Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 4.0)

I'm very new to the forums, this is probably my first or second post...but I just wanted to thank both DIrishB and Joe Kalicki for their work on this time line. I reference this time line almost daily and will be using to help explain the UU to my fiancee (I just got her to start reading comics). Thanks alot! Keep up the good work!

Welcome!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the detail Joe's gonna be adding. It'll only help make the timeline more accessible. My version was basically for those who already owned the comics and could actively reference them. Joe's version will help make it more universally acceptable, and I can't wait to see it!

So I picked up the free Ultimate Marvel Preview issue at the comic shop today. Was reading an article on Ultimates 3 (its the first page inside, first paragraph towards the end, hard to miss), and it mentions Ultimates 3 picks up TWO (2) years after Ultimates 2, not just 1 as was always assumed. Here's the quote:

Ultimate Marvel Preview issue said:
Following up on Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's groundbreaking Ultimates and Ultimates 2, this new five-issue limited series picks up two years after we've last seen Earth's Mightiest Heroes...

It goes on to hint that this probably explains how Spider-Man is on the team (he's 18 now...say its just a little over 2 years, and it might be a willful choice for Peter to join now that they're out of SHIELD control) and why and how the characters have changed so much. So if the 2007 date in the Ultimates Saga is accurate (which now there's no reason not to consider it so), then that explains a lot of the continuity mistakes. I'm still not sure how Ultimate Power makes sense in the general Ultimate continuity (given the Peter/Kitty relationship and the Ultimates still working under SHIELD--this seemed apparent anyway). Anyway, I guess "Ultimatum" is gonna shake up the Ultimate-verse. Uh-huh. We'll see...its followed by the same preview pages we've seen online, minus the text.

Despite my previous misgivings I still find myself enjoying the books overall.

Ultimate Vision #5 was cool. The first few issues were kind of boring, but read as a whole its a pretty decent read (with #0, which is being collected in trade despite Marvel's claims that it never would reprint it--course that probably went completely out the window with them reprinting it as Ultimate Vision #0). It juggled some pretty cool scientific concepts with an at least decent story overall.

There's some blah blah about Ultimate Iron Man II, but who really cares? And if you do, go to the comic shop and pick this thing up yourself...its free. It also has some art, some pencils and inks which look really nice. No colors, and thankfully no dialogue. Probably the last time I'll ever be able to enjoy the pages (without dialogue its really great--little bit more of a defined, slightly anime-ish tone to the armor).

It has a solicit of Ultimate Human, and a couple pages of art from it (again, no dialogue). Its great stuff, especially the pencils! I preferred them to the colored version (though I can't wait to see the penciled page inked and in color).

USM has been steadily good since Immonen came on. First, it talks about the Death of a Goblin. Then it goes into the Amazing Friends arc. I'm wary about that arc though. After the AF arc, its revealed there will be:

"...a couple of intriguing single issue stories, then its a very large story that adapts and expands on the plot of the USM video game and that includes the return of Venom & Carnage."

WTF? According to Bendis himself the video game takes place "around issue 46". Now instead its making up an expanded arc adaptation of the game? So then, technically, it takes place around #123-#130...not #46. Unless the arc is a flashback to then...or its a retcon...whatever. We'll see how it plays out. At least it should put to rest the debate over whether the game is canon or not. The Preview also features inked pencils by Immonen from #116. Again, awesome stuff.

Info on UFF shows the next arc is called Four Cubed, the arc in which Thanos, Ronan, and everyone else from the God War arc return. It then features some pencils of the recently released UFF #48.

The UXM info talks about the Shadow King story in #89, then the Apocalypse story starts with #90.

The rest is minimal info on Ultimatum (or the issues leading up to it...nothing about the title itself). Finally there's two pages of art from Ultimate Origins. Most of the pages (they fit 3 onto the final page) we've already seen. The new one (at least to me) was of a war-time battle. Its most likely WWII, the origin of Cap, etc; its also possible it could tie into Vietnam, and perhaps Nick Fury's past, etc. It was said Origins would span a large amount of time, from the 30's (possible even earlier) to the present.

Anyway, some helpful info for the timeline. Glad I picked it up. At least Loeb seems to be following continuity/timeline, etc pretty close. Hmmmm...I wonder...

Last edited:
that was intense update, thanks

According to Bendis himself the video game takes place "around issue 46". Now instead its making up an expanded arc adaptation of the game? So then, technically, it takes place around #123-#130...not #46. Unless the arc is a flashback to then...or its a retcon...whatever. We'll see how it plays out. At least it should put to rest the debate over whether the game is canon or not.

I agree, WTF?? the game is cannon, how can they screw this up?

Hmmmm...I wonder...

what do you wonder?

It's 'cuz your smart. Very rarely do we get smart newbies. :)

I do what i can, I hate to look like a n00b, but i know my way arround the UU, so i try to have everything make sense in that regard...

along the lines of the Ultimate Spider-Man game (xbox), i could never get past the venom chasing the flying villain level (i apologize for looking like a n00b so soon after saying i try not to be)...am i missing anything important to the storyline?

I do what i can, I hate to look like a n00b, but i know my way arround the UU, so i try to have everything make sense in that regard...

along the lines of the Ultimate Spider-Man game (xbox), i could never get past the venom chasing the flying villain level (i apologize for looking like a n00b so soon after saying i try not to be)...am i missing anything important to the storyline?

