Ultimate X-Men: Absolute Power (#94-97)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #96 discussion (spoilers).

so, i didnt think there was anything wrong with the scott blasting jean in astral mode

we know then can see each other and imagine new locations while still being hundreds of miles away. whats to say that scott under the addictions on banshee couldn't shoot his optics while in astral form?

thats not a far not unreasonable stretch

we know then can see each other and imagine new locations while still being hundreds of miles away. whats to say that scott under the addictions on banshee couldn't shoot his optics while in astral form?

That's Jean being one of the world's most powerful telepaths. Like notice every time they've done that (from my hat I pull Magnetic North) other people (in Magnetic North it was Wolverine sitting right next to Cyke) didn't see Jean or the mental worlds she constructed. It was private, only a psychic could see it or only whoever Jean wanted.

Now Cyke must have mental powers to do this. This is sheer insanity.

Now Cyke must have mental powers to do this. This is sheer insanity.

Well Banshee seems to have given Cyke heightened senses (he mentions he hears someone coming or something along those lines) and the ability to fly. So what the heck. Let's throw in psychic powers as well. So what if they don't really have any connection to his original mutation? That kind of stuff is for writers who actually give a flying sh*t about continuity. Not anyone currently writing an Ultimate title.

OMG....I just read this. The only way I can express it's crappiness is to say it is every bit as bad as U3. It is almost like Loeb wrote it.

anyone else notice that this arc so far involves father issues? first there was colossus hiding from his father that he's both gay and a mutant. next cyke accidently kills his foster father (idk remember what led up to it) then fogue reveals that her dad use to touch her. now back we have jean's dad who is no longer alive and unresolved issues between the two...

god, watch wolverine be the next one with daddy issues. it will be revealed that his dad extracted the mgh from him to make a profit w/o his son's consent

Xavier and Magneto were the two to develop the Banshee drug... The drug gave Xavier a secondary mutation. A temporary one at that.

God...

I just read the newest issue of UXM and the whole time I'm thinking "what the hell is this garbage!?!?"

Banshee angers me. Why couldn't Banshee just be the loud Irishman he always was? Why does Banshee have to be some drug that a bunch of X-Men (including Cyclops, who I would imagine would say "Ew, icky, drugs!") get hooked on so they can beat up on crappy Alpha Flight? Really, did 616 X-Men ever need to get juiced up on controlled substances to kick the ever-livin' crap out of Alpha Flight? ALPHA FLIGHT? REALLY!?!? That's like saying the Avengers needed to call up Pablo Escobar for a kilo of pure uncut Colombian cocaine to go smash the faces of the Masters of Evil when they were led by the purple-mask, fur-lined bodysuit wearing Baron Zemo and featuring the "B-Team" of the Wrecking Crew and the inexperienced female Yellowjacket. Because, you know, the Norse God of Thunder, Wonder Man and Captain America need to get JAAAACCCCKKKKKEEED UP before they take on a bunch of bench-warming criminals.

Really, X-Men? You need a drug to take on some rave-loving Vindicator with a bodysuit made of spandex and strobelights? C'mon Colossus! You're made of METAL! LIVING METAL! Wolverine is the original mutant and has a skeleton made of the strongest metal known to (imaginary) man. Cyclops can shoot ENERGY from his eyes.... but because the Canadian super-team is juicing up before missions you get your butts handed to you like a little league team taking on the Yankees?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

This run of the series is just plain ugly. I want to drill a few holes in my head to make me care less about the fact that it's gone completely belly up... and now Wolverine is killing Colossus? He's killing the guy who has helped him pull of countless Fastball Specials in the past because he's developed an addicition to Wolverine's own blood? Is it because he's gay? I wonder... and damn it, if that's the case, I thought Wolverine was more progressive than that. That's just downright homophobic!

So now both characters from the UXM series who were gay are dead. Good job, there, sport. Way to make the UU friendly to people of all races, genders and preferences! That's just deplorable!

Nah but really, this run of the series is under my skin... as much as Kirkman's time with the series could've been WAY better, this is just plain not worth my damn time. "Wolverine... what have you done?" Besides suck, I guess not a whole lot. I want my damn money back.

So, I got this in the mail, subscription canceled or no.

Guys, here's my 6 point review.

1-Xavier Bone claws.
2- Colossus lives without a heart and then rips Wolverine's leg off.
3- Northstar is alive, but no mention of Alpha Flight
4- Jean being sucked into hell is not mentioned she's back like she never left.
5- Twist ending Moria's behind the drug.
6- Twist twist ending she's working for Quicksilver and Magneto.

I could go on about other horrible things about it, continuity errors between issues, character's being forgotten, dialogue which seems to have no bearing on anything with anything, and the horrible idea of beating the utter **** out of your friends makes them get over addiction.

But frankly, I didn't want to read and I don't really want to waste any more time on it.

So, I got this in the mail, subscription canceled or no.

Guys, here's my 6 point review.

1-Xavier Bone claws.
2- Colossus lives without a heart and then rips Wolverine's leg off.
3- Northstar is alive, but no mention of Alpha Flight
4- Jean being sucked into hell is not mentioned she's back like she never left.
5- Twist ending Moria's behind the drug.
6- Twist twist ending she's working for Quicksilver and Magneto.

I could go on about other horrible things about it, continuity errors between issues, character's being forgotten, dialogue which seems to have no bearing on anything with anything, and the horrible idea of beating the utter **** out of your friends makes them get over addiction.

But frankly, I didn't want to read and I don't really want to waste any more time on it.

I can't even remember the last time I've read Ultimate X-Men, and after reading this, I'm glad.

I've been following the book on and off since Kirkman came on and I gotta say that the past 2 years of UXM has been as bad as that USM stint Bendis was on a few years back where we got such gems like Deadpool and Clone Saga.

I can't even remember the last time I've read Ultimate X-Men, and after reading this, I'm glad.

You're definitly better off for having not read recently.

I've been following the book on and off since Kirkman came on and I gotta say that the past 2 years of UXM has been as bad as that USM stint Bendis was on a few years back where we got such gems like Deadpool and Clone Saga.

Seriously. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say the worst USM issues were easier to swallow than the recent UXM issues.

So Marvel is treating this title the same way they treated the Ultimates after Millar left. This is like the Ultimates 3 of Ultimate X-Men.

So Marvel is treating this title the same way they treated the Ultimates after Millar left. This is like the Ultimates 3 of Ultimate X-Men.

Pretty much.

I really hope they do the smart thing and bring someone on as writer who can do the title some justice (like Millar and Vaughan did during their runs). The same can be said of UFF (Ellis' and Millar's runs were the best).

I'm still unsure if UXM or UFF will continue post-Ultimatum, at least in ongoing form. Thats no big loss given the recent low level of quality story-telling, but it also would seem like a missed opportunity not to try and hand the titles' reins to writers who can make those two books interesting, fun, and worthwhile reads again.

Latest posts

Back