Ultimate Nick Fury - Good or Bad

Do You Trust Nick Fury?

• Yes

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Unsure at present time (before events of GTA)

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters
I said I dont know if I trust him or not. I mean alot of the stuff he has done is to protect the America, then on the other hand he does alot of shady stuff to get protect people, like "killing" Banner. I dont know if I trust him.

UltimateE said:
I'd almost bet - and I mean nothing by it - that a lot of the "I trust him" votes will be Americans, and the "I don't (completely) trust him" votes will be non-Americans. Just an observation/prediction.

Nah, I said I wouldn't trust him, and I'm American. It should be noted that I rarely trust anyone, though. But, on the other hand, I always take anything a politician says with a hefty dose of salt.

iceman said:
Nah, I said I wouldn't trust him, and I'm American.

UltimateE said:
I did say "a lot"... :wink:

As in most, not all.

Really, it was an observation, and there's no need for everyone who doesn't follow this trend to point it out.

iceman said:
hell no.

yeah, i believe he's a good guy. but he's a lying, conniving good guy. i trust he'll get the job done, but i'll never trust him.
That about sums it up for me too. You know he's doing what needs done, but I wouldn't even give him $5 to pick up a pack of smokes for me.

I don't trust him at all.However I do believe that he believes he is completely in the right,and his opinion of right is vastly different to mine e.g. deploying a member of a domestic defense initiative in a foreign country,
regardless of circumstances it was outside of their jurisdiction therefore wrong(IMO)

Btw Mw/oF,about the politics of Thor/Cap thread:I was expressing my honest opinion in a discussion over a matter I feel strongly about.I realise I was likely out of order,sorry if I offended you.Really.We cool?

Well, like any person in his position, I'd say that he's had to make decisions, and I'd bet some that would compromise his integrity, but I would trust him. It's like asking if you would want to be king or the king's advisor. Do you want the ultimate decision making power and catch the heat for it, or do you want to tell the ultimate decision making power what to do and slide under the radar. In that situation, first, answer where you would put Fury and then tell me what you think. As you can probably imagine, I say he's the king.

Patriot said:
Btw Mw/oF,about the politics of Thor/Cap thread:I was expressing my honest opinion in a discussion over a matter I feel strongly about.I realise I was likely out of order,sorry if I offended you.Really.We cool?

No we're real cool. I didn't even take notice that it "looked like it was getting out of hand". I knew it was a political thread and it was being watched that carefully but I didn't think we were out of line I talked to E and Cad about opening back up but they wouldn't have it :( Oh well...

I stand by my statement in another post, Fury is not to be trusted. The all scheme of the ultimate Universe particulaly in ultimate spider-Man is that absolute power corrupts absolutly. You can note that in at least evry storyline in USM some person is enacting that theme. How long until Fury plays into that? I'm just saying that anyone with a large amount of power at least in bendis' hand will turn "evil".

Ultxon said:
The all scheme of the ultimate Universe particulaly in ultimate spider-Man is that absolute power corrupts absolutly. You can note that in at least evry storyline in USM some person is enacting that theme. How long until Fury plays into that? I'm just saying that anyone with a large amount of power at least in bendis' hand will turn "evil".
Valid point there, but I think it works the other way around.

It seems that Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Six leans towards saying that bad guys will always be bad guys. I distinctly remember Peter and Fury being very explicit about this.

I lent out my hardcovers, but the gist of what Peter said was that Norman Osborn was an evil, crazy, s.o.b. way before he jumped himself up on Goblin juice. And in Ultimate Six, Fury states that "Greedy and crazy are always looking for ways to be greedy and crazy." Which means that the only difference between the Osborn, Kravinoff and Octavius and their superpowered personas is that power gives them the ability to act on their own corrupt natures.

People like Xavier and Parker aren't benevolent and kind IN SPITE of their power. Instead, they were good people before they discovered their own power, and when they got their powers they were psychologically stable enough not to go on some kind of mad power trip or delusional thoughts of self-entitlement. Osbron, et al. were already sick bastards BEFORE they got their powers and power did nothing to change that or put that into action.

