Ultimate Spider-Man #90 discussion SPOILERS!!

ultimatedjf

NOTE: I've never played the USM VG, nor do I care to, so I'm OK with the whole Silver Sable thing.

Bendis actually writes a good ending for once!

There's Dell, a new inker, to fit better with Justin Ponsor, the colorist. I must agree, the book does look a bit better than it did in SS Part 1 with Hanna and Ponsor.

-Funny Previously Page
-Great Splash Page Art
-Agent Carter is back.
-Spider-Man is at his jokiest.
-Vulture is not Toomes!
-Mystery caller was an intriguing scene...
-Hey, I love that statue by the ice rink!
-The Tinkerer!? Cool. And he makes Spider-Slayers! Fury's interested.
-HAH! Flash's movie is on Lifetime (a.k.a. the channel for women)!
-Good long letters page

Dislikes

-Not much.
-Agent Carter turning invisible?

It was also good to see Bagley drawing all the X-Men again, even if it was only for a panel.

4.5/5

The Tinkerer! Sweet!

And it looks like this issue takes place before Ultimate X-Men #65 since it looks like Angel is there.

Good arc! Though, frankly, I haven't been really disapointed by USM since the superstars three mini arc. Contrary to most member, I liked Hobgoblin.

That was a fine closure. Good jokes (loved Logan laughing his *** of near the cell phone of Kitty). Good action. This whole arc had a fairly good action to talking head ratio, as a matter of fact.

Bagley is in usual form. He could draw the UXM if he ever keft USM.

I hope Peter will have a spider-man chat with Aunt may soon, though. He character is interesting but will soon grow stale if she keep being the obstacle that Peter has to run around. Beside, the longer it takes for her to figure out, the less seriously we can take her as an intelligent and strong woman. You have to be dumb or in serious denial not to eventually get at least suspicious when a super hero lives under your roof. Gwen figured it out, May should be able to.

E.Vi.L. said:
Gwen figured it out, May should be able to.
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be since I don't have those issues), but didn't she figure it out because he sneaked in or something with the suit on, and that's how she found out?

Also, not liking how Bagley draws Bobby's hair. It looked like that nerd kid from Family Guy that works for the school newspaper from Meg's school.

icemastertron said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be since I don't have those issues), but didn't she figure it out because he sneaked in or something with the suit on, and that's how she found out?

I'll correct you because you're wrong.

She got suspicious when she noticed MJ getting all flustered when she came by the house and saw Spider-Man fight on TV.

It probably added to several other things (She had noticed Peter sneaked out of the house all the time but up till now figured it was always to be with MJ). She confirmed her suspicions by going into the basement and forcing open the locked chest/cabinet where he kept his spare costumes.

Then of course, Peter sneaked back in the basement with his costume on... But Gwen was waiting with a gun in hand to confront him. She already knew.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
I'll correct you because you're wrong.

She got suspicious when she noticed MJ getting all flustered when she came by the house and saw Spider-Man fight on TV.

It probably added to several other things (She had noticed Peter sneaked out of the house all the time but up till now figured it was always to be with MJ). She confirmed her suspicions by going into the basement and forcing open the locked chest/cabinet where he kept his spare costumes.

Then of course, Peter sneaked back in the basement with his costume on... But Gwen was waiting with a gun in hand to confront him. She already knew.
Alright, thanks. Like I said, I don't have the issues, and that time, I only skimmed through the issue, and only remember that scene.

icemastertron said:
The Tinkerer! Sweet!

And it looks like this issue takes place before Ultimate X-Men #65 since it looks like Angel is there.

There are no wings on him. Maybe it's the Magician.

the watcher said:
He's been drawn without wings before.

And it's definetly not the magician. Notice the hair length, for one thing. Also, this is running along side with UXM (timeline wise), and no one knows who The Magician is. He hasnt even joined the X-Men yet!

icemastertron said:

Not in the Ultimate Universe, and Rogue is there. She did not come back till after Angel left.

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Not in the Ultimate Universe.
Ahh. I see someone has not noticed a certain panel in Ultimate X-Men #54 (I believe), in The Most Dangerous game arc, where Angel is in the Danger Room with Ali, Colossus and Nightcrawler.

icemastertron said:
Ahh. I see someone has not noticed a certain panel in Ultimate X-Men #54 (I believe), in The Most Dangerous game arc, where Angel is in the Danger Room with Ali, Colossus and Nightcrawler.

Dude I just re-read everything. He had his wings. It could be possible, that Bagley just screwed up. Or this is after, or during Date Night.

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
Start with post #20.

You'll realize you were wrong.

Anyways, to get back on topic, just saying it's a little mistake by the artist. Not the first time this has happened.

Ok, I miss that one. But Angel hair is longer, but Dazzler is not in Issue #90, and rogue is., Explain that!

