Ultimate Origins series discussion [Bendis/Guice] [spoilers]

yeah, it's gotta be Quasar

Why else introduce Wendell Vaughn as a SHIELD agent in the mini, right?...Right? Oh, Bendis... :cry:

and hopefully Bendis will explain how Dugan is so old and still working for SHIELD

A combination of the super-soldier serum, nano-monkeys, and mutant genes, probably. :roll:

God, Loebendis have turned the Ultimate verse into a horrid mess.

The herald is going to be a Captain Universe of some form.

Plus, while I kinda like the Watcher's politeness and compassion (it's well-handled), the series is kinda pulling in two directions.

One one hand; it's trying to set up Ultimatum, and in that sense, it talks about the big bad to come, and all that jazz. On the other, it's trying to be an epic overview of the ultimate universe.

The problem is that the former direction (Ultimatum) is trying to set something up while the latter (Origins) is trying to resolve lots of story lines.

They're antithetical. The series continually shifts from "resolving something" to "setting something up". And as such, doesn't do either particularly well.

What's more, the former direction is pointless because that's what marketing should be about and it's one of the reasons the comics industry is so ****ing insular: nothing can be read in a vacuum. You can't just enjoy "Ultimate Origins" on its own for what it's worth because it's so interwoven with everything else. Using a mini-series to set up another mini-series is just pointless. Just put out the mini-series instead of 'set ups'.

The latter direction also, isn't an epic overview of the Ultimate universe nor an insightful explanation of who did what and how things came about, but rather, a series of "secret origin" issues that are only connected to one another because Nick Fury knows about them.

Ultimate Origins is five one-shots linked together through an Ultimatum advert.

I really think a better way to do Ultimate Origins would've been Wolverine. On his own. From all the way, back in the day. Wolverine's origin. Wolverine is a character who can easily have travelled the globe and a character that could've met anyone and done anything. What's more, Wolverine can know anything in the course of the mini and then have his memory wiped so it doesn't contradict established continuity. In fact, here you have a rather tragic tale about an immortal man who's seen the formation of the world, understands what it needs to survive, and yet all the majesty and insight is robbed from him and he becomes a drifter. Why not? That could work.

I really think a better way to do Ultimate Origins would've been Wolverine. On his own. From all the way, back in the day. Wolverine's origin. Wolverine is a character who can easily have travelled the globe and a character that could've met anyone and done anything. What's more, Wolverine can know anything in the course of the mini and then have his memory wiped so it doesn't contradict established continuity. In fact, here you have a rather tragic tale about an immortal man who's seen the formation of the world, understands what it needs to survive, and yet all the majesty and insight is robbed from him and he becomes a drifter. Why not? That could work.
I Hate Wolverine....

I love you though. That's so simple and so genius. I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Damnit

I think I have this figured out

The Herald is going to be "The Beyonder", and Ultimatum has been all along an elaborate ruse to make an "Ultimate Secret Wars" The Ultimatum being the choice between your hearts desire and ressurect whoever get's killed

It explains all the groupshot covers so far

I hope I'm wrong

I read #5. It was ****ing pointless. It says "the end" but it introduces two brand new characters in preparation for Ultimatum.

Ultimate Origins is not, in any way, the "mini-series that explains the hidden connections of the Ultimate universe" but rather, the "mini-series with lots of exposition that Jeph Loeb couldn't be bothered to fit into Ultimatum like Rick Jones or Ultimates 3 like Black Panther. Also, you already know about much of this crap but now it doesn't make sense with previous issues like Spider-Man's parents dying yet somehow coming back to life to be recorded on video tape. Also, man invented mutants even though it seems to spread throughout the human population in now discernible pattern beyond 'bull****'. PS: Nick Fury's an immortal super soldier."

Jesus, what an abominable attempt.

I read #5. It was ****ing pointless. It says "the end" but it introduces two brand new characters in preparation for Ultimatum.

