Ultimate Legacy Virus (Spoilers)

Goodwill said:
Well, I don't see the point. Really, Tony Stark with a tumor doesn't seem to change his character any and, though I'll most likely be proved wrong by the Ultimate Iron Man thing, I don't think it really would effect any character unless they are on the verge of death... Who knows. I'm with MwoF, here.
But the brain tumor won't change him in the ways that the LV will hurt mutants.

It's like if you gave, say, Captain America aids... Also, I think that tumor would completely change his life, why wouldn't it? I mean, c'mon, you can't say that a disease for one group is bad and a tumor for one person is not.

Goodwill said:
It's like if you gave, say, Captain America aids... Also, I think that tumor would completely change his life, why wouldn't it? I mean, c'mon, you can't say that a disease for one group is bad and a tumor for one person is not.
That's not what I meant. The way that the LV changed mutants, it made their powers amped up, but still had them weak. What's a brain tumor gonna do to someone? Nothing much...Not even aids to Cap'n A.

Well, the Legacy Virus shouldn't work like that if that's the case. I think that's a terrible excuse to amp a character's powers up. Maybe Legacy could be a steroid that does the same thing, but I a disease that's fatal? Nope.

Goodwill said:
Well, the Legacy Virus shouldn't work like that if that's the case. I think that's a terrible excuse to amp a character's powers up. Maybe Legacy could be a steroid that does the same thing, but I a disease that's fatal? Nope.
I don't know if that was the intent that the maker had in mind. He just wanted the mutant race wiped out.

Not read the whole thread, too lazy.
I don't think that the legacy virus should be the same thing at all really. It was brought into the 616 to orchestrate a mass culling of tired characters from what I can see. And killing a character is always a lazy act and a desperate solution.

Perhaps more of a self replicating telepathic virus as hinted at in the return of the king arc (I think it was).

I think that you're talking about the virus that QS released in Hellfire and Brimstone.

I completely agree to you, which is why I said that Legacy should be a health suppliment for mutants gone wrong. I think that would be most fair.

Nah, well, kinda. In the return of the king arc (UXM #28 ) Fury is talking to Xavier in camp X-Factor nad says "The Brotherhood booby-trapped their agents with a self replicating thought virus that corrupts and destroys any mind that tries to interface with it."
So whether this idea can be expanded on or not is upto the writers.

Last edited:
Guijllons said:
Nah, well, kinda. In the return of the king arc (UXM #28 ) Fury is talking to Xavier in camp X-Factor nad says "The Brotherhood booby-trapped their agents with a self replicating thought virus that corrupts and destroys any mind that tries to interface with it."
So whether this idea can be expanded on or not is upto the writers.
I remember that now, but I assumed it was a "telepath go in but telepath don't come out quite right in the head" sort of thing. Just a one off. It could be expanded though I suppose.

Well, that would also explain how the Brotherhood didn't leak any information, which, Fury was trying to squeeze out of Charles and eventually got it from NC. I don't think it goes any further than that.

Goodwill said:
Well, that would also explain how the Brotherhood didn't leak any information, which, Fury was trying to squeeze out of Charles and eventually got it from NC. I don't think it goes any further than that.
Wo! You're right, that does explain it. I didn't even remember on that.

Well, yeah, it sort of says it in bold face right there... This doesn't need to be elaborated on since it's just a device that allows them to keep quiet.

At present it is. But the discussion is about the legacy virus, and how this can be ultimised. I mean, they can do it the same as the 616 if they want, but why bother. It needs to take a new form should they decide to use it, and I don't think they should, at least not for a very long time. Mutants and humans dropping into comas through a thought virus seems more appropriate.

Exactly... I think it should work a lot like AID's because that's something that is ultimately fatal. To make a character stronger because of the Legacy Virus is lazy. I don't buy it and I'm with Guij, I want it changed.

Goodwill said:
Exactly... I think it should work a lot like AID's because that's something that is ultimately fatal. To make a character stronger because of the Legacy Virus is lazy. I don't buy it and I'm with Guij, I want it changed.
Without treatment, yes, AIDS is fatal. There are treatments though and, while not necessarily always effective, they can help and in many cases prolong life a great deal or keep the virus completely under control.

I don't know if you've quite grasped what I meant. What happens with the 616 Legacy virus is that a mutant can contract it. That mutants powers will begin to grow, spiralling out of control whether they were in good control of them in the first place but the mutant themselves gets progressively weaker. They have less and less control of their increasinly powerful abilities and they grow weaker and weaker. Its actually an interesting contrast to a normal disease where one simply grows weaker. It wasn't "lazy" in any way, it was still inevitably fatal until the cure was found and released at the cost of a life.

Guijllons said:
Well the original 616 version was a play on AIDS already, and certainly 'psychic interaction' of some sort could well continue this theme.
It could indeed. I'm not saying I'm opposed to changing the virus, just saying the way it was in 616. Personally, story-wise it needs to be handled differently but as for the virus itself, I wouldn't mind either way. It would be interesting if it was a psi-virus but I find the original very interesting in the first place.

I think making it a psi-virus sort of limits it. It'd be better if it could expand and infect all kinds of mutants not just the telepaths. I wouldn't mind seeing Jean or some other telepath getting infect by making a mental connection with an infected or something like Rogue when she absorbs someone's power. I think that'd make for a good story.

What if by the time the virus did come around, the students still questioned Xavier and since the times were more stressful they were really more paranoid about it. One of the students gets the virus and Xavier sacrifices himself and transfers it to himself and pulls a Cable and although he's infect, he can control it and keep it down for a while.

It's not that limited it if forces a telepath to transmit, hell it may even not effect the telepath directly, them merely being carriers, mutant typhoid marys. (not the marvel character)

Latest posts

Back