Ultimate Spider-Man #99 discussion (spoilers)

Gouka Ryuu

It's out and there are indeed shocks through out the issue!

Kaine kidnapped MJ and wants to give her powers. Gwen is possibly Carnage. Aunt May finds out the secertand has been keeping her own secert from Peter, his father Richard is alive. Whose willing to bet he's behind the all the cloning!

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #99

Holy ****!

Bendis actually HAS been building up to something worth freaking out about!

*can't wait to get to comic book store*

Oh crap, i wish i didnt read it, darn.....gotta get it soon....
and for all those that said the clone saga wasn't gonna be good, bendis just snubbed them.....i wonder if he even reads this stuff???

It worked so well and I just can't wait until late September now! Hell even E can't b$%^@ to much at Bendis for this one.

Oh and one last thing:
Reed tells Fury about Scorpion and he orders a battalion of Spider-Slayers to be mobilized!

I. . .I. . .

THANK YOU, BENDIS, FOR PULLING THROUGH!

Although, I really, really don't like the powered MJ thing. Gwen as Carnage makes sense, and Kaine is jsut freakin' awesome.

But the best, the best is Richard still being alive. THAT is good stuff.

Last edited:

Well
they never out and out say she is Carnage. Her flashbacks are hazy but one scene has a cop shooting at what looks to be a tendril at the top of the panel.

I think I should just shut up before I ruin anymore for people.

Last edited:

How do you know that was
Kaine?

This issue just confuses the heck out of me. I remember most of the
flashback panels
from
previous arcs
but I can't really make sense of what's going on. Summary, please??

Um...
one side of his face was disgusting and not formed right. He also looked like Peter. So I put two and two together there. I am pretty sure it is him.

I'm not good at summarizing/reviewing so I'll let someone else do that.

can we just add spoiler tags to the thread title please?

Amatuers......

Synopsis:
Peter stands there in his old doorway staring at Gwen. He ask's "Who are you?" Gwen replies back like nothing ever happened. From there we get standard Bendis dialouge that sounds like excerpts from Bill and Ted. Everyone responds with a question.

We then cut to Oscorp and we see MJ still trapped in her containment tube. Crazy Shadow Guy goes on rambling about how smart he is and how he never even realized it. He says that he sees the problem with the relationship....MJ can't take care of herself. But he's gonna fix that. He's gonna make them equals. He's gonna make her like him. We get a big one-page splash with Burnt Face Peter. MJ screams.

At the Baxter Building---Reed and Sue are trying to communicate with Scorpion with very little success. The clone rambles on about some zoo. Sue and Reed both decide that this is too big for them and they HAVE to call Fury. They know Peter won't like it, but they have no choice.

Back at Peter's old house---he and Gwen try to recap what happened and how she got there. There's a couple shadowy flashback panels done in First-Person that lead you to believe that Gwen has powers and she fought her way out of some hospital. Peter tells her that she was dead and Gwen tries to wrap her head around that. All of a sudden Aunt May walks in.

May freaks out and runs back to their new house to call the cops. Peter and Gwen chase her and stop her from calling. At that point Peter comes out with it. The big secret. He tells her that he's Spiderman and all the crazy crap that's been happening has been because of him. May asks him to prove it and Peter does the same thing he did with MJ---he jumps up on the ceiling.

The best part is that May is so furious that she doesn't even flinch. Just gives him this stern look and tells him to stop it. May stands there and tries to take the whole thing in. Peter starts talking again but she just stops him mid-sentence and tells him to get out. Of course, Peter is confused and he's all like "Wha-what???" May then goes off on him screaming that she gave her adult life to take care of him and he's not even her son. Peter's done nothing but lie to and betray her. She tells him to get his ghosts and get out!!!! Then a voice is heard off-panel telling May to chill. We see the look of shock on Peter's face (before I turned the page I swore it was gonna be Ben).

There stands Richard Parker.

Again---the other best part is that this isn't even a SHOCK to May. She's all "About time. Get the kid and get out." Peter is confused once again. May gives Richard an "aw hell----now we gotta explain all this crap" look.

Quickly cut to Baxter Building. Fury is there and Reed/Sue fill him in on the whole thing. Fury makes a call and tells someone on the other end to get the Spider-Slayers ready and to meet him in Queens.

To Be Continued....

I'm so confused that I can't even rate this. It's not good....it's not bad.....it's just confusing. I'm gonna have to read the previous Clone issues and this one again and get back to you.....................

