Ultimate X-Men #64 (Discussion/spoilers).

How would you rate this issue

Votes: 14 48.3%

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northstar and Havok seemed way too well trained for students of a pacifist. Conversely, the x-men faired way too poorly for students who have been extensively in trained in combat. Would it have been unreasonable for the X-men to go up against the Ultimates with out looking like twelve year olds?

Havok was way over powered. I didn't think that it made sense for him to take out both Iron Man and Black Widow. Not that it will ever be answered, but shouldn't a blast that knocks Colossus unconscious kill someone like Scarlet Witch? I was under the impression that Colossus released her hands, but that she didn't have time to protect herself.

I am getting the feeling that there is nothing Scarlet Witch can't do. Teleportation is too far. I am waiting for them to reveal that Scarlet Witch's subconscious is the traitor, and her subconscious has been using her powers to destroy SHIELD, cause Galactus to arrive, and help free magneto.

My bet is that Magneto has been using telepathy to communicate outside the Triskellion. I'm expecting to find out that Xavier had some involved in his escape or at least was aware of it. Mystique's involvement was interesting. They didn't show the diamond on her forhead, which gives a little credibility to the idea that she wasn't impersonating a cat. If they show the diamond on her forehead I'm going to assume that she was the cat also.

I agree with Bass

Everyone stood around talking. Cap would ask them to move, and when the didn't, force them too.

This whole, let's argue as the speedster comes towards us pisses me off to the nth degree. I hate it when superheros crossover, they always end up fighting.

And the death at the end, stupid. No reason for it.

[begin rant]
You guys were mentioning how Ultimate Archangel would be cool.

Please, the Ultimate line is for new ideas, and yet, you guys want the old ones rehashed over and over again. I hope there is no Ultimate Apocalyspe.

And now people are going to go off about how every X-men mythos needs an Apocolayspe. This is Ultimate Universe, they don't need to have anything. I want different takes on people here, not the same old 616 rehashed like it seems to be doing. Every character acts the same, but let's tweak them a tad, oh! Lady D hates Wolvie, but is really after Storm! There's a twist!

But she has the same stupid powers.

That annoys me, it's all getting annoying lately, the same old bull**** as in 616.

Just frustrated over the lack of originality sometimes.

[/rant]

Ultimate Houde said:
I agree with Bass

Everyone stood around talking. Cap would ask them to move, and when the didn't, force them too.

This whole, let's argue as the speedster comes towards us pisses me off to the nth degree. I hate it when superheros crossover, they always end up fighting.

And the death at the end, stupid. No reason for it.

[begin rant]

Please, the Ultimate line is for new ideas, and yet, you guys want the old ones rehashed over and over again. I hope there is no Ultimate Apocalyspe.

And now people are going to go off about how every X-men mythos needs an Apocolayspe. This is Ultimate Universe, they don't need to have anything. I want different takes on people here, not the same old 616 rehashed like it seems to be doing. Every character acts the same, but let's tweak them a tad, oh! Lady D hates Wolvie, but is really after Storm! There's a twist!

That annoys me, it's all getting annoying lately, the same old bull**** as in 616.

[/rant]
Whatever dude. I didn't read any 616 Apocolypse books and am hopeing to get a chance to experience him via the Universe I do read. That's why they need an Ultimate Apocolypse.

Ultimate Houde said:
[begin rant]

[/rant]

Y'know, the ultimate universe is in someways, a prequel series like Enterprise was to Star Trek or Smallville to Superman - though it's an entire universe.

Now, it should be original as it's a universe, and not a pure prequel, but the prequel side to the universe DEMANDS we get to see some things we already know touched upon.

Now, when a prequel series does something good - it's lots of fun. But too often, as is the case of both Enterprise or Smallville, prequels normally do one of three things: 1) Rewrite establish history, 2) Rehash old ideas, 3) Name-drop.

In the Ultimate universe, the first problem cannot be done - since this IS a new universe and history. However, we do see 2 and 3 far too often for my liking. I wouldn't mind, but too often the rehashing is not as good as the original, and the name-drop makes me remember a better story.

I would like to see Apocalypse, though.

So this guys over at Ultimate-X had some pretty good thoughts....

Indirectly he says...
E.V.i.L. said:
1. Isn't Deathstrike full of adamantium? Shouldn't have she been fairly rattled, to say the least, when Magneto pulled his metal ripping stunt?

The most logical outcome is that she is dead/dying and Warren will be taken hostage (no way Vaughn kills two X-Men in one issue).

But she could survive. It's a longshot but... (Ooh, look at me being clever! Come on, look at me, praise me, I need attention! Err...)

Vauhgn made a point of showing us that Longshot is locked up in those very cells and that he is the only mutant to boot. He is a mutant supremacist and he owe his life to Dazzler and Angel. He is a bad guy, sure, but the way he has been set up by Vaughn it a is almost a lock that he will risk his life to save fellow mutants from a post weapon X project, especially these two particulars fellow mutants.

I think that this is the most likely outcome. There is just no point to showing us Longshot being arrested and dragged to that particular cell next to Deathstrike otherwise.