Ultimate Origins is not, in any way, the "mini-series that explains the hidden connections of the Ultimate universe" but rather, the "mini-series with lots of exposition that Jeph Loeb couldn't be bothered to fit into Ultimatum like Rick Jones or Ultimates 3 like Black Panther. Also, you already know about much of this crap but now it doesn't make sense with previous issues like Spider-Man's parents dying yet somehow coming back to life to be recorded on video tape. Also, man invented mutants even though it seems to spread throughout the human population in now discernible pattern beyond 'bull****'. PS: Nick Fury's an immortal super soldier."

Jesus, what an abominable attempt.

I agree. It just seemed so unneccessary. So.......forced.

Who did Rick Jones turn into at the end? Kinda looked like Adam Strange.

:::::SPOILERS:::::

Must agree very forced. But I do embrace the man made mutant angle just for the difference of the dynamic it creates.

MUTANT/WEAPON X Black panther is intriguing. Please differentiate from wolverine. We already have a black version of Cap with Fury. Fury's realist outlook as opposed to Ultimate Cap's idealist is a good contrast. You won't see Cap mowing down unarmed Scientists with automatic weapons. Kicking a semi-conscious Banner is an far as Cap goes.

:::::SPOILERS:::::

Must agree very forced. But I do embrace the man made mutant angle just for the difference of the dynamic it creates.

MUTANT/WEAPON X Black panther is intriguing. Please differentiate from wolverine. We already have a black version of Cap with Fury. Fury's realist outlook as opposed to Ultimate Cap's idealist is a good contrast. You won't see Cap mowing down unarmed Scientists with automatic weapons. Kicking a semi-conscious Banner is an far as Cap goes.

Ultimate Cap is significantly more ruthless than 616 Cap tho. He is much more of a soldier. He will shoot/kill people. He didn't seem to have any problem pulling a rifle and shooting up Wolverine in Ultimate War. And he killed Ult Red Guardian, twice, (if you count the weird "Red Guardian" he fought in Ult Nightmare and the "Red Guardian" he fought in U2)

Ultimate Cap is significantly more ruthless than 616 Cap tho. He is much more of a soldier. He will shoot/kill people. He didn't seem to have any problem pulling a rifle and shooting up Wolverine in Ultimate War. And he killed Ult Red Guardian, twice, (if you count the weird "Red Guardian" he fought in Ult Nightmare and the "Red Guardian" he fought in U2)

The "Red Guardian" you're referring to is actually named Colonel and was not meant to be associated with the red guardian

I dunno. I can imagine it being a plot hole considering Bendis forgot all those issues of Ultimate Spider-Man that he wrote.

This didn't feel like the final issue of a mini-series

it's almost like there should have been a #6, you can't force feed us all that exposition without giving us any resolution, it's just poor story structure.

My commentary on #5:

Craig says:
T'Challa wtf?
Craig says:
What is Ultimate Origins?
Craig says:
I don't know what's happening anymore.
Craig says:
They're changing the past so Loeb's stuff makes sense?
Craig says:
That's the purpose of this mini, isn't it?
Luis says:
I dont know who is.
Luis says:
I think that was the purpose after bendis wrote it
Luis says:
"We're pushing it back so it can fit with what Loeb wrote"
Luis says:
and they "disguise" it with the excuse "loeb isnt ready"
Craig says:
This mini has lots of little bits that remind me how cool the Ultimate Universe is.
Craig says:
The page with Xavier lying in the forest with a ****ing metal spear in his back.
Craig says:
And a single tear.
Craig says:
That is great.
Craig says:
So powerful.
Craig says:
Everything he's been working towards is about to be undone.
Craig says:
He put all his hope in Erik Lensherr and he was wrong.
Craig says:
Xavier is John Locke.
Craig says:
Wait, seriously?
Craig says:
That's how this whole mini ends?!
Craig says:
WHAT THE **** WHAT THE **** WHAT THE ****
Luis says:
Is it that bad?
Craig says:
There was no ending.