Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem #1-2

The Jonah/Bugle stuff is great, and the MJ/Tony Stark interview. Unfortunately then the majority of the comic is a flashback/ 'untold' tale/Iron Man team-up thing. With Ult Hydra making their rather underwhelming and pointless debut. As Immonen drew the good, relevant stuff and Bagley drew the filler, I suspect that this actually was a framing device for a rejected story from a couple of years back. Rejected for good reason.

Perfect review. Completely agree, the scenes at the Bugle were powerful and well written and drawn. The flashback stuff was pointless...it happened, but could've been forgotten about immediately and nothing about Ultimate Spider-Man would have changed.

Still, worth a read merely for the Immonen portion.

I've just found time to read it.The Jameson part was awesome, I really felt his ideas could change ((yet I expect a "Spider-Man 2" kind of turn, and him getting all mad at Spidey for some reason in a second!))...

Well, the fight was unnecessary and Iron Man was a bit too 616 for a comic tagged "Ultimate" but that of course is the smallest problem we have with the Ultimate Universe these days.

What I actually enjoyed was the Stark/MJ interview.I love how Stark talked about his motivations.They sound like the exact opposite of how Peter is motivated to do the superhero thing.Lovely...

"oh! I wear a mask, so that noone can hurt anyone close to me...."
"oh! I don't wear a mask because I am not afraid of getting hurt..."

I have a question.

IS the ultimate series, seriously trying to ignore Ultimate Iron Man mini series. It feels like it is. I mean the prototype featured in this was not in the mini series. We have an unexplained brother appearing out of nowhere which was not featured in the series.

I mean it doesn't bother me to much but they should still stick to some sort of continuity.

I have a question.

IS the ultimate series, seriously trying to ignore Ultimate Iron Man mini series. It feels like it is. I mean the prototype featured in this was not in the mini series. We have an unexplained brother appearing out of nowhere which was not featured in the series.

I mean it doesn't bother me to much but they should still stick to some sort of continuity.

The UIM minis sucked so there is no need to stick to them.

I find it hard to give a damn about this because it's linked to Ultimatum. I dropped all the Ultimate titles a while back and don't plan on picking any of them up again until Ultimate Avengers hits the stands. I will agree with S&P from flipping through it, it IS a better story. However, saying a story written by Bendis is better than almost the same story written by Loeb is a no-brainer.

At the same time, I was impressed mostly by one thing: unlike a typical Bendis book, there weren't a lot of word balloons for quite a few pages. I am almost shocked that Bendis was able to write a story without Spidey essentially narrating 80% of it.

I have a question.

IS the ultimate series, seriously trying to ignore Ultimate Iron Man mini series.

Maybe.

It feels like it is.

Ok.

I mean the prototype featured in this was not in the mini series.

So?

We have an unexplained brother appearing out of nowhere which was not featured in the series.

Easily explained as it being Tony's half-brother (son of Tony Sr. and Loni from UIM 1 & 2). For whatever diabolical reason, Loni kept Tony's half-brother a secret until after UIM 2, but before (by at least ten years) Ultimate Avengers.

Its best to come up with your own explanations and not rely on the writers for continuity explanations. They hardly ever bother.

Hm...

Do you think they should feel obligated to?

Not when it sacrifices the story, however, I haven't seen that happen yet in the Ultimate verse. So far, in terms of continuity, any mistakes seem entirely accidental and not linked to "needing a character in a story" or whatnot. Instead, the continuity mistakes of the Ult verse seem to be merely due to the writers and editors not paying attention.

And thats what annoys me...

Not when it sacrifices the story, however, I haven't seen that happen yet in the Ultimate verse. So far, in terms of continuity, any mistakes seem entirely accidental and not linked to "needing a character in a story" or whatnot. Instead, the continuity mistakes of the Ult verse seem to be merely due to the writers and editors not paying attention.

except for when Bendis just flat out ignores his own continuity

you honestly think that he's so stupid that when he wrote Ultimate Origins he forgot that Peter Parker was at least eight when his parents died and made him an infant when the Hulk killed them?

See a preview of the last issue before Vol. 2 here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=3103&disp=table

F.Y.I. if you want to check out the other preview, they goofed the links. I didn't check all of them. But the ones I did, didn't lead to the previews I wanted to see.

Also there is no preview of Ultimatum #5. (man, Loeb is stretching this out as long as he can. I want this to end.)

Latest posts

Back