As you can see, in comics, the most logical and the most likely outcome are not always the same.

Ultimate Houde said:
[begin rant]

[/rant]

So. . .we shouldn't have had Magneto as a villian either by that logic. In fact, MOST of the Ultimate Universe would be rehashing ideas by your logic. The point of the UU in the first place was to take all of those ideas, and update them for the 21st century. Granted, some of the original stories were better (Hobgoblin and Stark's origin come to mind), but for the most part, I prefer the UU. I think you're missing the entire point of the UU. Yes, part of the reason for the UU was for new ideas (And we've had a few), but it is by-and-large a reimaging of 616.

First of all, Apocalypse has already been shown in the Ultimate Universe and I would feel cheated if he was nothing but a hallucination on Sinister's part. Second of all, he is easily the most recognized X-villian after Magneto. Now, while I'm not exactly fond of Angel having metal wings, I wouldn't mind if Angel went berserk, joined Sinister and Apocalypse, and renamed himself Archangel. They need to explore Apocalypse. End of story.

Last edited:
So -- I actually read an issue of Ultimate X-Men! And, boy, do I have NO idea what's going on.

Okay, Magneto: Bad, I get that. Lorna has done something bad, but her teammates feel it's not bad enough for her to be locked up and that she needs to be rescued before she's corrupted by the evil SHIELD. Hmmm, whatever. Okay. She's locked up with Magneto (is he her father here?) - and, for some reason, that is Uber Bad and the fact that Xavier didn't share that information is ditto. And Emma Frost is Mystique.

How'm I doing?

How far back to I have to start reading to make this make sense (and DON'T say "#1")?

Rhyo said:
So -- I actually read an issue of Ultimate X-Men! And, boy, do I have NO idea what's going on.

Okay, Magneto: Bad, I get that. Lorna has done something bad, but her teammates feel it's not bad enough for her to be locked up and that she needs to be rescued before she's corrupted by the evil SHIELD. Hmmm, whatever. Okay. She's locked up with Magneto (is he her father here?) - and, for some reason, that is Uber Bad and the fact that Xavier didn't share that information is ditto. And Emma Frost is Mystique.

How'm I doing?

How far back to I have to start reading to make this make sense (and DON'T say "#1")?

To understand this arc, just back to 61. To understand the end of the arc with all the villians escaping, go back issue 46, the beginning of Vaughan's run.

As for how you're doing, Lorna killed a bunch of people on accident. Forge and Mystique set up an electromagnetic device that caused Polaris' powers to go haywire. Lorna's father is not Magneto (At least, as far as we know), and she was placed in that cell because there wasn't anywhere else to place her, due to the nature of her powers. Also, Mystique is NOT Emma Frost. I'm not sure where you got that.

Rhyo said:

How'm I doing?

You picked it up smack in the middle of the arc...I can understand the confusion.

Go back to #61 like Lynx said. All you need to know is that Magneto is in SHIELD custody and Emma Frost is running a competing school to Xavier's (both of these were estblished in past arcs; details aren't that important).

Lynx said:
To understand this arc, just back to 61. To understand the end of the arc with all the villians escaping, go back issue 46, the beginning of Vaughan's run.

As for how you're doing, Lorna killed a bunch of people on accident. Forge and Mystique set up an electromagnetic device that caused Polaris' powers to go haywire. Lorna's father is not Magneto (At least, as far as we know), and she was placed in that cell because there wasn't anywhere else to place her, due to the nature of her powers. Also, Mystique is NOT Emma Frost. I'm not sure where you got that.

I am, that cop lady that Mystique morphed kinda looks like Emma Frost.

icemastertron said:
Don't lie. You loooooooooooooved every panel of it. You smelled it like hot pancakes on your laps. Looked at it like wanting to marry it. Listened to it like you listen to yourself (you big egotistical maniac!) Touched the pages like.....actually, I shouldn't go there. Tasted it like.....the hell?! You taste comics?! Dear God, you are insane, Bass!

YES! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yes!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I just voted 5 *'s for this issue.

*Runs away while projectile vomiting*

TheManWithoutFear said:
This arc has two more issues right?

Just one more, #65, out next month. Then the X-Men/FF crossover 2-issue series for December and January, and then I think UXM starts shipping regularly again in February with #66, the beginning of Kirkman's run, the first arc of which is a three issue story called "Date Night" (running through UXM #66-69).

DIrishB said:
Just one more, #65, out next month. Then the X-Men/FF crossover 2-issue series for December and January, and then I think UXM starts shipping regularly again in February with #66, the beginning of Kirkman's run, the first arc of which is a three issue story called "Date Night" (running through UXM #66-69).
Actually:

* ULTIMATE X-MEN's new scribe Robert Kirkman kicks off a new story, "Date Night", in January 06, with Tom Raney on art. This will be followed by a new storyline in April 06 with artist Steve Dillon and then the return of Raney in June
And since its a 3 issue arc, its gonna be #66-68. :wink:

Latest posts

Back