Ultimate Comics Spider-Man/Miles Morales Discussion (SPOILERS)

the watcher

Anyone read the new issue yet??

Anyways, not a bad start. Kind of annoyed that Bendis just copyed the dialog from the first Ultimate Spider-Man on the first page. It's interesting that he made Miles' Uncle the Prowler. What did you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New Ultimate Spider-Man (Warning SPOILERS ahead!)

Anyone read the new issue yet??

Anyways, not a bad start. Kind of annoyed that Bendis just copyed the dialog from the first Ultimate Spider-Man on the first page[/SPOILER]. It's interesting that he made Miles' Uncle the Prowler. What did you guys think?

Newsarama's review was pretty glowing. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Re: New Ultimate Spider-Man (Warning SPOILERS ahead!)

I read it, and loved it.

Norman's dialog didn't bug me overall. It wasn't identical, though large portions of it were, and it was over in a page.

Pachelli's artwork was great. No complaint there. I liked the setup, and I'm excited to see where he goes with this.

Also, that spider was FREAKING HUGE. Definitely a lot creepier than the one he drew back in USM #1

Re: Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man Discussion (SPOILERS)

New thread started for the actual discussion. No spoilers mark needed; already in the thread title.

New thread started for the actual discussion. No spoilers mark needed; already in the thread title.

Pssst. It's Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, not Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man. Of course, in a world where there are comics as redundantly named as Ultimate Comics New Ultimates or Ultimate Comics The Ultimates, I can't blame you.

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Discussion (SPOILERS)

I just read it, it's good.

I kind of like that Spider-Man still has an uncle that he's close with, but that he's a bad guy. That will make for interesting conflict later on.
Why is he invisible though? That's an unexpected twist.

I just read it, it's good.

I kind of like that Spider-Man still has an uncle that he's close with, but that he's a bad guy. That will make for interesting conflict later on.
Why is he invisible though? That's an unexpected twist.

Some spiders blend into the background. I think that's why.

Just got a chance to read it...one question...it starts "11 months ago", with Norman still free from SHIELD and running Osborn Industries. Its obviously some time after the first USM arc where both Norman and Peter were transformed (since Norman specifically mentions creating Spider-Man).

Then, there's a newpaper page mock-up announcing Norman is the Green Goblin, and mentions the events of the first USM arc (the GG/Spidey fight at Midtown High School) happened "a few months ago".

So does this entire first issue occur in the past (pre-Death of Spider-Man)? It obviously occurs entirely before Ultimate Fallout #4, since Miles only just got his powers in this issue and hasn't started his career as the new Spider-Man. I wonder if during this arc its mentioned Peter Parker died and thats how Miles is motivated to become the new SM.

Of course, with Bendis' liberal approach to his own timelines, I'm not even sure why I'm paying this close attention.

This was really good.

I haven't said that about an issue of Ultimate Spider-Man in years.

Just got a chance to read it...one question...it starts "11 months ago", with Norman still free from SHIELD and running Osborn Industries. Its obviously some time after the first USM arc where both Norman and Peter were transformed (since Norman specifically mentions creating Spider-Man).

Then, there's a newpaper page mock-up announcing Norman is the Green Goblin, and mentions the events of the first USM arc (the GG/Spidey fight at Midtown High School) happened "a few months ago".

So does this entire first issue occur in the past (pre-Death of Spider-Man)? It obviously occurs entirely before Ultimate Fallout #4, since Miles only just got his powers in this issue and hasn't started his career as the new Spider-Man. I wonder if during this arc its mentioned Peter Parker died and thats how Miles is motivated to become the new SM.

Of course, with Bendis' liberal approach to his own timelines, I'm not even sure why I'm paying this close attention.

I think that this hwole issue is all set in the past around the same time Osbourne was imprisoned. I don't think we are going to see a present day set scene until the end of the first arc.

Pssst. It's Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, not Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man. Of course, in a world where there are comics as redundantly named as Ultimate Comics New Ultimates or Ultimate Comics The Ultimates, I can't blame you.
Oops. But it's fixed now. :p

I didn't think much of it; that is I didn't particularly like or dislike it. I thought it was pretty boring, but I guess I should have expected it to be a lot of set-up.

Also, I too was having difficulty figuring out when this issue was supposed to being set. -- partially because Miles looks like he is 11 for most of this issue. (Do we even know how old he's supposed to be.)

He's 13, I believe. If this is 11 months ago, though, he could very easily be 12.

He's 47.

I also thought it was short. But it was one of the most solid beginnings I've seen in a while.

My problem is conceptual. Spider-Man is more than a guy with spider powers. It's the quips and attitude, the "Parker luck", etc. Ultimate Spider-Man did a great job in its first volume of shifting those things to apply to a 15 year old kid so it's not the age change that is a problem, but obviously this one won't have any of that. I'm willing to see how it plays out but I'm a little apprehensive.

I'm interested in this, but I'm going to wait for the trade.

Mostly because Bendis writes for the trade all the time, and I don't expect that to change.

I am curious as to how Miles takes up the mantle. Or more specifically, how NYC and Peter's friends and family react to it. Seriously, Aunt May's going to be pissed.

Teaser from Marvel:

ultimate-spider-man-teaser.jpg

Latest posts

Back