Ultimate Spider-man: War of the Symbiotes (#123-128) (Spoilers)

I found this issue to be the weakest of this arc. So much dialogue that was putting me to sleep. It didn't feel like the story moved much.

I found this issue the best one of the series so far. The return of Gwen and Eddie wanting the suit back. This is the only book Bendis' dialogue doesn't usually bother me.

my guess is this arc will have an ending very much like that of the game except instead of absorbing the carnage out of Peter Venom will absorb them out of Gwen. And we'll find out that she isn't a clone, but they reanimated her corpse using Carnage DNA as a first step toward cloning.

Although Bendis still hasn't explored Miles Warren very deeply...

Issue was good. The art keeps getting better.

Also, why doesn't Peter just come back at Eddie? Eddie's powerless now. Peter's got the spider ability. Don't take something like Eddie's threat like an ADHD person.

my guess is this arc will have an ending very much like that of the game except instead of absorbing the carnage out of Peter Venom will absorb them out of Gwen. And we'll find out that she isn't a clone, but they reanimated her corpse using Carnage DNA as a first step toward cloning.

Exactly.

I'm sure he'll get around to him eventually. Hopefully he fleshes out the character in an interesting and worthwhile way so his Ultimization isn't wasted (a la Deadpool, Omega Red, etc).

That's pretty much what happened, though there is a small fight scene between the two.
At the end, Venom is seen talking to someone on a park bench again- he venoms out and the man absorbs him into a little machine, and then flies off, revealing himself as the Beetle!
His destination is Latveria! DOOM!

Anyway, that's essentially the arc. It was never about any furthering of Eddie's character. Just a five months so Bendis could renig on his mistake of killing Gwen.

I wish we had more time after this arc to show everyone getting situated with Gwen, especially those who are unaware of the fact that Peter is Spider-Man (classmates, and such).
But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
ULTIMATUM!

I loved the interactions between Tony and Peter... They always make a good team... I really liked the pre-civil war stuff in 616 with Peter becoming his assistant, and honestly i'd love to see that happen again.

who called it?

(that'd be me)

I liked it! It was fun.

But why did carnage turn into gwen again? I cant remember. She wasnt the only person it absorbed, was she?

Can someone give a summary... I had to work a 12 hour shift yesterday and was unable to pick up my comics.

who called it?

(that'd be me)

You called it.

the watcher said:
Can someone give a summary... I had to work a 12 hour shift yesterday and was unable to pick up my comics.

Basically, Eddie shows up at Peter's house, Aunt May pulls a gun on him, and Eddie takes it away from her. Peter smacks Eddie, and then takes him away from his house to talk some sense into him. Gwen/Carnage follows, and attacks Eddie. By doing so, he absorbs the Venom and Carnage symbiotes out of her, leaving her healthy body intact. Venom/Eddie leaves, and Peter follows. Venom tells Spidey/Peter that he has what he wants (the symbiote) and doesn't want to fight anymore. Peter and May discuss Gwen's situation with Tony Stark and Carol Danvers, and its settled that Gwen can go home with Peter. Its then shown that the guy talking to Eddie on the park bench is in fact the Beetle, who absorbs Eddie/Venom into some weird wrist gadget and takes off towards Latveria.

I liked it! It was fun.

But why did carnage turn into gwen again? I cant remember. She wasnt the only person it absorbed, was she?

nope, and she wasn't even the last person Carnage absorbed. Not to mention that as it was absorbing people in the carnage arc it was becoming more and more like Richard Parker, trying to complete the damaged DNA, so it wouldn't be Gwen, that makes no sense. Oh yeah, and then there's the little detail that Peter dropped the original Carnage into a smokestack and burned it.

To be honest, i'm pretty unsatisfied with this. I don't mind Gwen coming back, but again, Bendis is ignoring his own continuity. And it's not like he couldn't have found a better solution. This Gwen could have been rejuvinated from her corpse using Carnage and Venom samples and some of her own DNA to reverse what Carnage did to her. This could have been the first step towards learning how to clone Peter Parker. That would have made A LOT more sense.

Oh, well it was enjoyable except for that. And I'm looking forward to seeing how this concludes with Doom. Maybe he'll make a venom bomb and drop it on New York City and the Avengers will all turn into symbiotes... oh wait.

Latest posts

Back