Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

I really like Bobby's characterization in the series. He's a weird kid, a little messed up. I like how Johnny and Peter treat him like a little brother even though they're all basically the same age.

Did anyone else who picked up #11 find it a little disappointing? The character interaction was par for the USM course but the new villain and the journalism plot came off as kinda stale to me.

See, I actually liked both those aspects. Well, I'm withholding judgment on the villain; he's only just been introduced, it's impossible to get any sort of reading on him. But I liked the journalist stuff. Seeing any part of the Bugle crew again, even if it is just Urich, was great. I actually really liked the issue as a whole.

See, I actually liked both those aspects. Well, I'm withholding judgment on the villain; he's only just been introduced, it's impossible to get any sort of reading on him. But I liked the journalist stuff. Seeing any part of the Bugle crew again, even if it is just Urich, was great. I actually really liked the issue as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the bugle is back too, although it's hard to see Peter getting his job back as a website designer when the Bugle has become a website.

Which is really what bothered me. How is the Bugle making a penny's profit as an all online publication? I can't think of any real counterparts to the Bugle with that level of staff/tech. It's silly.

You're right about the villain, he's probably more complex than his first appearance suggests.

I really like Bobby's characterization in the series. He's a weird kid, a little messed up. I like how Johnny and Peter treat him like a little brother even though they're all basically the same age.

Same here, I actually laughed out loud at their exchange in the food court. I thought it was a better issue than #10, that was Chameleon at the end right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the bugle is back too, although it's hard to see Peter getting his job back as a website designer when the Bugle has become a website.

Which is really what bothered me. How is the Bugle making a penny's profit as an all online publication? I can't think of any real counterparts to the Bugle with that level of staff/tech. It's silly.

i think if the New York Times buliding was destroyed in a natural disaster then decided to rebuild as an online newspaper instead of re-investing in a medium that's dying, it would still have a large readership and make money off ads.

Last edited:
I picked up and read issue #11
I really liked it. It was just enjoyable, and Spider-Man never even showed up.

It's sort of weird to be introducing the villain of the arc in part 3 of 6, but I'm also glad Bendis is going somewhere positive with the Kitty storyline.

I just re-read through the series up to this point (loved issue 11), and...didn't the Daily Bugle fold? If it's still around as an online publication, and Peter knows this, why isn't he trying to get a job there, with gusto?

I just re-read through the series up to this point (loved issue 11), and...didn't the Daily Bugle fold? If it's still around as an online publication, and Peter knows this, why isn't he trying to get a job there, with gusto?

because he's a faithful employee of Doc Hopper's french Fried Frog Legs.

His old job was as a web designer. After the Ultimatum Wave Jameson (or his doppleganger) wound up investing in the new bugle as an all-online professional publication. That makes Peter pretty much useless skills wise.

Hey, maybe Bendis is building towards MJ getting a job at the bugle with this arc! That'd be an Ultimate (i.e. not mainstream) turn of events.

Dochoppers.jpg

Last edited:
Issue #12 came out today. I liked it. Chameleon living Peter's life and trying to figure out what the heck was going on was pretty funny. I have to admit that it deem seem a little to close the the chameleon story we just had in ASM recently though.

The issue was painful to read, though not because of any deficiency in the writing. I don't want Gwen and Peter to break up...:(

Issue #12 came out today. I liked it. Chameleon living Peter's life and trying to figure out what the heck was going on was pretty funny. I have to admit that it deem seem a little to close the the chameleon story we just had in ASM recently though.

Yeah I thought the same thing with how the Chameleon was used. Just slightly different cause of the last page.

The issue was painful to read, though not because of any deficiency in the writing. I don't want Gwen and Peter to break up...:(
I'm the exact opposite, I keep hoping emo Gwen burns and Peter finally resumes his romance with nerdy MJ :)

Last edited:
I'm the exact opposite, I keep hoping emo Gwen burns and Peter finally resumes his romance with nerdy MJ :)

Oh, you guys. Don't you realise Kitty is the only right girl for Peter!!

Oh, you guys. Don't you realise Kitty is the only right girl for Peter!!

LIES! To be honest I don't think Spider-Man would be so successful if he just ended up with the person who we thought he should end up with. I mean I don't know about the rest of you people but my teenage life (and I just recently left it) was full of making mistakes, full of wishing I could go back in time and change something or redo a situation (which would be a cool superpower btw) but it just doesn't happen like that. That's why I like Spidey, he makes mistakes, he gets some good luck and heaps of good luck, if it was all smooth sailing would you guys really read it? Would Ultimate Spider-Man have lasted a decade? I don't think so.

On another note Chameleon is my favorite villain because he isn't so much into the fight scenes but he messes up Peter's life just by being there, well in the Ultimate Universe at least. I can't wait to see where this arc goes and I hope some of the questions I have from the "Just some guy" arc are answered like how the hell did he get web shooters?

I don't think it's the same dude as the one from "Public Scrutiny"...I know Marvel.com SAYS it is, but this guy (and, presumably, his whole group) has a completely different power set...by which I mean they actually HAVE a power set.

They said ages ago that "Just some guy" was Ultimate Chameleon, I am assuming Zeek assumes that the message still stands and as Marvel says that the new villain is also Chameleon so he assumes that they are the same guy.

Latest posts

Back