Ultimate Thor!

Dancanread

Bleeding Cool says we're getting an Ultimate Thor from Jonathan Hickman and Carlos Pacheco!!

FORSOOTH!

Hickman is the anti-Loeb.

Interesting idea, but I'd be more excited if the character wasn't already ruined.

Might be good, and I'll give it a shot because it's Hickman, but as to the concept: I don't care. Ultimate Thor is dead and gone. This is just a retelling of regular Thor and nothing else. Ultimate Thor is one of the most tragically wasted new superheroes in the last twenty years, it hurts every time he's brought up.

To put it another way; if it was "Hickman takes over Thor", I'd be 100 times more excited.

I hope Hickman de-616es Ultimate Thor and brings him back to his New Age, Norse Jesus roots... If anyone can manage that, its cetainly Hickman.

See, but why don't they have writers like Jonathan Hickman writing the rest of the Ultimate universe?

Interesting idea, but I'd be more excited if the character wasn't already ruined.

Might be good, and I'll give it a shot because it's Hickman, but as to the concept: I don't care. Ultimate Thor is dead and gone. This is just a retelling of regular Thor and nothing else. Ultimate Thor is one of the most tragically wasted new superheroes in the last twenty years, it hurts every time he's brought up.

To put it another way; if it was "Hickman takes over Thor", I'd be 100 times more excited.

THIS.

If it was Hickman taking over Ultimate Thor right after Ultimates 2, then this would be my new favourite title.

I want Fraction's Thor to come out already.

Eh. Who cares what imprint it happens in? The truth of the matter is, an origin like that couldn't be told in the mainstream universe because all that stuff is already established. I'm not going to let Loeb's ****ty stories intrude on the worth of this one.

Yeah it could, Zombi. His new ongoing SHIELD is just a total "yeahbutwhat" fest set in the original Marvel universe. He could easily redo Thor in the same way.

The description on Bleeding Cool makes it sound like a prequel... which would mean it could entirely ignore Loeb's stuff. This could be excellent.

Does it really matter, though?

Kinda. Ultimate Thor used to be very different to his original counterpart, and was a brilliant take on the character. He has been so thoroughly neutered that Hickman wanting to give him more of a Asgardian background only serves to further homogenize Ultimate and original Thor, which is unfortunate.

Another way to look at it is that Hickman could polish a battered statue (original Thor) or he could polish a melted turd that used to be a statue (Ultimate Thor), and he's doing the latter, which is just less appealing.

Note; this is about appeal, not execution as I have no idea what it's going to be like. I just mean that I am far less excited because this is Ultimate Thor than if it was original Thor. The only way this would change is if Hickman said, "I'm going to return Ultimate Thor to the type of character hwas when he first appeared." Then I'd be interested.

He has been so thoroughly neutered that Hickman wanting to give him more of a Asgardian background only serves to further homogenize Ultimate and original Thor, which is unfortunate.
Wait, Thor's gay now? Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Kinda. Ultimate Thor used to be very different to his original counterpart, and was a brilliant take on the character. He has been so thoroughly neutered that Hickman wanting to give him more of a Asgardian background only serves to further homogenize Ultimate and original Thor, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, I felt like Millar neutered the character already with the finale of Ultimates 2. While it was pretty clear before the finale that Thor really was a god, he really just sucked most of the juice out of the character by going so far as having pretty generic looking Asgardian characters come storming through Washington DC.

But, uh, homogenization doesn't sound like what Hickman's doing at all to me. The article mentions a connections between the gods and Nazi machinations, which suggests a more blood and thunder approach to the gods of Asgard, which honestly, I've felt is the smartest move they could make for the character since U2 finished. They're gods. They should be terrifying entities. It also suggests the various gods having a role in the history of the Ultimate Universe which suggests something more steeped in conspiracy and secret histories than the mainstream stories.

Bass said:
Another way to look at it is that Hickman could polish a battered statue (original Thor) or he could polish a melted turd that used to be a statue (Ultimate Thor), and he's doing the latter, which is just less appealing.

I think of it like this. In the Ultimate Universe, Thor is a character who's presently not getting much play, who was generally treated strongly until the end of the second series of Ultimates and only had a few issues of ****ty breakdown by Loeb. If Hickman rehabilitates Ultimate Thor that gives him free reign to do practically whatever he wants with the character, without having to wrestle with crossovers or worries about ruining the brand name, without having to trudge through decades of continuity to make his take on the character, free to make massive changes without fear of reprisal. And that's really what the Ultimate Universe should be. I'd love to see Ultimate Avengers and the new volume of Ultimates taken off the shelf and replaced by Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, with prestige creators given free control over the characters. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back