Ultimate X-Men #79 discussion (spoilers)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #79 Preview @ PopCultureShock

Intresting. . .I'm curious how this turns out.

Okay, I have to admit that was a pretty good preview.

The Legacy Project could be interesting, but more than likely it'll be the Legacy Virus with some stupid twist. My bet is it's an ultimate version of the cure. Just it's going to have some crazy unexpected twist that everyone will see coming.

I don't think that it's going to be a virus, they said that it was some kind of initiative by the Professor...

I don't think that it's going to be a virus, they said that it was some kind of initiative by the Professor...

The Professor created the Legacy Virus that created the future Cable was from, and not even his death can stop it!

Did anyone pic it up?

it was suposed to come out this week right?

At a random bar, Dazzler sees the news of Prof. X's death on the news. She's all, "What the ****?"

At the mansion, Kitty's packing up. Iceman tries to talk her out of it. She's being all *****y. He tells her she's just going home so she can be closer to Spidey. She storms out. He goes to console Rogue and they snuggle.

Fury, Dubbya, and a military official I Don't recognize are in the White House situation room talking about the death. Fury insures the President that X's death won't lead to rioting or civil war. He also insists that Charles' death won't affect the Legacy Project, an initiative Xavier was involved with.

Back at the Institute, Wolvie's sitting on the front lawn. Sabretooth pops up, trying to tell James that he's his son, and claiming he wants to go find his mom, together with Wolverine. James says he's got more important things to deal with, and Sabretooth disappears.

In the house, Jean's talking to Scott about how torn up she is about X's death. They have a lot to do. Primarily, she has to find a way to keep the mental shielding on Nightcrawler. Scott glances over to her unopened birthday gift, and Jean says it's not the time. They hug.

Colossus is on the phone with Cannonball who wants him to come live with him at Emma's school for a while. Colossus is conflicted.

Wolverine walks in on Storm getting ready for the funeral. They chit-chat, and he catches a glimpse of the play manuscript on her laptop, entitled "The Shadow King".

Then we get the funeral. Everyone's there. We get shots of a bunch of characters. Moira McTaggert meets Lilandra and says she's glad that Xavier was happy with Lilandra before he died. Captain America is looking somewhat angry, and Nick Fury's looking on. Reed's torn up because Xavier helped them stop Galactus. Bishop is torn up that he wasn't able to stop this. Cannonball shows up, with Emma and her students coming in right after. She's still a total *****.

Wolverine remembers the mission Magneto initially gave him when he was sent to kill Xavier, and reminesces that he finally completed his mission, just in a roundabout way. Storm goes crazy at the casket and Wolverine consoles her. They put the casket in the ground.

Scott goes to bed while Jean goes to check in on Nightcrawler, only to find out he's escaped.

Somewhere, Magneto seems to have a vast amount of Acolytes, in a very cool sort of advanced theocratic looking city. Longshot's hanging out at his side, when Forge brings him the news that Xavier's dead.... Magneto says to continue with their plan, regardless. Then he's all, "Get out of here. I have to enjoy my adversary's death."

So Shadow King is just a play?

That...saddens me.

I also don't like Sabretooth and Wolverine being all nice and talky to each other. I really hope Sabretooth has some plan to really get to Logan.

Wolverine remembers the mission Magneto initially gave him when he was sent to kill Xavier, and reminesces that he finally completed his mission, just in a roundabout way.

GENIUS!

I never looked at it that way!

I'm glad we get to see Mag's reaction to all this. Although, a city of followers is a lot like what he did in the first arc...only Longshot and Forge are with him and the world thinks he's in prison. Not really the something new I expected.

All in all, I can't wait to get this one in the mail.

So Shadow King is just a play?

That...saddens me.

I also don't like Sabretooth and Wolverine being all nice and talky to each other. I really hope Sabretooth has some plan to really get to Logan.

GENIUS!

I never looked at it that way!

I'm glad we get to see Mag's reaction to all this. Although, a city of followers is a lot like what he did in the first arc...only Longshot and Forge are with him and the world thinks he's in prison. Not really the something new I expected.

All in all, I can't wait to get this one in the mail.

You're right about the Magneto thing, but honestly, the design for his new utopia is so badass that it doesn't matter.