Victor Von Doom said:
Amatuers......

Synopsis:
Peter stands there in his old doorway staring at Gwen. He ask's "Who are you?" Gwen replies back like nothing ever happened. From there we get standard Bendis dialouge that sounds like excerpts from Bill and Ted. Everyone responds with a question.

We then cut to Oscorp and we see MJ still trapped in her containment tube. Crazy Shadow Guy goes on rambling about how smart he is and how he never even realized it. He says that he sees the problem with the relationship....MJ can't take care of herself. But he's gonna fix that. He's gonna make them equals. He's gonna make her like him. We get a big one-page splash with Burnt Face Peter. MJ screams.

At the Baxter Building---Reed and Sue are trying to communicate with Scorpion with very little success. The clone rambles on about some zoo. Sue and Reed both decide that this is too big for them and they HAVE to call Fury. They know Peter won't like it, but they have no choice.

Back at Peter's old house---he and Gwen try to recap what happened and how she got there. There's a couple shadowy flashback panels done in First-Person that lead you to believe that Gwen has powers and she fought her way out of some hospital. Peter tells her that she was dead and Gwen tries to wrap her head around that. All of a sudden Aunt May walks in.

May freaks out and runs back to their new house to call the cops. Peter and Gwen chase her and stop her from calling. At that point Peter comes out with it. The big secret. He tells her that he's Spiderman and all the crazy crap that's been happening has been because of him. May asks him to prove it and Peter does the same thing he did with MJ---he jumps up on the ceiling.

The best part is that May is so furious that she doesn't even flinch. Just gives him this stern look and tells him to stop it. May stands there and tries to take the whole thing in. Peter starts talking again but she just stops him mid-sentence and tells him to get out. Of course, Peter is confused and he's all like "Wha-what???" May then goes off on him screaming that she gave her adult life to take care of him and he's not even her son. Peter's done nothing but lie to and betray her. She tells him to get his ghosts and get out!!!! Then a voice is heard off-panel telling May to chill. We see the look of shock on Peter's face (before I turned the page I swore it was gonna be Ben).

There stands Richard Parker.

Again---the other best part is that this isn't even a SHOCK to May. She's all "About time. Get the kid and get out." Peter is confused once again. May gives Richard an "aw hell----now we gotta explain all this crap" look.

Quickly cut to Baxter Building. Fury is there and Reed/Sue fill him in on the whole thing. Fury makes a call and tells someone on the other end to get the Spider-Slayers ready and to meet him in Queens.

To Be Continued....

I'm so confused that I can't even rate this. It's not good....it's not bad.....it's just confusing. I'm gonna have to read the previous Clone issues and this one again and get back to you.....................

Still have four parts left, so confusing is going to happen in such an improtant arc.

Gwen'll be explained, the clones'll be explained, Richard'll be explained, etc.

I also like that they even tied in the Silver Sable storyline into this. The more mediocre arcs tied into this, the better it makes those arcs. If they explain Gwen / Carnage, maybe I can forgive the Carnage arc. Same goes for Hobgoblin and Morbius. Superstars and Deadpool were filler at best, though, and bad filler at that.

Well, that makes me want to read more.

What the heck is up with Richard?!

And Fury knows something about this cloning. He is surprised that cloning is going on but at the same time he seems to know who would be responsible.

As with the previous issue, I had to read this twice. After the first read-through, I was confused and frustrated, but after a while I went back to read it again, only this slower this time, and I tried to imagine all the voices and what they sounded like when they were saying something. Because the first time, I was really just concentrating on what was happening -- mind-blowing confusing stuff! -- and not the flow, tone, and dialogue of the story. And just like the previous issue, after the second read-through, I've realized how amazing this book is right now. Bendis and Bagley are firing on all cylinders right now, something that hasn't been happening in months and months and months. This arc is killing me; I need the next issue now!!

5/5

Just to be clear, the clone who kidnapped MJ is never identified.

Yes, it could be Ultimate Kaine, but I doubt the name will ever be used in this arc.

Honestly, with the way Bendis drags things out, this issue seemed like too much, too fast and a stark contrast to his usual style. Except for the Gwen/Peter reunion dialogue, of course.

I am interested to see where the hell this is going, but am more annoyed with this tangled web of plot twists all dumped on our doorstep at once.

Latest posts

Back