Ultimate X-Men: Absolute Power (#94-97)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #95 discussion (spoilers) Preview included.

I hope not.

Re: Ultimate X-Men #94 discussion (spoilers)

I'm probably in the minority here, but this is a refreshing change of pace after the disappointing Kirkman run.

On the other hand, it's starting to get cliche... and honestly, it's 2008. I thought the after-school special aspect of comic books went out in the mid-1990s. Now we've got a whole storyline about Colossus getting jacked on some wicked-good mutant 'roids. I'm waiting for the storyline in U3 or U4 about Thor and Valkyrie's pedophiliac-ish relationship. I mean... she's in her early 20's... he's... like eleventy billion years old or something. That's gross. Shame on you, Thor, you should know better. I'm also waiting for the UFF storyline dealing with Johnny Storm's reaction to peer pressure and Ben Grimm's struggle with sexual identity crisis (which raises the age-old question: Is The Thing built like a Ken doll?).

I think the problem is that Bendis and Loeb have dug their fingers into the UU for the next year or two, and every writer on an Ultimate book has to play it light and wait for instructions so they don't screw anything up that Bendis and Loeb want to screw up themselves. Hopefully after all this Ultimate Origins and Ultimatum stuff is done, Marvel will read my mind and give the entire line to Warren Ellis and Mark Millar.

See more of a preview of this issue at: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0806/13/marvelfirsts.htm

Also: What the heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scott killed his foster Dad and Rogue has a crush on Scott?????

Rogue doesn't have a crush on scott

she just kissed him, because she can't hurt anyone by touch anymore, and heck not being able to touch anyone, would kinda make you a little impulsive

I like the preview. The character stuff that's going on is really cool...

First off...this issue shows quite a few warning signs. Number one is how many people are involved in it.

We have Coleite writing, Mark Brooks drawing pgs 7-16 and 19-22 Jaime Mendoza inking 7-16, 19-22 and Brandon Peterson drawing 1-6 and 17-18.

We start with Cyclops six years ago (I don't buy it's six years ago since Scott has so little muscle mass). He's in a foster home and is bullied at school. He pisses his pants and while his foster father tries to cheer him up....his eyes go red and he kills both parents.

Cyke's being a 'double agent' with Colossus's team. Colossus scores some drugs and Cyke tells Jean to get on finding them. Jean and Xavier are seeing who's all taken MGH over the years. Most people are clean....except for Wolverine who acts like he was just told he killed everyone he ever loved. Seriously, for a big bad mass murderer he takes the news that he'd taken drugs in the past really badly that it's almost comical. Jean tells Wolverine to track them down and shut them down.

She's either stupid or she' changed drastically over this or the Phoenix thing, because Wolverine will kill them and she was so against his killing anyone for forever.

We go to Alpha Flight and Jubilee is our reader surrogate asking questions we need to know so other characters can explain it to us. (setting up Jubilee being a good guy?)

And we get that...Sasquach is really Wolfbane on MGH.

Just then out of no-**** where Nightcrawler teleports a wall away and the X-Men charge into Department H. Fight starts...X-Men are drugged up their eyes and start tearing Alpha Flight apart.

Except for Cyclops who didn't take it and for some stupid reason decided that he should fight Vindicator, the guy with a gallon of MGH hanging off of his body. Yeah.

Rogue touches Vindicator and goes "No it couldn't be!" Then Vinny toasts her with a purple beam of energy before she could say who it was which I took as a hint that he's Gambit.

Colossus beats Sunfire until he tells him where Northstar is and he leaves the battle. Cyke gets scared and shoots up in the middle of the battle the X-Men were winning. He breaks his visor and flashes back to when Jean and Xavier met him in his ruined foster house.

Cyke then becomes Hyperion. His eyes glow, he shoots beams, he flies, and he can punch out Vindicator in one hit. Cyke proceeds to tear Alpha Flight apart with a smile on his face screaming about the power.

Colossus finds Northstar...Northstar is shaking so fast and can't stop. He's OD'ing on MGH and dies in Colossus's hands.

The end.

Sadly, this guy has a good handle on the X-Men....it's just this thing is so cramped that all we're getting is pure plot dumping and fighting because they have to fight not because they would.

Does that make anysense?

Better than Kirkman though. 2 more issues left in this arc and I see Colossus tearing everyone apart and someone has to put these guys in detox. I don't see why Cyke took the drug since his beams can level mountains anyway and he's always been more tactical than that.

BUT he is being written like he's a teenager instead of the leader of the X-Men, which is perfectly sound and fine for Ultimate X-Men.

It's alright, just...far too fast moving and plot heavy after a year and a half of rushed stories that were so plot heavy that characters disappeared completely.

They ****ing killed northstar again?! They finally give him a boyfriend after almost 20 years and they kill him?!?!?!

It's not the only reason, but this book should consider itself Dropped.

Well, they don't say he's dead. Just he stops shaking, his eyes are close, blood dripping out of his mouth, and he's in a very pissed off Colossus's arms. They could just be faking it...but he does look quite dead and I think they did just kill him.

ULTIMATUM:

Stop buying our comics or we'll let Loeb take over the books! You've seen how ****ty they've become, but at least it's not Loeb!
This is your last chance!
We're warning you!

This sounds ****ing terrible. Northstar is dead again? Ridiculous.

wait

Vindicator is Gambit?

now the colour of his energy makes sense

but

HUH?

Gambit being Vindicator is just a guess.

Making Gambit Vindicator would be pretty lame.

When did Ult. Wolfsbane appear? Does anyone know?

I can't remember...but I think during Vaughan's run. Maybe Cry Wolf (I remember her at least being mentioned). I think Ult. Wolfsbane has always popped up in the background.

Yeah Wolfsbane and Puck were in Cry Wolf issue 50 for a panel or two.

Yeah Wolfsbane and Puck were in Cry Wolf issue 50 for a panel or two.

Considering their extremely limited exposure in the Ultimate universe so far, using Wolfsbane as a shocking "Its a mysterious old character in the guise of a new one" plot twist is friggin' lame. Who's really going to care who Ult. Sasquatch is...? Thats right, no one. Because no one cares who Ult. Wolfsbane is in the first place.

Latest posts

Back