Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of a Goblin (#112-117) (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #117 (Spoilers)

Going to the mall isn't looking words up. I doubt he really sits anywhere and goes, "Hmm... I think I'll look up this word just for ****s and giggles."

I'd say you're wrong. People do it all the time. Peter's life isn't so compact that he doesn't get a little downtime. I'm sorry.

Do I get a prize for proving you wrong? Because not one word do even I know there, so there goes that out of the window.

I'm going to guess you didn't even look at the list.

Because the first word is "Bagel".

Actually, yes I did look at the list. Don't assume. :roll:

And I didn't notice the word, otherwise I would've said "with the exception of one word."

Now how the hell is this any different with Daredevil? :?

Because Daredevil doesn't rant randomly like Spider-Man.

It's like asking why Emma Frost would talk like Wolverine.

Actually, yes I did look at the list. Don't assume.

And I didn't notice the word, otherwise I would've said "with the exception of one word."

glitch?

golem?

kosher?

putz?

schmuck?

shtick?

Last edited:

Because Daredevil doesn't rant randomly like Spider-Man.
But he lives in New York just like Spider-Man. Just because he doesn't rant doesn't mean it's okay. He still talks.

It's like asking why Emma Frost would talk like Wolverine.

What kind of analogy is that?! That totally isn't the same thing as this. :?

Actually, yes I did look at the list. Don't assume. :roll:

Alright.

Blintz? Bupkis? Dreck? Glitch? Golem? Klutz? Kosher? Latke? Lox? Mazal Tov? Plotz? Putz? Schlong? Schtik? Yutz?

You've never heard of any of those? And those are just the more common ones.

But he lives in New York just like Spider-Man. Just because he doesn't rant doesn't mean it's okay. He still talks.

What kind of analogy is that?! That totally isn't the same thing as this. :?

How?

New York as nothing to do with it. Daredevil and Spider-Man are two completely different characters. What works for one, wouldn't work for another.

Different people have different vocabularies.

How?

New York as nothing to do with it. Daredevil and Spider-Man are two completely different characters. What works for one, wouldn't work for another.

Different people have different vocabularies.
Because you guys are saying "Well Spider-Man lives in New York, so he hears it all the time." So if Spider-Man hears it, I'm pretty sure Daredevil does, too.

Because you guys are saying "Well Spider-Man lives in New York, so he hears it all the time." So if Spider-Man hears it, I'm pretty sure Daredevil does, too.

I'm pretty sure I never said that.

But your argument is where would he hear these words and Lynx's that it's very common in New York. Not that everyone does use it.

Last edited:

I think TOG's point is that, yeah, Daredevil hears it, but because he's an older businessman who doesn't banter in fights, like Spidey, it would be awkward if he said something like that. Spidey talks like that because it's funny.

Which I sort of agree with, but it depends on the context really.

I'm pretty sure I never said that.

But your argument is where would he hear these words and Lynx's that it's very common in New York. Not that everyone does.
My argument isn't just that. If it's that common in New York, Daredevil would hear it, too. He doesn't live that far from Spider-Man's location that he wouldn't hear it at all or that often.

It's just stupid is all. "Oy" is one thing. Not the whole Yiddish language. He comes up with something else every time. It's idiotic is all.

i liked the issue, though the other ones of this arc were better.
the goblins speach bubbles looked crappy, and they (the goblins) were way too small :p

Last edited:

Sorry Lynx, but there is a huge difference between using the word "bagel" when you are talking about an object that is commonly referred to as a "bagel" by 99% of the rest of the people in the country, and someone who isn't Jewish calling a guy a chutzpa or whatever in the middle of a fight. Not even close to being the same thing.

Sorry Lynx, but there is a huge difference between using the word "bagel" when you are talking about an object that is commonly referred to as a "bagel" by 99% of the rest of the people in the country, and someone who isn't Jewish calling a guy a chutzpa or whatever in the middle of a fight. Not even close to being the same thing.

My point there was that Ice said he hadn't heard of anything on that list. In which I replied that the first word was "Bagel".

I'm sorry you seem to think that non-Jewish people are incapable of knowing certain words in Yiddish. Regardless of how obscure you think it is, it isn't impossible that he knows those words. I've used myself as an example, I've used my family as an example, TOG has stated he uses British slang despite not being British. Peter isn't fluent in Yiddish. He isn't speaking whole sentances. He's speaking words that, in New York City, where Peter lives and works, are common.