I have a feeling Shadow King will turn out to be more than just a play. Storm smacks the laptop shut right in Wolverine's face.

Also, I think I may be the only one who digs the "Sabretooth as Wolvie's son" angle.

Some of it sounds cool (Magneto, Wolverine completing his mission) while I don't like other things (Shadow King. . .the play?, Sabertooth buddy buddy with Wolverine?)

Meh, we'll see where Kirkman goes. I think Kirkman's really trying to revitilze the UU along with Carey. If Bendis' gets his act together for Ultimate Knights, maybe the UU will be at least decent again.

Nah.

It's just that...I don't buy it for a second. I can respect the turning around of an old story about Sabretooth being Wolvie's father in 616. I can respect that.

But Sabretooth is the opposite of Wolverine. Wolverine fights to be more human (maybe even more so after he sees what a psycho he is in the future) while Sabretooth embraces the animal within.

That does limit Sabretooth as a character, but that's how I've always felt about Sabretooth. He's Wolverine's future, tougher, and a murdering psycho. And he reminds Wolverine that his humanity IS important.

I like AoA Sabretooth, a lot. But in Ultimate we've already seen that Sabretooth is a psycho who hates Wolverine. To redeem him will feel as out of place as his redemtion in 616 is now, IMO.

So, I think it's a trap. He's getting close to Wolverine for some evil purpose, either for Sabretooth himself or for who ever is paying him (Cornilus).

About Shadow King.

Ah, she slammed it shut. Maybe it's dwelling in her. I can dig that. Now we got to keep an eye on Storm.

Then I can't wait to see this city.

How would you rate the issue?

So, with Dazzler on the first page of this ish and Nightcrawler escaping at the end of it (and getting his own two-parter in a few months), will we see that weird relationship explored more?

I hope so. Dazzler and Nightcrawler are two of my favorites.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sabretooth wants Wolverine to hunt down his mother so that he can kill her, or do something else nefarious when he discovers her. Or he knows a secret about Wolverine's wife that's going to seriously **** with James when he finds out.

I'd give the issue about an 8/10... It was mainly setup, but it really did leave everyone in a good place, and as long as Kirkman can follow it up with equally good solo issues, I think his run might become a serious classic.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, assuming this is the case the only question is: when did it happen?

What if the "Shadow King" is Xavier?

Or it holds some part of Xavier's big plan, with or without Storm's knowledge. He's talked to her about the play on a couple of different occasions.

Or maybe the Shadow King is appearing in Storm's dreams, both providing inspiration for her play but also either using her dreams to become more powerful, or to manipulate her somehow. ;) I doubt if the Shadow King is really possessing Storm that his first act would be to write a play about himself.

Last edited:
I guess the time when Shadow King got to her would be just before/during New Mutants or Blockbuster.

That's when she first mentioned her writing.

IF Shadow King is Xavier, he didn't realize it. I don't think. It was dark side to him that he never toyed with. Otherwise he would have stayed with Magneto. Being as powerful as Xavier, you know there's some part of him that thinks, "Everyone mistrusts me, rightfully so, I can change the policies of today with a thought. Why battle the Sentinel program when I can make those in charge disarm them?"

There might be a side that acted on that, maybe he even convinced himself it was just a power day dream he was having, while he was really affecting people around him.

But I don't think X is evil, on purpose.

IF Shadow King is not Xavier, then the writing of the play does one thing that's very important.

It makes Storm (and thus Xavier when he reads her mind) think SHE'S made up Shadow King. It's a slow process to get deep inside Xavier's inner ring without alerting Storm or Xavier that someone is creeping in.

8/10, NICE!

I'm liking how three of the Ultimate books are good-to-great (Ultimates, UXM, UFF)...how can the current output of books be so bad to deserve a "How to Fix the UU" Thread? The problem is Bendis!

I'm liking how three of the Ultimate books are good-to-great (Ultimates, UXM, UFF)...how can the current output of books be so bad to deserve a "How to Fix the UU" Thread? The problem is Bendis!

Woah, wait.

We also have Ultimate Power, which is crap. And Millar/Hitch are leaving the Ultimate to be replaced by Loeb and Mad, who have shown that the Ultimates is going to be very different. And the way Loeb's been talking (Not to mention Mad's preview art. . .), I just don't have faith in the new team.

Latest posts

Back