Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series

I think inter-linked continuity is over-rated.

If I were 11 years old, the last thing I'd really want to do is have to watch 800 different episodes just to make sense of a continuity that is likely to be abandoned in under 5 years when they try to restart the animated franchise.

I think inter-linked continuity is over-rated.

If I were 11 years old, the last thing I'd really want to do is have to watch 800 different episodes just to make sense of a continuity that is likely to be abandoned in under 5 years when they try to restart the animated franchise.

I have to disagree. The DC Animated Universe, TMNT, Dragon Ball, Power Rangers and Pokemon are all pretty good examples of just how voracious kids can be in terms of watching EVERYTHING having to do with their particular favorite shows and/or spin-offs.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. The DC Animated Universe, TMNT, Dragon Ball, Power Rangers and Pokemon are all pretty good examples of just how voracious kids can be in terms of watching EVERYTHING having to do with their particular favorite shows and/or spin-offs.

Yep. I was enjoying continuity before I was in kindergarten with the B:TAS, X-Men, Spidey and the Sailor Moon animated series and even moreso around age 9-11 with PokeMon and Digimon, etc. Sometimes I didn't know what was going on because I was seeing episodes out of order or had missed some, etc, but I enjoyed figuring it out and gradually putting them all together during repeats, and when I got older and was able to sit down and watch them all in order, it's been that much more rewarding, especially with the DCAU.

Last edited:
Yep. I was enjoying continuity before I was in kindergarten with the B:TAS, X-Men, Spidey and the Sailor Moon animated series and even moreso around age 9-11 with PokeMon and Digimon, etc. Sometimes I didn't know what was going on because I was seeing episodes out of order or had missed some, etc, but I enjoyed figuring it out and gradually putting them all together during repeats, and when I got older and was able to sit down and watch them all in order, it's been that much more rewarding, especially with the DCAU.

Yep. I think of it as the Star Wars Effect, mainly because it was Star Wars which introduced be to the idea, probably when I was 5 or 6 and first saw the original trilogy, and discovered the weird Marvel SW comics (the ones with the 6 foot tall, green anthropomorphic rabbit they hung out with).

if this cartoon isn't coming out until 2012, why didn't they let SSM continue for another season or two? Seriously.

Probably had to do with rights management. With Disney buying back the rights to a lot of Marvel properties, it was probably better (and cheaper) to buy Spidey back than to wait until later. Plus, the DVD sales numbers were abysmal, so that pretty guaranteed that SSM was going to get cancelled.

Captain Canuck said:
if this cartoon isn't coming out until 2012, why didn't they let SSM continue for another season or two? Seriously.

Because it wasn't originally coming out in 2012. It was supposed to start sometime around now or so.

don't give me your "rights management" and "sales numbers"!

Just because they had valid reasons doesn't make it hurt less

Totally agree, I loved SSM, I own it on DVD, and I generally hate Spider-man. I was more baffled at the canceling of Wolverine & the X-Men, that had strong ratings and DVD sales.

We've been through this several times already.

Spectacular was a Sony produced show, so obviously Marvel/Disney couldn't continue.

Besides, they would still have to hire new people since some of the guys that worked on SSM left to do other shows (Victor Cook left to do the new Scooby doo cartoon after season 2 ended) and others were probably busy with other sony related work. They still would have to hire a bus load of new people, so making a new show makes sense, especially since they don't have to pay sony.

SSM simply couldn't continue and it's not Marvel's fault. End of freaking discussion.

OK? Do you understand now? And i don't mean to be snarky.

Also? It wasn't Marvel's fault that Wolverine and X-men ended. They wanted to make a second season, but it was out of their control.

Last edited:
Plus, the DVD sales numbers were abysmal, so that pretty guaranteed that SSM was going to get cancelled.

i just thought of this the other day, but DVD sales were abysmal b/c they released them as four episode volumes for $15-20 each.

We've been through this several times already.

Spectacular was a Sony produced show, so obviously Marvel/Disney couldn't continue.

Besides, they would still have to hire new people since some of the guys that worked on SSM left to do other shows (Victor Cook left to do the new Scooby doo cartoon after season 2 ended) and others were probably busy with other sony related work. They still would have to hire a bus load of new people, so making a new show makes sense, especially since they don't have to pay sony.

