Ultimate Extinction #3 (Discussion/Spoilers)

I liked the Misty Knight Part. What I didn't like was that marvel preview in the middle of my comic f**king up my reading flow.

Synch said:
I liked the Misty Knight Part. What I didn't like was that marvel preview in the middle of my comic f**king up my reading flow.

You didn't think the Misty stuff was a little stereotypical and insulting to black people? It was like a Spike Lee film times ten. Maybe insulting isn't the right description, but the steretypical "angry black person" thing has been done to death. How about giving the character a bit more depth than that, you know? Like a real person?

Thats what most people I think had a problem with. I'm not even black and I'm kind of insulted with it.

Well the little bit I know about the Misty Knight character is that she is an "angry black person". Everything I've ever read with her in it quantifies that. Just like Wolverine is a short brooding whatever. They changed her character a little bit by making her arm be a part of her inner anger as opposed to in 616 where she accepts the arm. But I think that's a part of her character. Also kinda like how gambit is always portrayed as a good with the women types. I'm not saying it's the most creative thing, I'm just ok with it because I'm used to that being part of her character. They haven't changed Luke Cage over the years either.

Well, they did change his dialogue a little bit. but that's it.

And I can find her character very real, because I do know some "angry black people" and they are always angry. and you just get used to it, and try to keep them away from the alcohol.

Ala my uncle Dave the vietnam vet.

Synch said:
Well the little bit I know about the Misty Knight character is that she is an "angry black person". Everything I've ever read with her in it quantifies that. Just like Wolverine is a short brooding whatever. They changed her character a little bit by making her arm be a part of her inner anger as opposed to in 616 where she accepts the arm. But I think that's a part of her character. Also kinda like how gambit is always portrayed as a good with the women types. I'm not saying it's the most creative thing, I'm just ok with it because I'm used to that being part of her character. They haven't changed Luke Cage over the years either.

Thats a good point. I'm not really familiar with the 616 version (didn't know she had the arm thing going on as well). I guess in terms of the 616 versions, they were all created during the "blaxploitation" era of the 1970's, and since have just kept the same persona. I guess in terms of a new universe, they shouldn't be held by the same terms. Though I do see the point in aligning the two, still think it could've been handled better.

DIrishB said:
still think it could've been handled better.
I totally agree. Like I wish Luke Cage would have been ultimized into a cooler version of the Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne model. But I think they made him corny. If I'm remembering it right, they made him be on that loser team with Pym. What a waste.

Synch said:
I totally agree. Like I wish Luke Cage would have been ultimized into a cooler version of the Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne model. But I think they made him corny. If I'm remembering it right, they made him be on that loser team with Pym. What a waste.

Quite true. In terms of Luke Cage along the lines of Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne...you'd probably love the character of Nighthawk in Supreme Power, because thats exactly what he's like.

As for Luke Cage on the Ultimate Defenders...I honestly think Millar included him on the team as a poke at Bendis, since he seems to be a huge fan of Cage (which is why he uses him so often in his stories in 616). Therefore, Millar made the Ultimate version of Cage out to be a doofus (along with the rest of the teams) merely to screw with Bendis.

DIrishB said:
Quite true. In terms of Luke Cage along the lines of Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne...you'd probably love the character of Nighthawk in Supreme Power, because thats exactly what he's like.

As for Luke Cage on the Ultimate Defenders...I honestly think Millar included him on the team as a poke at Bendis, since he seems to be a huge fan of Cage (which is why he uses him so often in his stories in 616). Therefore, Millar made the Ultimate version of Cage out to be a doofus (along with the rest of the teams) merely to screw with Bendis.
Wow, that probably would get under someones skin especially when you really like a character. And I could see him laughing as he did it too. Yea, and Nighthawk is great, I've checked him in Supreme Power, that's a great book I like most all the characters.

This was a pretty good issue I thought. Not bad. I liked the Silver Surfer and, as has been said, his T-1000 appearance and the molding of the 'surfboard'. I thought Surfer was nothing like the 616 one? He's pretty similar to me.

I'm a bit annoyed instead of the cosmic energy blasts we get electricity, but not really bothered too much.

But yeah, it's shaping up nice. The "contamination" bit was pretty good.

