Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series

Bass said:
I... I hate Spider-Man's voice. I hate that he talks to the camera. I hate that the villains are jokes. Bad jokes. I like the chibi Spider-Man. I hate the California sunset on Manhattan. I...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8d8y4BLWtI

I am sincerely surprised by how much I hate everything I've seen so far ('cept the chibis). I didn't think it was possible for me to feel like this after such a small sampling. But I hate it.

But that's because you are a grumpy old man. :p

The villains aren't bad jokes though, in fact, this version of the Frightful Four is rather impressive. Far cooler than they normally are, even Trapster!

I think this all looks great! Not everything has to be super serious. Though I can understand if it isn't your thing.

And Bell as Spidey sounds good.

Last edited:
Oh no, I don't think it has to be super serious: I love the chibis. I don't think it's bad because it's goofy, I think it's bad for many other reasons. What surprises me is how strong my distaste is based on so little. Not usually like this.

tumblr_lty8uibOLr1qfu4sj.gif

Those clips feel more like an episode of "Saved by the Bell" then Spider-Man. Its a shame they cancelled Spectacular Spider-man for this. Spectacular Spider-man felt more like the Ultimate Spider-Man comic then this cartoon does. It seems similar to "The Batman" cartoon from 2004, a mediocre effort that spends more time getting away from its predecessor then creating an interesting story.

The Overlord said:
Those clips feel more like an episode of "Saved by the Bell" then Spider-Man. Its a shame they cancelled Spectacular Spider-man for this. Spectacular Spider-man felt more like the Ultimate Spider-Man comic then this cartoon does. It seems similar to "The Batman" cartoon from 2004, a mediocre effort that spends more time getting away from its predecessor then creating an interesting story.

Actually, The Batman was pretty good and it lasted several seasons and gained a large fanbase, don't be a hater. It also had several interesting stories. So will this show I'm sure.

And Spectacular wasn't cancelled for this, get your facts straight slick.

Spec was cancelled because Sony gave up the TV rights for Spidey, ergo it couldn't continue because it was Sony show. It be more accurate to say it was cancelled for the new movie, since they got an extension on the movie rights out of this.

Regardless, this looks like a fun show and it's cool seeing Luke and Danny with a recurring role and it's great seeing a Puerto Rican hero like White Tiger/Ava Ayala on the show.

Shows like Teen Titans and The Brave and The Bold shows that you can have fun with superhero shows and it all doesn't have to be dark or depressing. Like Batmite TB&TB, these characters have been and can interpreted in various ways, all just as valid as the other.

But it doesn't seems you were going to keep an open mind anyway.

Last edited:

Hate to tell you kiddo, Spider-man at its heart is about a retarded teenager with retarded teenager issues. Just like Saved By the Bell.

It's like people who ***** about X-Men Evo for being a teen angst soap opera, which is EXACTLY what X-Men is as its core.

I liked The Batman well enough, and still think BtAS was THE most overrated animation of my generation.

Jaggyd said:
It's like people who ***** about X-Men Evo for being a teen angst soap opera, which is EXACTLY what X-Men is as its core.

or what it should be. Or was. If it was I might be interested in it on some level. Since the 80s it's been, at it's core, about inbreeding.

or what it should be. Or was. If it was I might be interested in it on some level. Since the 80s it's been, at it's core, about inbreeding.

Really? Reeeaallly? The only large family in the X-Books are the Summers and there's exactly 4 of them in the universe. But let's let hyperbole rule.

I wish Spider-Man had more inbreeding.

I wish Spider-Man had more inbreeding.

It did for a while, there were close to a dozen Spider-characters alone for a while.

Now it's the "Everybody Wants to **** Peter Show"

Last edited:
Hate to tell you kiddo, Spider-man at its heart is about a retarded teenager with retarded teenager issues. Just like Saved By the Bell.

I liked The Batman well enough, and still think BtAS was THE most overrated animation of my generation.

Pretty Much.

In anycase, they showed the first episode of USM at SXSW and it's seems to be well liked by the people who saw it.

Really, Spider-Man is supposed to have obvious fourth wall jokes like Saved by the Bell? That's what he seemed to be doing in this.

Frankly Silver age Spidey was more serious then that clip. I like Silver age Spider-Man, it goofy elements, but it wasn't winking to the audience all the time.

I think this highlights some of the problems with those clips:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/03/im_starting_to_doubt_ultimate_spider-mans_utimaten.php

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Really, Spider-Man is supposed to have obvious fourth wall jokes like Saved by the Bell? That's what he seemed to be doing in this.

Frankly Silver age Spidey was more serious then that clip. I like Silver age Spider-Man, it goofy elements, but it wasn't winking to the audience all the time.

I think this highlights some of the problems with those clips:

[

Except those aren't "problems" at all, just your own bias opinion.

And since there are plenty of people who enjoyed those clips, they sure aren't "Problems" . And again, there is various ways to interpret these characters, and all are valid. Just because it isn't your cup of tea, doesn't make it a "problem".

If you aren't going to give the show a chance, why even post in this thread? No offense.

And it isn't serious, big deal. Not everything has to be Dark and Grim. The silver age stuff was goofier than this anyway.

The Teen Titans show did similar gags and that was a hit, it even brought in a new generation of comic readers.

Last edited:
Zombipanda said:
Good taste.

I suspect Stan Lee being a recurring character would really grate on my nerves.

Depends on the role and how often he shows up.

People liked his cameo in the episode that aired at SXSW and his role as Mayor in SHS was enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back