Ultimate Human series discussion [Ellis/Nord] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimate Human #4 spoilers

I was... disappointed. It wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't a satisfactory ending. The bad guy died and everything returned to where it was at the beginning. It kinda feels like... it didn't matter. Which is annoying because there was a lot of good stuff there.

This is one of those times where it should've just been a trade so the monthly delay didn't make it feel like 'more'. It's also what... 3 issues maybe? Not 4. It felt too much like a beginning, not an ending.

But it was entertaining, that's for sure. Should've been Ultimates 3.

I'm confused about the Hulk intelligence thing. Post Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk and Ultimates 2, isn't Hulk retaining Bruce's intelligence, at least to some degree? This mini didn't seem to reflect that. I suppose it could be explained away by the nano machines affecting the Hulk cells, etc.

I liked the smarter Hulk idea, and would like to see it explored more.

I prefer the stupid Hulk. Smart Hulk is dull. It's like giving Murdock his sight back.

I stupid Hulk too. That's why I don't read 616 Hulk. I don't care about smarter Hulks. I like him transforming into a monster and going on rampages. It's about controlling the monster within not turning into a stronger greener self.

that was...short...bad...dumb...a bad end to an amazing beginning...not worth the cost...<insert reason this was bad here>...lame...better than ultimates 3

Last edited:

I prefer the stupid Hulk. Smart Hulk is dull. It's like giving Murdock his sight back.

I didn't want a permanent change, but Hulk being smart doesn't have to be dull. Like I said, I would've liked to see it explored a bit more.

It could be because I have a strange urge to see the Hulk sitting in a lab with a huge white lab coat, glasses on the tip of his Hulk nose...doing sciency stuff.

I don't know why, but I'd just like to see that once, and I'll be cured.

I can only take so much of stupid Hulk threatening to rape and eat people.

I'm confused about the Hulk intelligence thing. Post Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk and Ultimates 2, isn't Hulk retaining Bruce's intelligence, at least to some degree? This mini didn't seem to reflect that. I suppose it could be explained away by the nano machines affecting the Hulk cells, etc.

I liked the smarter Hulk idea, and would like to see it explored more.

I figured if he was hulked out all the time he could control it. But when he's thrown into a rage like that it'll be the hulk and not banner. Kinda like green hulk / grey hulk thing.

Thought the ending was a bit standard, but still good. Would've been better if they'd had just a panel of Banner looking sad at the end. He came so close to being free forever, and now he's blown his chance - he must be SO pissed.

I didn't want a permanent change, but Hulk being smart doesn't have to be dull. Like I said, I would've liked to see it explored a bit more.

It could be because I have a strange urge to see the Hulk sitting in a lab with a huge white lab coat, glasses on the tip of his Hulk nose...doing sciency stuff.

I don't know why, but I'd just like to see that once, and I'll be cured.

I can only take so much of stupid Hulk threatening to rape and eat people.

That's true, I suppose.

Also - check Peter David's run. I think smart Hulk wore glasses in that at some point.

Better than 3, but still lame compared to 1-2.

The best part was Tony headbutting Bruce and Hulk just exploding out. That was an awesome spread.

I don't see the point of making Pete Wisdom the Leader and then just killing him though.

It would be cool if Wisdom somehow jumped into Hulk's mind and controls him in Hulk mode. I think it would be a nice twist if Hulk was actually completely evil and Banner was the good guy who had to stop him from coming out.

Also then Wisdom could be put in a more Leadery body later on and be his own (still alive) character.

It would be cool if Wisdom somehow jumped into Hulk's mind and controls him in Hulk mode. I think it would be a nice twist if Hulk was actually completely evil and Banner was the good guy who had to stop him from coming out.

Also then Wisdom could be put in a more Leadery body later on and be his own (still alive) character.

I like that.

A good end to a decent mini.

ART: Pretty good I thought it suited the story quite well. I prefer other styles though.

STORY: Good last issue scrap. After the previous issue's backstory its always good to get a good old fashioned slugfest. "normal size head, Big head guy" Not too sure about what Tony plans to do with radio devices though......

Issue: 4/5

Arc: 5/5 Great story, good artwork, progresses the ultimate storyline somewhat which can only be a good thing.

I enjoyed this too. Kind of a waste to see Leader gone already, because it was a great take on the character. Another classic Ellis Ultimization.

4/5 for the whole arc.

I enjoyed this too. Kind of a waste to see Leader gone already, because it was a great take on the character. Another classic Ellis Ultimization.

They do seem to kill off characters quite haphazardly in the UU. It only stands to reason that eventually they will be running out of stories to "re-tell" and characters to ultimize. And when that happens, what then? The UU becomes 616 U.

They do seem to kill off characters quite haphazardly in the UU. It only stands to reason that eventually they will be running out of stories to "re-tell" and characters to ultimize. And when that happens, what then? The UU becomes 616 U.

Yeah, I hate that crap. heaven forbid a character appear in more than one story.

Ultimates 2 12 was a joke.

I don't hate it. Serious villains need serious consequences.

How serious can they be if they killed after their first attempt at villainy?

You can't make a character a major villain by just giving him one arc and talking about how badass he is. It's reputation they have to gain over years and multiple stories.

Ellis mentioned on his own site he killed the Ultimate Leader in order to be the only one that ever wrote him. So, yeah...

Not really planned ahead or anything.

Latest posts

Back