Ultimate Spiderman #102 discussion (Spoilers)

Bingo. I mean just imagine a handbook entry after this.

Gwen Stacey: Gwen Stacey was killed by the homocidal creature, Carnage. She later reappeared when the C.I.A. revived by [explain Stacey Project] and now lives on... etc...

Hello! Why did they created the Ultimate Universe?

Wasn't one of the points of the Ultimate U to update old stores. . .? I mean. . .even though there are things I don't like about this Clone Saga, I do think it's better than the crapfest 90s version. And it's only 3 more issues. . .

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Ok, i just got the issue and have read it and....well I'm ok with it. There have been better, but this makes up for last issue's crapfest. I liked the introduction of Cassandra Webb, and the clones, well i hope that Spider-woman and Tarantula stay alive. I actually think Tarantula looks....cool IMO, and at least he doesn't look like Peter. And why does MJ look like a squirrel? I swear at the end she was a giant red squirrel....

2.5/5

Bendis should do his Ultimate Knights and then leave.

I think Bendis is taking the scorched earth policy to leaving this book.

He did that with Daredevil except it was really good, and it helped that Brubaker is a genius.

It is also worth noting that while scorched Earth worked on Daredevil, it was because it worked within the storytelling confines of the book. In other words, Milla didn't get turned into a ****ing furry monster.

I think Bendis is taking the scorched earth policy to leaving this book. He's going to destroy his own creation rather than hand it over to someone else. What better way to destroy a Spider-Man book than to turn MJ into a goblin, kill Gwen then bring her back as Carnage, have Aunt May have a heart attack, turn his enemies into pathetic throwaway joke characters, and make Spider-Man into a total wuss that needs to be saved by everyone. Bagley had the good sense to walk away, but Bendis will be here pissing us off for years to come.

This is true. How is another writer supposed to come on from here and continue writing the book? It's impossible.

This is true. How is another writer supposed to come on from here and continue writing the book? It's impossible.
Impossible? I see many storylines for exemple:
- what happend to hammer industries?
-we still have the outcome of the videogame
- and my first let peter face the social consequences of the last three arcs.
(umm hello how's is he going to explain that gwen goes to school again?)
and of course let him meet the defenders

This entire thing is creepy. What is wrong with these people? Were they born without morals? They took a clone of Peter, turned him/her into a girl! Then had the audacity to gloat about what an achievement she is to her. They took a clone of Peter, and gave it uber Spider-ness, resulting in a guy who will safely never get a date! ( He's the creepiest looking )
And then, if the Scorpion trys to get out of his suit, he'll kill himself?paralyze whatever. Not to mention Kaine, a clone who is covered in burns/scars. How can these people look at themselves in the mirror!

Like I said, Ben Reilly needs to get punched in the nuts. Badly. At least Gwarnage finished off a bunch of 'em. Also, I totally want someone to be all, "I paid taxes to create these freaks?" because it amuses me for some reason that the CIA created them.

For those people who say that Bendis is following a scorched earth policy--duh. That's the point of this arc, to change the status quo. After this arc, Peter's not going back to normal, he's going to be in the Witness Protection Program or under SHIELD training or living with his dad. He's not going to just carry on his normal life. And if he does, if Bendis just erases everything and has Peter continue his normal life... I will drop this title. That's right, I love this clone saga, I didn't mind Deadpool and I can even tolerate MJ Goblin, but if Bendis just has everything go back to normal I will never read this title again because the only thing worse than a ****ty story (which I don't even think this is) is *****ing out and not following through with the consequences, even though they would have major ramifications. That's right, The Other, I'm looking at you.

Rereading it I reckon Bendis could've averted certain disaster if he had only utilized Madame Webb. He could've saved us the fluff dialogue between Peter and Jessica if he had only erased Jessica's memory so that she'd be an entirely different character, despite the fact that she was created from a blood sample of Peter's. There were a lot of ways around the awkwardness, but to fill an issue, Bendis omitted all sense and just let the weird scene play out... I don't necessarily agree with that bit, but I'll live with it.

I think Bendis is taking the scorched earth policy to leaving this book.

Yeah, but didn't Bendis say that he was going to be on the book for a long time to come? Why would he destroy the book, only to stay on another 100 issues?

