Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
So Peter's still Spider-Man.

Issue starts out "6 months later" and Peter's works for Burger Frog. I'm sure Bendis loved writing that scene. :lol:

At night after Peter comes from visiting the almost robbed store stopped by The Shroud, Gwen's waiting for him and they kiss! Huh? What happened with him and MJ now? :?

Few minutes later Johnny Storm comes knocking on his door needing a place to stay and completely worn out and hurt. He faints in Peter's arms.

And I love how we get 2 pages of Kingpin being back in town (loved the explanation, though. Smart.) and he's already been thrown out the window of a skyscraper thanks to Mysterio. Heh.

No Iceman, though. Sad Panda. :(

:p

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Also really like this one. Good start. I am really digging the direction of the new Ultimate U. Just as long as I ignore anything with Loeb on the cover ;)

This is my first issue of Spider-Man since the Silver Sable arc so...

WHAT THE **** GWEN STACEY

Someone explain that to me please.

I rolled my eyes at Kingpin coming back yet again but then he got ****ing owned by Mysterio. Awesome.

The art was great. I shall stick with this.

This is my first issue of Spider-Man since the Silver Sable arc so...

WHAT THE **** GWEN STACEY

Someone explain that to me please.

I have every Ultimate issue, that's new. We'll just have to wait and see.

But over all I really liked this issue. Not love, but like. It definitely has room to grow and can't wait for the next issue.

I have every Ultimate issue, that's new. We'll just have to wait and see.

But over all I really liked this issue. Not love, but like. It definitely has room to grow and can't wait for the next issue.

I was actually referring to the fact that she was still alive but apparently she is a clone mixed with Carnage or something. Surely these are the kinds of things which are why people don't read comics.

My guess for The Shroud - Moon Knight.

I was actually referring to the fact that she was still alive but apparently she is a clone mixed with Carnage or something. Surely these are the kinds of things which are why people don't read comics.

My guess for The Shroud - Moon Knight.

Ooooh, ok. Sorry. As for Gwen She no longer becomes Carnage. Venom absorbed that part of her, she's now just plain old Gwen Stacy.

i'm in vacation in Quebec and won't be able to pick this up for at least a week and a half!

stinking French people and their no comic book stores!

I liked the new issue, but one thing about the art really bothered me. Lafuente draws some pretty ****ing terrible faces, they just look bad, weird, way too anime-ish, and again, bad :(
The rest of the art is awesome though, the panel where the Kingping falls out of the window is pure win :D

Also, I don't know if its just me but, I think Gwen looks awful, her boot-like all-star and her haircut made her look like one of those dumb emo punk rock wannabe chicks, it just bothers me >.>

edit:
Looked up USM Annual #3, and I actually prefer the art in that issue, Lafuente's faces don't look so bad, webbing looks awesome, and the coloring is way better IMO :)
The panel where he kisses MJ looks a LOT like the one where he kisses Gwen though heh

Last edited:

I really liked this, much more than Ultimate Avengers. Everything was great and Bendis only slipped in one instance of Yiddish ( "The safe, yutz!") and one of the infamous Bendis repetitions ( "Does anyone smell hamburgers? I smell hamburgers." ). My only problem is the art. I just can't stand Lafuente's characters. Everything else he draws is fine, but his characters look like ****. That said, I look forward to more.

Why the heck did Peter look so small, was he 9?

The art was terrible, the dialogue was average. The plot was good. We have multiple story lines, multiple unknowns.

But holy mother loving God, the faces sucked. It was so bad. As was the hair.

I'm excited for this comic, just not excited for the art. I think the Shroud is Mr. Fantastic. He's using technology hidden in the shroud. You all owe me a nickle if I'm right.

goodgrief.jpg

I like the idea that the Shroud is Reed Richards. I also like the idea that the Shroud is a mutant that is now forced to hide while simultaneously acting out because of what happened to them after Ultimatum.

I actually liked this a whole lot better than Ultimate Avengers #1

See a Preview of Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2 #2. Sorry no word or thought balloons.

http://comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=3190&pg=1

Oh and Ice, Mystrio is sitting in front of his computer with the Yahoo news site. With the headline that says: KINGPIN DEAD. So he's dead.

Last edited:

See a Preview of Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2 #2. Sorry no word or thought balloons.

http://comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=3190&pg=1

Oh and Ice, Mystrio is sitting in front of his computer with the Yahoo news site. With the headline that says: KINGPIN DEAD. So he's dead.
Never said he wasn't. I just said you should wait until there's confirmation, that's all.