SSM simply couldn't continue and it's not Marvel's fault. End of freaking discussion.

OK? Do you understand now? And i don't mean to be snarky.

Also? It wasn't Marvel's fault that Wolverine and X-men ended. They wanted to make a second season, but it was out of their control.

no, I don't understand now. It could have continued and it is Marvel's fault.

IGN.com
Only days before the huge news broke that Disney was buying Marvel, he [Greg Weissman, supervising producer of SSM] had been told that Sony had relinquished all television rights to Spider-Man, including animation, in exchange for "some concession vis-a-vis the live action Spider-Man features."

Weissman:
Sony is NO LONGER involved with The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm informed that Marvel can now produce the series, but of course, they don't have to.

Sony gave the rights to make Spider-Man tv shows back to Marvel. They gained something in return regarding the movies, but no one seems to know what. On Marvel's side, they made the deal because they (and probably Disney) wanted to be able to make their cartoons in house. They had the rights to the SSM show and could have continued it, but chose not to.

I understand that many of the writers, producers, etc were employees of Sony and Marvel/Disney didn't have access to them.

I even understand that Marvel is a business and got the rights back from Sony b/c they are more interested in making money with their properties than letting someone else make money with their properties. I get that.

From a business perspective, canceling SSM in favour of USM probably was a good idea.

But from a viewer's perspective, SSM was the best Spidey show in a long time, possibly ever. And it could have continued, Marvel could have let Sony finish making it, or even continued it themselves, but they chose not to. And that's frustrating.

Last edited:
no, I don't understand now. It could have continued and it is Marvel's fault.

Then there's nothing i can do for you. Because it it isn't Marvel's fault. There are several reasons why it couldn't keep going. It's not Marvel's fault and they didn't go out of their to end it. What ended it was all the legal stuff.

Hell, The guys at Marvel loved the show.

Sony gave the rights to make Spider-Man tv shows back to Marvel.

They gave Marvel back the rights to make Tv shows of Spidey, not the right to SSM itself. Dude, try seeing this objectively and not as a fan.

I understand that many of the writers, producers, etc were employees of Sony and Marvel/Disney didn't have access to them.

If you understand that, why are you complaining? If you understand that, you'd know fanboys would be screaming "Ruined Forver!!!" had they continued with a different crew (Which would be the only option since they couldn't get everyone back).

If you undertand that, then you know it utterly ridiculous to blame Marvel or anyone. Making a Season 3 was more trouble than it was worth.

Last edited:
They gave Marvel back the rights to make Tv shows of Spidey, not the right to SSM itself. Dude, try seeing this objectively and not as a fan.

and again:
Weissman
Sony is NO LONGER involved with The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm informed that Marvel can now produce the series, but of course, they don't have to.

but whatever, all I said was it's frustrating to me that they could have continued and chose not to, as far as I could tell the legal stuff wasn't an issue, they just wanted to do their own thing (see the above quote).

This all started with me making an offhand comment that it was taking Marvel a long time to put out the new show; that's all I meant. I don't have any interest in arguing this point any more and I'm okay with you not being able to "help me." I don't agree with what you're saying, but I really don't care that much.

No hard feelings either. <3

and again:
Weissman

It's not what Sony, Marvel or Disney said though.
but whatever, all I said was it's frustrating to me that they could have continued and chose not to, as far as I could tell the legal stuff wasn't an issue, they just wanted to do their own thing (see the above quote).

This all started with me making an offhand comment that it was taking Marvel a long time to put out the new show; that's all I meant. I don't have any interest in arguing this point any more and I'm okay with you not being able to "help me." I don't agree with what you're saying, but I really don't care that much.

No hard feelings either. <3

No hard feelings on this end either. Though i still disagree, since it seemed continuing the show was more trouble than it was worth, i don't think they ended it simply because they wanted a their own show. Which is why i think blaming Marvel is a bit unfair, heck Sony deserves some of the blame too if anything.

But yeah, we've gone way of topic. Sorry and no hard feelings. Peace bro.

Latest posts

Back