Ultimate Enemy discussion

Bendis:
What I liked about the Ultimate Universe when it started, and the way it worked for quite a few years, was that every storyline is an event. Every arc of 'Ultimate Spider-Man' and 'The Ultimates' was a big earth shattering event, and post 'Ultimatum' and post 'Siege,' I believe that's the way things should be," Bendis continued. "So, big, exciting things will happen right there in the books I'm writing.

In the words of Ultimate Peter Parker, "Oy Vey"

When I read that I thought Bendis had it ALL wrong... It was, on the contrary, about the characters... Look how long it took him to build up the origins of Spidey or, for that matter, whatever he was TRYING to build up to. I dunno... but Bendis no one was ammused by the "event" aspect, but the amount of concise continuity and the characters... Which the UU now lacks.

regardless of Bendis' preoccupation with events, the more I read about this the more I'm sold on it.

Bendis has been hinting that this will tie up loose ends from all of his Roxxon stuff and from the Latveria references in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up and possibly the Geldoff and War of the Symbiote/USM video game arcs.

I know he does this kind of thing all the time, but I have honestly been wanting resolution to that stuff for years. It's not like in New Avengers when we found out the shadowy figure from NA #1 was a skrull, or Ultimate Origins tying into Hulk's first appearance in UMTU, there have been some serious threads woven into the story of USM and then left dangling and I want to know how they fit.

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but i'm looking forward to this.

"Secret Invasion is going to pay off everything" - and it turns out to be an 8-page splash page fest of garish aliens fighting garish heroes.

"Paying-off" doesn't mean everyone fighting out of the blue when you've run out of steam, having the bad guy die, and going, "Well. That's settled."

Last edited:
You are a sucker.

OF COURSE he is going to state it's going to answer some questions, he always states that, but never follows through.

"Secret Invasion is going to pay off everything" - and it turns out to be an 8-page splash page fest of garish aliens fighting garish heroes.

"Paying-off" doesn't mean everyone fighting out of the blue when you've run out of steam, having the bad guy die, and going, "Well. That's settled."

Yep, I'm aware of all that. Yet here I am, looking forward to it. Either way, if it's Bendis writing Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Woman then it should be at least marginally entertaining.

I bought it and read it.

It was very much a set-up issue.

Spider-Woman is doing recon on Roxxon b/c she believes they are some how connected to her cloning, giant purple spore monster explodes from inside Roxxon building, Jessica saves scientist.
Reed Richards is living at home again. Someone comes to the door, Reed's dad answers, the house explodes. You never see who was there.
Sue gets a visit from Ben, he tells her he loves her. She doesn't reciprocate. As he is leaving a plate of rocky skin falls off of him (remember the first issue of Ultimate Power?)
After he leaves the purple spore monster attacks the Baxter Building
Fury is having lunch disguised as a white guy. he gets attacked by a big purple man, giant explosion.

The end.

Meh. Not amazing. Not terrible. We'll see.

I bought it and read it.

It was very much a set-up issue.

Spider-Woman is doing recon on Roxxon b/c she believes they are some how connected to her cloning, giant purple spore monster explodes from inside Roxxon building, Jessica saves scientist.
Reed Richards is living at home again. Someone comes to the door, Reed's dad answers, the house explodes. You never see who was there.
Sue gets a visit from Ben, he tells her he loves her. She doesn't reciprocate. As he is leaving a plate of rocky skin falls off of him (remember the first issue of Ultimate Power?)
After he leaves the purple spore monster attacks the Baxter Building
Fury is having lunch disguised as a white guy. he gets attacked by a big purple man, giant explosion.

The end.

Meh. Not amazing. Not terrible. We'll see.

There's just nothing good anymore. The Ultimate universe needs to die.

I liked the Sue/Ben interaction. It gave Ben more depth. Which probably means he'll die in this story.

Also, anyone think the giant purple amoebas are related to the giant purple amoebas that attacked the supreme universe in Ultimate Power? (IT'S ALL CONNECTED! LOLOLNOKIA!!!)

I liked the Sue/Ben interaction. It gave Ben more depth. Which probably means he'll die in this story.

Also, anyone think the giant purple amoebas are related to the giant purple amoebas that attacked the supreme universe in Ultimate Power? (IT'S ALL CONNECTED! LOLOLNOKIA!!!)

I'm not sure the "big nice guy likes his best friend's girl" eally adds depth to Ben's character. It's kind of cliche.

But i have to admit, it was pretty obvious from the last arc of UFF

I'm not sure the "big nice guy likes his best friend's girl" eally adds depth to Ben's character. It's kind of cliche.

I meant the whole conversation. Ben being proud of his new uniform and saying he's come to terms with his new self. I kinda felt that he had grown (on an emotional level) compared to his UFF days.

Ben is probably the member of the FF who left Ultimatum with the clearest purpose of all the group. He did his best to help, saved Sue and Johnny, and never gave up. While Johnny and Sue had to cope with the death of their father, and Reed had to face his biggest screw up ever, Sue leaving him, etc.

Latest posts

Back