What I liked: The art. David Lafuente is wonderful. It's clean, clear, light, energetic, detailed, and fun all at once. Wonderful.

What I didn't like: The writing. Ugh. Remember how Gwen Stacey hated Spider-Man, knew he was Peter Parker, was living in his house, and Aunt May didn't know Peter was Spidey? Remember that tension? And then remember how Gwen suddenly went, "Sorry for being a tool" and then died because no one saw the potential of a cool sub-plot there? Well, now she's back, smooching with Peter/Spidey and Aunt May knows and it's all wonderful tra-la-la-la happiness pie and it's so boring. Also, Bendis brings back Kingpin, spends a whole page explaining how the man can even be in the USA (even though I recall him returning in #50 or so but I forget exactly the situation) and then, after building him up for two pages... kills him to introduce a new villain who kinda looks like Electro and I have to wonder why he thought this would make me go, "Wow! New villain!" instead of, "That's it?" There's no need for Kingpin to be there. I thought Loeb had killed enough characters. Apparently, Kingpin survived Ultimatum just so Bendis could whack him for no real reason. That's right. I am convinced that at no point will the Mysterio arc require the death of Kingpin in order to work. It is a shock death. Ugh.

What I liked: The art. David Lafuente is wonderful. It's clean, clear, light, energetic, detailed, and fun all at once. Wonderful.

What I didn't like: The writing. Ugh. Remember how Gwen Stacey hated Spider-Man, knew he was Peter Parker, was living in his house, and Aunt May didn't know Peter was Spidey? Remember that tension? And then remember how Gwen suddenly went, "Sorry for being a tool" and then died because no one saw the potential of a cool sub-plot there? Well, now she's back, smooching with Peter/Spidey and Aunt May knows and it's all wonderful tra-la-la-la happiness pie and it's so boring. Also, Bendis brings back Kingpin, spends a whole page explaining how the man can even be in the USA (even though I recall him returning in #50 or so but I forget exactly the situation) and then, after building him up for two pages... kills him to introduce a new villain who kinda looks like Electro and I have to wonder why he thought this would make me go, "Wow! New villain!" instead of, "That's it?" There's no need for Kingpin to be there. I thought Loeb had killed enough characters. Apparently, Kingpin survived Ultimatum just so Bendis could whack him for no real reason. That's right. I am convinced that at no point will the Mysterio arc require the death of Kingpin in order to work. It is a shock death. Ugh.
Yeah, I didn't like he brought him back again for 2 pages just to kill him off like that. It's pointless.

What makes it worse is that we know Bendis will eventually bring him back again.

What I didn't like: The writing. Ugh. Remember how Gwen Stacey hated Spider-Man, knew he was Peter Parker, was living in his house, and Aunt May didn't know Peter was Spidey? Remember that tension? And then remember how Gwen suddenly went, "Sorry for being a tool" and then died because no one saw the potential of a cool sub-plot there? Well, now she's back, smooching with Peter/Spidey and Aunt May knows and it's all wonderful tra-la-la-la happiness pie and it's so boring.

Well, it is like 6 months after Ultimatum, so maybe something that we don't know happened and Bendis will deal with it later through some flashbacks or something.

Also, Bendis brings back Kingpin, spends a whole page explaining how the man can even be in the USA (even though I recall him returning in #50 or so but I forget exactly the situation) and then, after building him up for two pages... kills him to introduce a new villain who kinda looks like Electro and I have to wonder why he thought this would make me go, "Wow! New villain!" instead of, "That's it?" There's no need for Kingpin to be there. I thought Loeb had killed enough characters. Apparently, Kingpin survived Ultimatum just so Bendis could whack him for no real reason. That's right. I am convinced that at no point will the Mysterio arc require the death of Kingpin in order to work. It is a shock death. Ugh.

Well, crap happens. Some people wait 5 years to get money for a boob surgery, and the next day after the surgery, they're run over by a car. I didn't go "wow new villain!" but I liked the surprise, and it didn't bother me at all. I like the fact that like in real life, crap happens. Kingpin didn't need to die, but I'm glad he did, it showed that Mysterio is ruthless and doesn't kid around.

Last edited:

Can I safely assume that i'll be able to follow this story, after not paying attention to anything that's happened since the Ultimate Clones arc? (I've read all the relevant Wikipedia entries and spoiler recaps. Hopefully that ought to be enough to give me a working background of the story.)

If not, then i'll just give this a miss... Or "obtain" copies. ;)

Based on what i've read in this thread so far, I have a sinking feeling I'm not going to be terribly interested.

Latest posts

Back