Ha! I couldn't get past that level either. It pissed me off and then I realized I didn't actually care, so I stopped playing.

i hate any of the chasing levels, the one i mentioned earlier, the ones where i have to beat johhny storm arround the city...ohh well

i could also never unlock new outfits even when i had earned them...sad

From there, basically Peter ends up fighting some other villains, etc. He and Venom both get kidnapped, and Peter is injected with the Venom molecules (if I remember correctly, its been a few years since I played it). Peter turns into Spider-Carnage and Venom sucks all the remaining Venom molecules out of Peter's blood after a fight. Before this his costume was all black, like in the comic. The game basically shows how Venom ends up obtaining the white spider symbol on his suit.

I'm also pretty sure the reason they're adapting it into a comic is because they want to a)explain the change in costume for Ultimate Venom, b)tie into his crossover appeal in Ultimates 3, c)fulfill multiple fan requests for it to be adapted into the comic or as a separate mini (I know more than a few people on the site who wanted to see it adapted into a comic arc).

I'm also pretty sure the reason they're adapting it into a comic is because they want to a)explain the change in costume for Ultimate Venom, b)tie into his crossover appeal in Ultimates 3, c)fulfill multiple fan requests for it to be adapted into the comic or as a separate mini (I know more than a few people on the site who wanted to see it adapted into a comic arc).

You know, a lot of continuity could be made feasible if an adaptation arc retconned the game's story to now. Electro being free suddenly works, perhaps the Green Goblin returns to stasis after this arc, while Harry is the one who dies (He's the safe bet anyway). Silver Sable wouldn't know Peter's identity and would only learn it with the retcon arc, so the glaring continuity mistake could be fixed. The FAntastic Four would also be public, allowing Johnny Storm to make his appearance.

Also, the game featured the Ultimates as a movie, but never linked them with S.H.I.E.L.D., so it could be post ultimates 2. I don't want to give the writer's unfair credit, but plugging in the game now could be a great move.

Last edited:
You know, a lot of continuity could be made feasible if an adaptation arc retconned the game's story to now. Electro being free suddenly works, perhaps the Green Goblin returns to stasis after this arc, while Harry is the one who dies (He's the safe bet anyway). Silver Sable wouldn't know Peter's identity and would only learn it with the retcon arc, so the glaring continuity mistake could be fixed. The FAntastic Four would also be public, allowing Johnny Storm to make his appearance.

Also, the game featured the Ultimates as a movie, but never linked them with S.H.I.E.L.D., so it could be post ultimates 2. I don't want to give the writer's unfair credit, but plugging in the game now could be a great move.

I've been thinking the same. I wonder if any of it was actually planned or if it was something Bendis or one of the editors blundered into? We'll see how it works out.

I'm also pretty sure the reason they're adapting it into a comic is because they want to a)explain the change in costume for Ultimate Venom

Does anyone else besides me find this almost hysterical in light of Ultimate Thor's speech patterns in Ultimate Power?

From there, basically Peter ends up fighting some other villains, etc. He and Venom both get kidnapped, and Peter is injected with the Venom molecules (if I remember correctly, its been a few years since I played it). Peter turns into Spider-Carnage and Venom sucks all the remaining Venom molecules out of Peter's blood after a fight. Before this his costume was all black, like in the comic. The game basically shows how Venom ends up obtaining the white spider symbol on his suit.

The game is becoming a comic?

Kick *** I loved that and always love Ultimate Spider-man comics.

On an unrelated note to the Ultimate Spider-Man game, why did Marvel release the Ultimate Avengers (both 1 and 2) under the Ultimate title? The characters are the same (for the most part), the story line for the first one is decent enough...it fits the basics of the Ultimates, but it doesn't offer any continuity...Hank dies while Black Widow is a hero and dating Cap. The second movie is just about as far away from continuity as possible. Why would Marvel allow such a monstrosity?

On an unrelated note to the Ultimate Spider-Man game, why did Marvel release the Ultimate Avengers (both 1 and 2) under the Ultimate title? The characters are the same (for the most part), the story line for the first one is decent enough...it fits the basics of the Ultimates, but it doesn't offer any continuity...Hank dies while Black Widow is a hero and dating Cap. The second movie is just about as far away from continuity as possible. Why would Marvel allow such a monstrosity?

Because it's based off of Ultimates, whne you based a movie of something you dont have to be exact and can take liberties with it. It was never meant to be in conintuity, but to make their own continuity

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else besides me find this almost hysterical in light of Ultimate Thor's speech patterns in Ultimate Power?

Mostly surprising, especially given that point.

The game is becoming a comic?

Kick *** I loved that and always love Ultimate Spider-man comics.

I knew a lot of people would like the idea. I already played the game, so I find it kind of pointless.

In terms of the timeline stuff, three possibilities exist: 1.) This retcons Bendis' earlier placement of the game of it taking place "around #46" and places the game sometime after the "Amazing Friends" story, along with this arc; 2.) Most of this arc will be a flashback to the time around USM #46; 3.) Ben punched the dinosaur.

It probably won't be made any more clear through the story itself. :(

Latest posts

Back