Ultimate Iron Man #1 (Spoilers)

Bass said:
Well, I get that you're supposed the lay the ground work. But I find it unbelievable that the first episode of Buffy wouldn't have Buffy in it, or the first episode of Columbo wouldn't have Columbo in it.

Just because its 22 pages, doesn't make it exempt.

As a trade, it'll be fine. But for a monthly serial, I think its bad form. Not a moral sin, just bad form.

He was in it - at least it seems like him - we just can't see him yet. :D

@Ultimate E

I got to admit, I haven't read the issue myself yet, but I've read a couple of reviews and synopsis's on the net, and from what I've heard, the main purpose of the series seems to be to complicate Tony's background.

From what I've heard, they are turning him into a genetic mutation, in order to explain his extraordinary intelligence and his brain tumor. For me, that's a contradiction to everything the Ultimates stand for.
The reason I read comic books again is because Mark Millar recreated the Ultimates in a realistic way. They might have super-powers, but they were grounded as much as possible in the real world. Tony's brain tumor is a perfect example of it: It's something that happens in the real world, I find it interesting to read about. If they are going to mess with Tony's DNA now, they are essentially removing this reality approach, and therefore make the charakter less interesting to me.

I'd like to mention (616's) Peter Parker's parents:
At first, they were an ordinary couple, that died and left behind a young boy. It's something that happens every day, it's interesting to read about. Later on, it was "revealed", that they were actually spies, and that the Red Skull had killed them for some bizare reasons. This is what is generally called "convoluted background story", and it's the same thing they seem to be doing to Ultimate Tony right now.

And that's the reason I don't like it.

Ricky said:
@Ultimate E

I got to admit, I haven't read the issue myself yet, but I've read a couple of reviews and synopsis's on the net, and from what I've heard, the main purpose of the series seems to be to complicate Tony's background.

From what I've heard, they are turning him into a genetic mutation, in order to explain his extraordinary intelligence and his brain tumor. For me, that's a contradiction to everything the Ultimates stand for.
The reason I read comic books again is because Mark Millar recreated the Ultimates in a realistic way. They might have super-powers, but they were grounded as much as possible in the real world. Tony's brain tumor is a perfect example of it: It's something that happens in the real world, I find it interesting to read about. If they are going to mess with Tony's DNA now, they are essentially removing this reality approach, and therefore make the charakter less interesting to me.

I'd like to mention (616's) Peter Parker's parents:
At first, they were an ordinary couple, that died and left behind a young boy. It's something that happens every day, it's interesting to read about. Later on, it was "revealed", that they were actually spies, and that the Red Skull had killed them for some bizare reasons. This is what is generally called "convoluted background story", and it's the same thing they seem to be doing to Ultimate Tony right now.

And that's a shame, for as much as the characters may be written realistically or whatever, this is still a comic book world. You have to remember that.

icemastertron said:
And that's a shame, for as much as the characters may be written realistically or whatever, this is still a comic book world. You have to remember that.

I don't care very much about comic-book worlds anymore, however. I care about stories that tell us what would happen if real people could posses supernatural powers. I want to know what might happen if people living in the real world would suddenly be able to do amazing stuff.
Supreme Power is the prime example of what I like to read. So are Watchmen and Marvels.

Ultimates is pretty similar, that's why I'm reading it. And that's why I don't want it to drift off into traditional super-heroics.

But, perhaps I was wrong, assuming the Ultimate Universe would keep above cheap comic-bookish stories for long, just because it started out in an interesting way...

Ricky said:

I will only say one thing - like has happened many many times before, I think a lot of assumptions are being made based on a few pages of a much bigger story, and people are getting ideas about what they think will happen without having a clue. It's bad enough when people do this after reading a book, but when other people start to think this way based on what people have said and without even having read the book - that's a lot worse.

You'd be doing yourself a lot better service by reading the book and not assuming anything.

