haven't read issue 2 yet, so i'm just shooting blind here, but has Jessica shown up yet?

if not...is it possible that Jessica is living as Peter? For whatever reason Peter is not around and to cover it up, she is posing as him.

Gwen made a joke way back in volume 1 about not being sure if she liked boys, and Jessica is Peter in a girl's body.

He does have longer hair, and there is a panel where he wakes up after a nightmare that people are claiming shows him having a girl torso(In a 'THIS IS PROOF', post-zutarian way), but i dont think so. There is a shot of him changing shirts and during the bombshell fight he loses the back of his costume. No sign of a bra or way to cover up breasts to be seen. So if this is jessica then she got some weird shield hologram thing to cover her new identity.

He does have longer hair, and there is a panel where he wakes up after a nightmare that people are claiming shows him having a girl torso(In a 'THIS IS PROOF', post-zutarian way), but i dont think so. There is a shot of him changing shirts and during the bombshell fight he loses the back of his costume. No sign of a bra or way to cover up breasts to be seen. So if this is jessica then she got some weird shield hologram thing to cover her new identity.

yeah, maybe not. But at the same time, the blast that burned up his or her shirt may also have burned up the bra or whatever. That could also explain why he or she was so nervous talking to the cops.

Like I said, it was just an idea, i'm probably way off.

On a completely unrelated note...why does Kong have a purple mohawk?

Man, that Spider-woman theory is really interesting. But upon re-reading the past couple issues, I seriously doubt it's her....Lafuente draws pretty clear pecs on Spidey, unless I'm really missing something in his artwork. Kinda cool idea, though.

I just read #2, and I hate the art even more now. :sick:

captaincanuck65 said:

I hope not. No matter how he does it, its going to work out terribly. It worked in The Crying Game, sure, but it won't work here.

I like it.

After Immonen's ugly a** faces it's actually nice to see people that look like people.

But they don't look like people...they look like manga people. And Spider-Man's head is the most unproportionally circular head I've ever seen in a comic book.

And Spider-Man's head is the most unproportionally circular head I've ever seen in a comic book.

YES.

That's not my only issue with the art, but it is major. It's almost as bad as mask squinting.

This is just not the kind of book/line that this manga style works on.

I agree with you. I get that it is trying to appeal to the people that will read it for the relationships, but this is supposed to be Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Let's get someone on this title that can draw amazing action. Like, Immonen.

I don't even see manga people. I see stupid, deformed people. Most manga artwork is way better than this. It isn't enough to ruin the series for me, but it's far from being good.

i don't mind the art.

I hated Immonen's art when he started, but i got over it. So I'm kind of past complaining about the art. The only real problem I have is Kong's new appearance.

I've already said the only reason I'm reading this is for the art. I think it's great and very suitable for something like a comic where Spider-Man is a kid. It's fun.

I hated Immonen's art when he started, but i got over it.

Me too, except my change in opinion was after his Ultimate X-Men stuff, which I hated at the time. I think NEXTWAVE changed things for me.

I have always loved Immonen. I was there before Nextwave. :)

Latest posts

Back