After Bagley leaves, I hope Bendis ends the Genetic and Knights storylines, and does something fresh with Immonen. It only makes sense. . .

He did that with Daredevil except it was really good, and it helped that Brubaker is a genius.

It is also worth noting that while scorched Earth worked on Daredevil, it was because it worked within the storytelling confines of the book. In other words, Milla didn't get turned into a ****ing furry monster.
I haven't read his Daredevil stuff yet, but I've been meaning to. Is it that good? How far back would you suggest I go?
It can be done. It just can't be done well. Whoever takes up writing duties on this book when Bendis leaves is boned.
That all sounds terrible.
For those people who say that Bendis is following a scorched earth policy--duh. That's the point of this arc, to change the status quo. After this arc, Peter's not going back to normal, he's going to be in the Witness Protection Program or under SHIELD training or living with his dad. He's not going to just carry on his normal life. And if he does, if Bendis just erases everything and has Peter continue his normal life... I will drop this title. That's right, I love this clone saga, I didn't mind Deadpool and I can even tolerate MJ Goblin, but if Bendis just has everything go back to normal I will never read this title again because the only thing worse than a ****ty story (which I don't even think this is) is *****ing out and not following through with the consequences, even though they would have major ramifications. That's right, The Other, I'm looking at you.
Get ready to drop the book.
Rereading it I reckon Bendis could've averted certain disaster if he had only utilized Madame Webb. He could've saved us the fluff dialogue between Peter and Jessica if he had only erased Jessica's memory so that she'd be an entirely different character, despite the fact that she was created from a blood sample of Peter's. There were a lot of ways around the awkwardness, but to fill an issue, Bendis omitted all sense and just let the weird scene play out... I don't necessarily agree with that bit, but I'll live with it.
I wouldn't rule out the female clone getting the Jessica Drew memories just yet. If she ends up in SHIELD custody it could still happen.

Like McCheese said, those are all terrible. They also all continue on from Bendis' arcs, and if we're going to do that, we should just leave Bendis on the title. :(

Like McCheese said, those are all terrible. They also all continue on from Bendis' arcs, and if we're going to do that, we should just leave Bendis on the title. :(

But. . .he IS going to be on the title for awhile. :?

I haven't read his Daredevil stuff yet, but I've been meaning to. Is it that good? How far back would you suggest I go?

Tell you what - ask that in the DD thread and I'd be happy to help you out.

I am glad Bendis is staying on the book for a while, cause face it, I doubt anyone would be able to give the book the same feel it has had. I dislike about the last 20ish issues ( Several in the last 5 strongly ), but before that, this book was miles above all the rest.
If he can bring the book back to what made it so fantastic, the Peter Parker angle, and do away with the status quo changing/ excess amount of team-ups, it would work. We know he is capable of some fantastic stories. He needs to can the Spidey for a while and bring back Peter and his life and his supporting cast, he writes that so well.

I actually liked this issue a good deal. I like the way Tarantula looked, but not the way MJ looked (That guy was right, she looked like a squirrel). I really liked all the little dialogue but the art was sometimes just awful. The worst panel I have ever seen in my life was in this issue and it was when Peter and Jessica were....yelling at each other? It was just a horrible panel.

Other than that, I am glad that Doc Ock is back and I am wondering what he is planning.

Come on Bendis, just a little more! 3.5/5

To wrap up what I've just read in these 2-3 pages.

Millar made Ultimate Luke Cage powerless and joke, because Bendis killed off Ultimate Beast, which was Millar's favorite X-Man on the book.

Scorched earth policy...

Oh **** yeah.

The title will flop before another writer gets his better stories on this book. After reading New Avengers, House of M, and Ultimate Spider-Man recently...I'm glad he's not taking over Ultimates 3.

gliderpilotgirl...

I used to think this WAS the best Spidey title out there, but man-o-man does Bendis have a hard on for destroying that. And an unmasked Peter in 616 might either raise sales, or back fire, and I'm sure that Marvel (and older spidey fans) would have loved for this book to be a fall back incase the unmasking stories go bad (I don't think they will, but Bendis could have gained some readership had he stuck with what made USM and Spidey in general so well loved).

Latest posts

Back