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Ok, I miss that one. But Angel hair is longer, but Dazzler is not in Issue #90, and rogue is., Explain that!
Dude...

You havent read Ultimate X-Men #65 have you? There it's explained.

Back to USM.

Odd indeed.

I still am unsure if its really the Magician, but, Watcher, I do apogolize. I just went back, and did not notice it's Rogue and not Dazzler.

icemastertron said:
The Tinkerer! Sweet!

Definitly. And a Spider-Slayer! Looks like we'll be seeing some of those in the near future.

Thats not Angel, I assumed it was the Magician, the new character who appears in the current UXM arc. For one, no wings are visible (and I know he can "tuck" them in, but not into a shirt that tight with no noticeable bulge...that sounded wrong--either that or Bagley totally dropped the ball on that aspect) and the way the hair is colored seems to match up better with Magician's than any of Warren's appearances so far. I could be wrong, but I think that's Magician.

Also, not liking how Bagley draws Bobby's hair. It looked like that nerd kid from Family Guy that works for the school newspaper from Meg's school.

I was gonna say a young Eric Stoltz, but I agree, it looks terrible, at least in that panel. Suddenly Bobby has a small 'fro?

the watcher said:

Thats what I'm saying.

icemastertron said:

Where?

And like I said, if that was the case it was a trenchcoat or bulky shirt where the wings wouldn't be noticeable, something the shirt on the guy (be it Angel or Magician) in USM #90 certainly wasn't. The evidence points to it being Magician more than Angel so far in my opinion.

And it's definetly not the magician. Notice the hair length, for one thing. Also, this is running along side with UXM (timeline wise), and no one knows who The Magician is. He hasnt even joined the X-Men yet!

So what? Notice that the movie about Flash (which is based on the events of that particular arc) is on TV already by the end of the arc. This means at least a fair enough amount of time passes between the bulk of the arc and the last two pages, which must occur at least a little while after due to the time it would take to produce the movie and then get it on air. Even a few months is being very generous in the real world for something like that, but since this is the comic world I think its safe to say a few weeks or so at least. Therefore, while most of the arc probably occurs before the Magician joins the X-Men, its entirely possible that last few pages occurs after he joins, which will probably be next issue of the UXM (#68 ) and the closing issue of the "Date Night" arc. Considering the contact Bendis has to keep with the UXM writers (Vaughan and now Kirkman) to organize the whole Kitty/Peter relationship, its also entirely believable Kirkman mentioned the Magician character and so Bagley included him in the panel.

Also, Rogue is also visible in the panel, unless thats supposed to be Jean and the colorist screwed up or something. But given Rogue's appearance, and her being absent from the team until only the very end of Magnetic North, means this takes place at least after UXM #65.

My point: its more likely to be Magician than Angel based solely on the fact there are no wings...and all the other supporting arguments I threw in. ;)

the watcher said:
Not in the Ultimate Universe, and Rogue is there. She did not come back till after Angel left.

Ohhhhh, Ice got told!

icemastertron said:

Rogue is there. Its not Angel.

Start with post #20.

You'll realize you were wrong.

Anyways, to get back on topic, just saying it's a little mistake by the artist. Not the first time this has happened.

Dude, doesn't matter, Rogue's presence proves its after Magnetic North, meaning it can't be Angel.

Dude...

You havent read Ultimate X-Men #65 have you? There it's explained.

Back to USM.

Did you read USM #90?

ROGUE IS THERE!!!

Odd indeed.

I still am unsure if its really the Magician, but, Watcher, I do apogolize. I just went back, and did not notice it's Rogue and not Dazzler.

Whoops...nevermind.

Still, Rogue's being there means its after Magnetic North, after which Angel was no longer at the mansion. Also, with Magician joining the team in the next issue of UXM, it makes sense to me, especially given the time-jump for the Flash Thompson movie. It makes sense, trust me. See the timeline thread. I guess we'll know for sure next issue, when Spidey and the X-Men take on Deadpool. If Magician is on the team in that arc, it pretty much guarantees it was him in this issue.

As for the issue...I liked it. But who the hell is Blackie Drago? The name sounds very familiar, and I know its a Marvel villain of some type, but can't remember who. Was there another Vulture in the 616 universe who went by that name? I know the original was Adrian Toombes, but was there ever a Vulture II? And if so, was his name Blackie Drago? Anyway, just wondering.

EDIT: Nevermind, just searched for him and found out he was indeed the 616 Vulture II, so that answers that question. Nice surprise.

Decent ending to an ok arc. Looking forward to Deadpool and Morbius, have a feeling they'll be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, DB, calm a bit. I made a mistake myself, I admitted it :wink:. To be honest, and really, Im not bull****ng, I was reading with the lights off in my room (I was playing my PS2 at the same time).

And Im not sure if time exactly passed since before this issue, there was no movie, than suddenly there is one...

Latest posts

Back