Ultimate Iron Man #1 (Spoilers)

Here's a question, I just got my set of marvel ultimate team ups and im slowly going through them...and I just read the Ironman and spidy team up. In the beginning it starts out with peter giving a speech and saying this about Tony "young Tony stark grew up in Boston; his mother Maria. A simple school teacher. (a pic of Tony black haired, three blond haired kids, and a blond haired adult) A science whiz kid all through his childhood, he amassed a small fortune appearing on popular game shows.......in 1981 he attended Harvard as a freshmen across the hall form Reed Richards..."

So if this all ties in together with the current story...that would make this year...1962 when he was born? if he goes into college at 19 in 1981...but do you guys think they'll keep the same history or just make a lot more loose ends?

nigma said:
Here's a question, I just got my set of marvel ultimate team ups and im slowly going through them...and I just read the Ironman and spidy team up. In the beginning it starts out with peter giving a speech and saying this about Tony "young Tony stark grew up in Boston; his mother Maria. A simple school teacher. (a pic of Tony black haired, three blond haired kids, and a blond haired adult) A science whiz kid all through his childhood, he amassed a small fortune appearing on popular game shows.......in 1981 he attended Harvard as a freshmen across the hall form Reed Richards..."

So if this all ties in together with the current story...that would make this year...1962 when he was born? if he goes into college at 19 in 1981...but do you guys think they'll keep the same history or just make a lot more loose ends?
Oh. I was not aware of that (since I haven't read the team-ups). But I wonder that now, too...

I would ignore most if not all the issue's of Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. Yet continuity hits the wall again in this issue. Because here Tony's mom dies and in Ultimates #6 Tony tells Cap and Thor that the house he was in was the first house that he bought mom when he made his first million. So let's see how things go in the next issue.

René said:
I would ignore most if not all the issue's of Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. Yet continuity hits the wall again in this issue. Because here Tony's mom dies and in Ultimates #6 Tony tells Cap and Thor that the house he was in was the first house that he bought mom when he made his first million. So let's see how things go in the next issue.

Damn...

René said:
Maybe it was someone else...? :?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Knowing the Stark men I wouldn't be surprised if Howard found a new wife that Tony took a likeing too and called mom.
Yeah, if it was like, someone else, that's what I think would have happened too. I mean, he was born after his biological mother died....

René said:

The mom could be another women, not the one that gave him birth but the one that raised him? (i don't have my issue with me, but what was tony's birth mom's name?)

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't like Tony's new origin.

He was just a intelligent guy who did extraordinary things so far.
Why the hell did they have to mess him up?

Ricky

Ricky said:
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't like Tony's new origin.

He was just a intelligent guy who did extraordinary things so far.
Why the hell did they have to mess him up?

Ricky

What part don't you like? I mean, seeing as how we haven't seen his name mentioned, much less know anything concretely "new" about him. :sure:

I actually picked this up when I was at my comic shop. Although I didn't buy it, I did read it and, while it is serving its purpose and is very good at that, I don't see the relevance. I guess there doesn't have to be any, but I would like to know why something like this is coming out... Is it to allow Card to flex his muscles? Is it to get Marvel a audience by pulling in a very talented writer? Who knows... TPB here I come!

Goodwill said:
I guess there doesn't have to be any, but I would like to know why something like this is coming out... Is it to allow Card to flex his muscles? Is it to get Marvel a audience by pulling in a very talented writer?
What are you talking about? I'm not sure I follow you.... :?

I think people are wondering why Iron Man has got an origin other than "the shrapnel near my heart" origin, wondering why they are explaining away Tony's genius.

I mean, what's next? "Due to a freak lightning bolt that hit Mrs Parker directly in her placenta, her baby was hit with incredible amounts of remorse, and so Peter Parker became the world's most guilt-ridden teenager."

But basically, it doesn't really matter - because the story is well-written.

The reason its Iron Man is because if this series is called Ultimate Iron Man it will sell more books than if it is called something else.

When we have iconic characters like those in the Marvel universe, we have to accept that as different writers come on board, they will change and alter these characters, keeping only the iconography, and possibly genre. Just like the Jesus of the Bible is different to the Jesus of South Park, this Iron Man is different to the one of The Invincible Iron Man.

Doesn't make it bad though.

I liked the book. But I have two main peeves: that #2 isn't out till May, and that for a book called Iron Man, it doesn't actually have Iron Man or Tony Stark in it.

Should prove to be a good book though.

Bass said:
But I have two main peeves: that #2 isn't out till May, and that for a book called Iron Man, it doesn't actually have Iron Man or Tony Stark in it.
Well, come on. You gotta lay down the ground work first.

Well, I get that you're supposed the lay the ground work. But I find it unbelievable that the first episode of Buffy wouldn't have Buffy in it, or the first episode of Columbo wouldn't have Columbo in it.

Just because its 22 pages, doesn't make it exempt.

As a trade, it'll be fine. But for a monthly serial, I think its bad form. Not a moral sin, just bad form.

Bass said:
Well, I get that you're supposed the lay the ground work. But I find it unbelievable that the first episode of Buffy wouldn't have Buffy in it, or the first episode of Columbo wouldn't have Columbo in it.
That's different characters, different situations.

But same principle.

Those are serialized dramas, just like Iron Man.

Just as the first episode of a tv show should have the main cast in it, so should the first issue of a comic book.

Now, in a film you can delay the main character's entrance up to a certain point, but you don't stop the film and wait a month for each segment.

If UIM was released directly as a TPB, I wouldn't be complaining. But someone decided that they should serialize it into episodes, and that someone doesn't seem to think that there's a problem in calling a publication "Ultimate Iron Man" but not have Iron Man in it.

At least USM had Peter Parker in #1...

I just think it's bad form - but the issue of UIM is a good one.

I know it may sound stupid but "TV are not comics". Most TV episodes attempt to fit in a whole story in a 30 minite or one-hour block. Comics on the other hand at least in singles are only parts of a story so you have to accept it as that.

I know comics aren't TV. But a television show is divided into episodes, just like a comic book is. Some episodes are self-contained, and others are parts of a greater whole. But it's unlikely, even in a show as bizarre as The X-Files, that some, if not all the main cast are not in each and every installment of the series. I don't see how the conventions of TV serials are totally inappropriate to the conventions of the modern day comic.

After all, the concept of each issue being a part of a story, also know as "writing for the trade" is relatively new.

One of the main tools of this type of writing is decompression, which developed mostly in Japan (though not exclusively) due to the Japanese comics industry's method of publishing entire stories in one volume.

Now, I'm in love with the Ultimates, which has each issue part of an overall story. I mean, just look at it. Full of decompression, and each issue is a chapter, not one issue is self-contained.

But when I pick up the Ultimates, I get the Ultimates in the issue. #1 is the only issue to not have the vast majority of the team in it, and it still managed to have Captain America and Tony Stark in it.

This is also true of The Invincible Iron-Man.

I am totally fine with decompressed books that take their time in establishing setting and character, and delaying pay-offs and turning points to the most ripe of moments.

I am, however, unimpressed when a book called "Ultimate Iron Man" fails to include either Iron Man, or Tony Stark. (Not that the lack of these characters makes the book bad, I just feel it makes it somewhat inappropriate.)

I would much prefer it, if the delay of his character is integral to the story (and I'm willing to concede that point, as I'm sure Mr Card is a better writer than myself) that a book such as this were released directly as a trade, instead of being serialised.

I don't think that's too unreasonable a request, is it?

Latest posts

Back