Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of a Goblin (#112-117) (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #117 (Spoilers)

There's a difference between using Yiddish and being Jewish.

Spidey saying "Oy vey" every now and again is okay.

Spidey calling people "shmendrick" and yelling "manesevitch" is not. These are not mainstream Yiddish words. Spidey is not brought up in a Jewish community. He has no Jewish friends, relatives, or neighbours. He spends most of his time, fighting criminals, or talking to caucasian people who aren't Jewish.

It doesn't make any sense he'd even know these words.

As I say, I don't mind Spidey doing the occassional yiddish remark. It's fine. It's New York. But... Bendis sometimes takes it too far.

I've heard shmendrick and manesevitch plenty of times before hearing it in USM. Hell, I've used shmendrick before and I'm not Jewish. I don't live in a Jewish community and only know a few Jewish people, none of which are neighbors. And I only visit New York once a year or so. And, to top it off, we don't really know what Peter hears. Queens has a pretty heavy Jewish population. We don't follow Peter's life 24 hours a day.

So, I'm going to have disagree with you here.

Last edited:

You see.

I now know those words. You know why, because I read it somewhere.

Why couldn't he of done the same? Or seen it on tv?
That doesn't mean he automatically knows what they mean and know when to say them or how to use them.

That would make sense....if the writer wasn't known for doing this to all of the character he writes. If it was just Spider-Man, maybe it wouldn't be such a deal as it is now, but Bendis does this all the time. So yeah, Bass is right.

That doesn't mean he automatically knows what they mean and know when to say them or how to use them.

In the world of the Internet? C'mon, Ice, it takes two second to look up what those words mean. Plus, there's a good chance you can figure out what they mean in just the context they're used. Especially a word like shmendrick.

In the world of the Internet? C'mon, Ice, it takes two second to look up what those words mean. Plus, there's a good chance you can figure out what they mean in just the context they're used. Especially a word like shmendrick.
Yeah, because Peter is going to take time out in his life to look up Jewish words. I mean, it's not he has better things to do right?

Also, I refer to the post above yours.

I have no problem with Spider-Man doing it.

Anyone else I do.

unless it was like Kitty or MJ bantering with him.

Last edited:

It's not a question of "where would he have heard them" - it's a question of "WHY would he use them?" He's not Jewish. How many non-Jewish people do you guys know who walk around and use several different Yiddish slang words? Like has been said, if he was just saying "oy vey" once in a while that wouldn't be a big deal. But it's a constant barrage of different words. It's forced and it's stupid.

It's not a question of "where would he have heard them" - it's a question of "WHY would he use them?" He's not Jewish. How many non-Jewish people do you guys know who walk around and use several different Yiddish slang words? Like has been said, if he was just saying "oy vey" once in a while that wouldn't be a big deal. But it's a constant barrage of different words. It's forced and it's stupid.
Exactly. It's just Bendis throwing this into his characters all the time. It totally is forced and quite annoying.

That would make sense....if the writer wasn't known for doing this to all of the character he writes. If it was just Spider-Man, maybe it wouldn't be such a deal as it is now, but Bendis does this all the time. So yeah, Bass is right.

You'll have to give me an example. The only time I've really ever seen this "problem" is with Spider-man.

Yeah, because Peter is going to take time out in his life to look up Jewish words. I mean, it's not he has better things to do right?

He has no spare time? Hell, I'm busy as hell with a full time job and full time school and I still have time to post things on an internet message board. Thinking "Spider-man, work, school" is the only thing Peter does is ridiculous. Hell, at work, he's constantly on the computer. I find it very unlikely that he's working on web site problems from clock-in to clock-out.

E said:

Uh. . .I do. So do my parents. We're Catholic, not Jewish. A lot of my family who live in New York use it too.

Last edited:

Uh. . .I do. So do my parents. We're Catholic, not Jewish. A lot of my family who live in New York use it too.

Point being that you are an anomaly.

You'll have to give me an example. The only time I've really ever seen this "problem" is with Spider-man.
It's been known he's even done this to Daredevil.

He has no spare time? Hell, I'm busy as hell with a full time job and full time school and I still have time to post things on an internet message board. Thinking "Spider-man, work, school" is the only thing Peter does is ridiculous. Hell, at work, he's constantly on the computer. I find it very unlikely that he's working on web site problems from clock-in to clock-out.
He's barely even at his job. Spare time? He doesn't know the existence of those words.

I always figured he just picked them up from TV or something and just started using them because he thought they were funny.

To be honest--the Yiddish really doesn't bother me. At all. I see it no differently than any other language-oriented slang. I know people who say stuff like "Ay Dios Mio!" or "Caramba!" or other phrases. So I see it no differently than that.

Point being that you are an anomaly.

Yes, my family are the only non-Jewish people in the world who use certain Yiddish slang words.

E, that's a terribly argument. Really.

Yes, my family are the only non-Jewish people in the world who use certain Yiddish slang words.

E, that's a terribly argument. Really.
I'm pretty sure he was joking there and you're taking it too seriously.

It's been known he's even done this to Daredevil.

Seeing as Daredevil is right smack in the middle of Manhattan, it makes sense.

He's barely even at his job. Spare time? He doesn't know the existence of those words.

He's had time to go to the mall or on dates with MJ. He seems to have enough free time to do that.

As for barely being at his job, he's there long enough that they don't fire him. He probably puts in 15 to 20 hours a week. That's a lot of time.

I always figured he just picked them up from TV or something and just started using them because he thought they were funny.

To be honest--the Yiddish really doesn't bother me. At all. I see it no differently than any other language-oriented slang. I know people who say stuff like "Ay Dios Mio!" or "Caramba!" or other phrases. So I see it no differently than that.

Thank you.

Here, check out this list. I guarantee you a lot of you use some of these words without even thinking they're Yiddish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin

Ice said:
I'm pretty sure he was joking there and you're taking it too seriously.

Maybe. It just seems like you all put far too much emphasis on this Yiddish thing when it's usage is more common then you think. If you don't hear it often, you're probably going to think its usage is off. For someone who lives in New York City, hell, even Long Island, where there's a Jewish deli on every corner, it's even more common.

Last edited:

Seeing as Daredevil is right smack in the middle of Manhattan, it makes sense.
Nope, it's just as stupid.

He's had time to go to the mall or on dates with MJ. He seems to have enough free time to do that.

As for barely being at his job, he's there long enough that they don't fire him. He probably puts in 15 to 20 hours a week. That's a lot of time.
Going to the mall isn't looking words up. I doubt he really sits anywhere and goes, "Hmm... I think I'll look up this word just for ****s and giggles."

Thank you.

Here, check out this list. I guarantee you a lot of you use some of these words without even thinking they're Yiddish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin
Do I get a prize for proving you wrong? Because not one word do even I know there, so there goes that out of the window.

Last edited:
I'm with Lynx.

See if this was Daredevil, than it would be stupid.

Nope, it's just as stupid.

Going to the mall isn't looking words up. I doubt he really sits anywhere and goes, "Hmm... I think I'll look up this word just for ****s and giggles."

Do I get a prize for proving you wrong? Because not one word do even I know there, so there goes that out of the window.

Klutz? Bagel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back