My point there was that Ice said he hadn't heard of anything on that list. In which I replied that the first word was "Bagel".

I'm sorry you seem to think that non-Jewish people are incapable of knowing certain words in Yiddish. Regardless of how obscure you think it is, it isn't impossible that he knows those words. I've used myself as an example, I've used my family as an example, TOG has stated he uses British slang despite not being British. Peter isn't fluent in Yiddish. He isn't speaking whole sentances. He's speaking words that, in New York City, where Peter lives and works, are common.
I should say that I had skimmed through the list, so I apologize for missing words that I have heard.

But it's that. Just some.

Peter might as well be speaking Yiddish as if he knows it completely. The guy comes out with a new word just about every time! I mean, I wouldn't have a problem like "Oy" or "muckk" or however you spell or write it, because those are very commonly used word. But seriously, "manisshevitz"?

Last edited:

I'm sorry you seem to think that non-Jewish people are incapable of knowing certain words in Yiddish. Regardless of how obscure you think it is, it isn't impossible that he knows those words.

That's not what I said. What I said is that he wouldn't be using them like he would regular American English slang.

Peter might as well be speaking Yiddish as if he knows it completely. The guy comes out with a new word just about every time! I mean, I wouldn't have a problem like "Oy" or "muckk" or however you spell or write it, because those are very commonly used word. But seriously, "manisshevitz"?

That's not what I said. What I said is that he wouldn't be using them like he would regular American English slang.

We're going to have to just agree to disagree here. I'm not going to change your minds and you aren't going to change mine.

Last edited:

You see.

I now know those words. You know why, because I read it somewhere.

Why couldn't he of done the same? Or seen it on tv?

I've heard shmendrick and manesevitch plenty of times before hearing it in USM. Hell, I've used shmendrick before and I'm not Jewish. I don't live in a Jewish community and only know a few Jewish people, none of which are neighbors. And I only visit New York once a year or so. And, to top it off, we don't really know what Peter hears. Queens has a pretty heavy Jewish population. We don't follow Peter's life 24 hours a day.

So, I'm going to have disagree with you here.

Okay - points on both sides; Tog and Lynx are right in pointing out the inappropriateness of myself, or E, or Ice, or whomever in saying, "THESE words, these ones right HERE - people know them. THESE ones however, are obscure and not to be used." We'll all draw the line differently.

On that point, I will agree with Lynx or Tog - it's not wrong to use "manesevich" just because *I* have yet to hear it.

However, "manesevich" is still too much. The list of Yiddish words you posted; there a list of ENGLISH words that are Yiddish in ORIGIN. English is a pigeon language, it steals a bunch from everywhere. "Manesevich" is not on that list, because unlike proper nouns (like bagel) or customs (kosher), unlike the NAMES of specific things, the words there are English words and usuable in English.

Spidey saying "manesevich" because he lives in Queens is like him yelling "Wuo Duh Tian Ah!" because he's lives near Chinatown.

The problem is this: "manesevich" is forced. What did it do? When he yelled it, did anyone continue the comic or did they just stop and go "WTF?"

That's my problem. It's that I *stopped reading the comic* when he said that because I was so taken aback. That's never a good thing. You never, at the climax of a story, want to stop reading, step out of the comic and go, "What the hell does 'manesevich' mean?!"

I think it's forced and its childish. Bendis deliberately chose an obscure Yiddish word and had Spidey say it to see how far he could take it. I think it's a bit silly of him.

I agree that Spidey could have learned it, and that Spidey could say it. I'll agree it's not horrendously implausible or out of character.

But I think, fundamentally, it was a stupid decision by Bendis because it's simply too overt a use of obscure Yiddish.

i liked the issue, though the other ones of this arc were better.
the goblins speach bubbles looked crappy, and they (the goblins) were way too small :p

Welcome Vmenge! Thanks for trying to keep this on topic! :D

Litvak's be damned, you guys are like a klutzy kibitzzer that is eating lox and blintz together. Seriously, you meshuggeners are going to make my nudnik plotz from this shemozzle.

Ya dig?

Latest posts

Back