Okay, I haven't got my copy of #3 yet (hell, I haven't got #1 or 2 yet, they're sitting at the comic store waiting for they're bigger brothers #4 and #5 to arrive) but I read the summary and I needed to skip through all this to get to the end and comment on SS!
Okay, remember in Wizard when they asked Ellis about Ultimate Extinction (this was before Ultimate Secret #3 had come out, I believe)? They asked about Silver Surfer and if he would be showing up in Extinction, to which Ellis replied: "He?"
At first I thought that this meant it would be a "she" Surfer and then SS showed up as a 'guy'. So what if, by "he", Ellis meant "not he, but THEY"?! So...many Silver Surfers?
Plus I thought he was supposed to be "totally different from the 616 SS" but here he is, board and all? Weird. Maybe the next two (or is it three) issues will explain why he's so "different"?
I was hoping for the maleable metal thing and so I'm glad it's been used. I suppose that he can change the board back into wings and vice versa? And I was also hoping they'd call him "Norrin Radd" or something to that effect, just cos its Ultimate and he's an "alien".
But, more importantly, I'm wondering where the hell Gah Lak Tus came from? I mean, did someone build it? Was it explained at all in the Ultimate Vision backups? I didn't really care to read them all (I read #2;3;and the last one - 5 or 6?) so I don't know precisely what was said before Vizh donned a cape and decided to go star-hunting.

So...fill me in.

I was only asking about Silver Surfer having his own thoughts because he attacked Misty Knight and had a few lines, I believe. This would indicate he's thinking, at least... Or, Galactus is thinking for him...

Also, I was wondering about Galactus, too. If it's robotic, who built it?

Goodwill said:
I was only asking about Silver Surfer having his own thoughts because he attacked Misty Knight and had a few lines, I believe. This would indicate he's thinking, at least... Or, Galactus is thinking for him...?
No, I know what you were talking about, I'm talking about comments made earlier on in this thread.
Anyway, I figure (from what I've heard) that SS is a being on his own with his own thoughts.
If he were Gah Lak Tus, and ol' Tus didn't like the idea of a living human mind "touching" him, how do you think SS would like the idea of interacting with life on earth?
So he's, at least in my opinion, a being on his own.

Goodwill said:
Exactly! It looks robotic (on one of the upcoming covers), so who made it? Wouldn't it be funny if it was built by "The Watchers"? That was one group of beings or being that I hoped to see in this trilogy. Especially after the Vision mentioned that "Gah Lak Tus" was the name given to the entity by a group of pan-dimensional beings...even though they turned out to be the Kree.

Goodwill said:

The Japanese.

Nas-T! said:
Exactly! It looks robotic (on one of the upcoming covers), so who made it? Wouldn't it be funny if it was built by "The Watchers"? That was one group of beings or being that I hoped to see in this trilogy. Especially after the Vision mentioned that "Gah Lak Tus" was the name given to the entity by a group of pan-dimensional beings...even though they turned out to be the Kree.

Even better, what if Gah Lak Tus was built by the Ultimate version of the Watcher(s) merely as a tool to help them "watch" the universe, and for whatever reason it went bad and decided to "kill" the universe. Pretty ironic, going from a non-involved spectator to the big killing machine. Just an idea.

There's a name for the type of device that Gah Lak Tus is...something that goes around killing things like that. I can't remember it - I believe it's from a book. Anyone remember??

E said:
There's a name for the type of device that Gah Lak Tus is...something that goes around killing things like that. I can't remember it - I believe it's from a book. Anyone remember??

Those drone bullet things from Wikipedia?

Who says their robots, they could be a techno organic virus that has evolved?

Last edited:
it has to be explained?

i mean, i hope it is, but if you look at it, if something equivalent to a demigod came to kill us, and we somehow defeated it or drove it off, that doesn't mean we understood it. just that we got really really lucky.

iceman said:
it has to be explained?

i mean, i hope it is, but if you look at it, if something equivalent to a demigod came to kill us, and we somehow defeated it or drove it off, that doesn't mean we understood it. just that we got really really lucky.
Yeah But I think we deserve some crazy cool original origin to Gah lak tus

Latest posts

Back