This all reminds me of the people getting their panties in a bunch because Wizard speculates that Ultimate and 616 Reeds will be meeting, based on one little snippet Mark Millar said in which he said nothing of the sort. And people get all crazy saying they're going to drop the book, when none of us have any idea if it is even true - it's just a stupid magazine using what amounts to hyperbole to sell more copies of their publication. :roll:

I agree with most of what Ricky says. Card put together a well written first issue with several interesting ideas, but, already, I am becoming less interested in Tony in the Ultimate U. I always liked how he was just a normal guy. Sure, he's super smart, but so are, for instance, Bill Gates and Steven Hawking. I just don't think there has to be a reason for his intelligence other than that he is that smart. Ofcourse, this idea could be used to explain his tumor, but there doesn't have to be an explanation for that, either. I liked how Millar updated Tony's heart problems by giving him an inoperable tumor, and I'm not too fond of it being explained this way.

I do think this will be a good mini-series, and that should be enough to justify it, but it isn't going to make me more interested or care more about Stark at all. This doesn't seem like a case of creating a mini-series because the story has to be told, but more like deciding on doing a mini-series (for the obvious money it will make) and getting somebody to come up with a plot to justify 6 issues.

Rant over, I can live with and still probably enjoy the story. I've got a question about the bacterial body armor, though. Someone correct me if I've missed something, but is there any reason why the subject wearing the armor has to wear it naked? It eats through skin, but did anybody say it eats through clothes?

Last edited:
UltimateE said:
I will only say one thing - like has happened many many times before, I think a lot of assumptions are being made based on a few pages of a much bigger story, and people are getting ideas about what they think will happen without having a clue. It's bad enough when people do this after reading a book, but when other people start to think this way based on what people have said and without even having read the book - that's a lot worse.

You'd be doing yourself a lot better service by reading the book and not assuming anything.

This all reminds me of the people getting their panties in a bunch because Wizard speculates that Ultimate and 616 Reeds will be meeting, based on one little snippet Mark Millar said in which he said nothing of the sort. And people get all crazy saying they're going to drop the book, when none of us have any idea if it is even true - it's just a stupid magazine using what amounts to hyperbole to sell more copies of their publication. :roll:
You always were better at explaning things.

I dug it as an issue. And it didn't need to have tony stark in it, we already know the character, he's already been introduced. It was all about the character of tony stark, knowing where he came from is important as knowing where he is now. And as for the "Buffy episode without Buffy" stuff, there have been tv shows for ever that have the "waiting for godot" episode, where the actual themed character is playing in the background to other characters to set the scene for them. It's a minor and very individual complaint you have there. I was rather intrigued by the issue perhaps because they really wanted to explain the people that bore him better than just background characters, and to give them their own 'episode'.

icemastertron said:
What are you talking about? I'm not sure I follow you.... :?

I'm asking why is this even being made? Is there going to be a point or is just an excuse to get Card in to comics?

Goodwill said:
I'm asking why is this even being made? Is there going to be a point or is just an excuse to get Card in to comics?
I don't think this is an excuse to bring Cad into comics. Iron Man is being given an origin so we can know what went on in his life before the Ultimates.

I would like to point out, that the ONLY problem I had with this issue was that Iron Man was not in it when it's called Ultimate Iron Man.

I'm not making any assumptions about the upcoming issues, nor am I complaining about the content (I actually thought this issue was quite good, and would recommend it if you like sci-fi).

My problem was a slight pet peeve. :)

Who wants to read about a baby? Unless of course, its Cads. Then it would be very "entertaining" (the horror, the horror)

Yeah huh! You said you were mad because Tony wasn't in the issue. But he was. He was the baby. His mother's name is Maria. The doctor that was pregnant was named Maria. So that makes Tony the baby in the mother, making him in the comic.

SO BOO-YA!

icemastertron said:
Iron Man is being given an origin so we can know what went on in his life before the Ultimates.

The problem with that is: I would have prefered ordinary, real-life stuff happening in Tony's life before he made his armour. It would have made the character more interestng to me.

But you're right, UltimateE, I shouldn't critizise the series before I've read it. :blush:

Ricky said:
The problem with that is: I would have prefered ordinary, real-life stuff happening in Tony's life before he made his armour. It would have made the character more interestng to me.
Don't forget the series isn't over yet. So we'll see what he does next.

Latest posts

Back