Which is why Fury hangs his head low when Captain America tells him that it's people like Fury who "will the war into existence" and determine what those wars will be about. He knows very well what having all that power means, and trying to live up to the enormous responsibility that entails is a struggle for him: A struggle to not be corrupted by that power.

ourchair said:
Valid point there, but I think it works the other way around.

It seems that Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Six leans towards saying that bad guys will always be bad guys. I distinctly remember Peter and Fury being very explicit about this.

I lent out my hardcovers, but the gist of what Peter said was that Norman Osborn was an evil, crazy, s.o.b. way before he jumped himself up on Goblin juice. And in Ultimate Six, Fury states that "Greedy and crazy are always looking for ways to be greedy and crazy." Which means that the only difference between the Osborn, Kravinoff and Octavius and their superpowered personas is that power gives them the ability to act on their own corrupt natures.

People like Xavier and Parker aren't benevolent and kind IN SPITE of their power. Instead, they were good people before they discovered their own power, and when they got their powers they were psychologically stable enough not to go on some kind of mad power trip or delusional thoughts of self-entitlement. Osbron, et al. were already sick bastards BEFORE they got their powers and power did nothing to change that or put that into action.

Which is why Fury hangs his head low when Captain America tells him that it's people like Fury who "will the war into existence" and determine what those wars will be about. He knows very well what having all that power means, and trying to live up to the enormous responsibility that entails is a struggle for him: A struggle to not be corrupted by that power.

Thank you OurChair!

For Spider-Man, the controlling idea of his stories is "With great power, comes great responsibility." This basically means, the more power in your possession, the better a person you must be. The anti-thesis to this is "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." which claims power will only make you a villain.

In order for the stories to not appear didactic and mind-numbingly shallow, the writers must write both sides with equal vigour, finding the truth in both sides. At climax, the two ideas fight until one prevails.

Im an American and I dont trust him cos everything seems to be done to cover his own tracks.. All the superpowered villians in USM seem to be all a result of his super soldier agenda.. I mean.. sure he locks the bad guys away and lets Spidey run loose (until issue 100 I suppose) but even that seems to be more to cover his tracks the way he does it

side note.. I dont think the closed topic on the Spidey forum should have been closed and just linked to here as you did because its a different perspective on Fury.. :p

Last edited:
Fury is a selfish man with an attitude fit for a selfish world. You can interpret this as you probably will regardless of what I say... I think that, to be good and bad, you have to know either side first. It could be that he's considered both, though I doubt it's in black and white. He's playing a political game, since when is it so simple to determine right and wrong? While it seems he's got a personal vendetta with Spider-Man now, he's not doing much else to classify him as a villain... He's got to save his own *** and, at the same time, save other lives, too. That's how he does it.

Goodwill said:
Fury is a selfish man with an attitude fit for a selfish world. You can interpret this as you probably will regardless of what I say... I think that, to be good and bad, you have to know either side first. It could be that he's considered both, though I doubt it's in black and white. He's playing a political game, since when is it so simple to determine right and wrong? While it seems he's got a personal vendetta with Spider-Man now, he's not doing much else to classify him as a villain... He's got to save his own *** and, at the same time, save other lives, too. That's how he does it.
No such thing as good and evil, black and white, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. You're absolutely right.
Fury does what he has to do, but I think he's a man with a vision, and that vision is not one of personal gain.

Goodwill said:
I'd disagree with that pretty much completely. He's devoted his entire life to the service of his country, giving up a great deal (wife, kids, so on) to do that, which is jut about one of the most unselfish things you could possibly do.

Where did you get the idea of the personal vendetta against Spider-man from? It's his job to deal with I&UGM's and he's been pretty damn lenient with him so far.

Goodwill said:
Thats a real good way to put it

Thanks. I just came in here and you're all arguing about something that, at this point, can't be determined without a very fine microscope. Sure, this is a comic book where black and white is nothing but it, but, with Millar, you know it's a much different one with different characters.

Latest posts

Back