Ultimate X (Loeb/Adams)

Yeah, how is New Ultimates such trash and this so...readable? I actually don't mind spending money on this, nor am I afraid of what Loeb will do to Liz next issue.

Wow, for some reason I really thought it was a mini. And I usually have all my comic book facts straight. Hm.

So did I.

And after reading #3, I'm glad it is an ongoing.

were the thought bubbles from the brother or the winged kid? and is the kid new?

Last edited:
I finally got around to reading the first three issues of this series.

I downloaded them.

The Ultimate Line was got me into comics, and I faithfully bought all the paperbacks until I caught up with the single issues. When I read the first issue of Ultimates Three I was out of comics for a while. Everything he wrote was stupid and insulting to the writers that had come before him, especially on the Ultimates.

So even though I want to try the Ultimate universe again, I held off on the Loeb stories because I didn't want to be disenchanted for a second time. The first two issues confirmed my fears... but the third was OK. Had I not been biased against the author, I would have thought the writing had the potential to be engaging.

Until I read a good issue of Ultimate X, though, I'm not going to pay for any of it. I probably won't even read past the first arc. It doesn't seem like required stuff.

My question is why does a book with mostly original characters get a professional effort and a continuation of a series get crapped all over? This is a serious attempt at emotional writing, with little to no humor (and thank God because what little there is sucks). Nearly any page of Ultimates 3 out of context sounds like a parody of superheroes or action movies.

Last edited:
The first two issues confirmed my fears... but the third was OK.

Really? This series reads completely different to me than anything else I've read by him. I've only read each issue once but I don't think I'd be able to tell it was a Loeb book if it didn't have his name on the cover. I thought it was pretty engaging and understandable.

My question is why does a book with mostly original characters get a professional effort and a continuation of a series get crapped all over?

Baffling, inn'it? I wish I knew the answer. I'm sure Ultimates 2 sales were better than the original series, so I wouldn't have thought there would be any reason to throw it away like they did. If you can't get Mark Millar back to write a quality story, wait until you can get someone else. I don't understand it either.

Really? This series reads completely different to me than anything else I've read by him. I've only read each issue once but I don't think I'd be able to tell it was a Loeb book if it didn't have his name on the cover. I thought it was pretty engaging and understandable.

Ultimate X #1 was at the time I read it my favorite Loeb comic, but it was still, in my opinion, pretty terrible. Not because of the problems the very existence of Wolverine 2 creates that others have pointed out in this thread, but because of clunky narration and worse dialogue.

It actually reminded me of when Aron Coleite was given Ultimate X-Men because he was Loeb's friend and thus wouldn't try to impose his own vision on Ultimatum. Every issue began with a character narrating 'I always wanted to be a hero', I guess because they were characters in a superhero story.

In Ultimate X the narration is cheesy and melodramatic (in my opinion). In Ultimates 3, the dialogue was as close to objectively bad as it gets, and here I just didn't like it.

Also, as an example, it was not realistic, nor dramatic, or funny to have the girl he was with say 'You are one of them and I was going to let you -- gross'. In my opinion that's the kind of writing that doesn't work on any level.

Each issue is a little better though, so like I said, I'll at least finish the first arc.

I think this series is quite good really. I just think people want to hate Loeb because he has done some really bad work. Ultimate Comics X has been very good so far, although i am not looking forward to seeing Hulk in the series, i get images of one of the worst comic annuals in history of comic books (Ultimate Hulk Annual 1). But i am enjoying it very very very much.

Issue four will be out later this month. Honestly I gave up thinking thas ever going to be finished. Well here's a preview of issue #4.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=8010&disp=table

According to the solicitation you're the only one who forgot:

The Ultimate Universe's most talked about series continues! Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker's classmate Liz Allen vanished after Ultimatum. Where has she been hiding and what connection does she have to the terrible horrible Blob? Join the new cast of Ultimate X as they head to Southern California to find out these secrets and more when Eisner award-winning writer JEPH LOEB and master illustrator ARTHUR ADAMS bring you the next thrilling chapter in this critically-acclaimed series that's selling out everywhere!

Heh. "Selling out". Too easy.

"The comic that you guys love the most! You really do!"

I never thought this title was all that bad. Here's hoping it stays at least decent (that is, not the trainwreck every other Ultimate title Loeb has worked on has turned out to be).

I never thought this title was all that bad. Here's hoping it stays at least decent (that is, not the trainwreck every other Ultimate title Loeb has worked on has turned out to be).

I agree it has been okay so far, but there are only three issues released. Not even the whole team has assembled yet. I'm sure that as soon as the characters are all aboard and the train is picking up some speed, the engineer will realize the brakes aren't working and the bridge is out over Jeph Loeb Gorge.

I agree it has been okay so far, but there are only three issues released. Not even the whole team has assembled yet. I'm sure that as soon as the characters are all aboard and the train is picking up some speed, the engineer will realize the brakes aren't working and the bridge is out over Jeph Loeb Gorge.

The metaphor sounds like a more interesting story than the story itself.

Latest posts

Back