Ultimate X-Men: Absolute Power (#94-97)

I actually didn't even bother buying the new issue today. I just decided today to drop all the Ultimate titles except for USM and Ultimatum. 'Cuz when Loeb writes crap, it just has to be bought to be discussed here. :)

I actually didn't even bother buying the new issue today. I just decided today to drop all the Ultimate titles except for USM and Ultimatum. 'Cuz when Loeb writes crap, it just has to be bought to be discussed here. :)

That's why god invented the internet
*shifty eyes*

Also, that's bad economics... but don't mind the economics major over here in the corner.

Pretty much.

I really hope they do the smart thing and bring someone on as writer who can do the title some justice (like Millar and Vaughan did during their runs). The same can be said of UFF (Ellis' and Millar's runs were the best).

I'm still unsure if UXM or UFF will continue post-Ultimatum, at least in ongoing form. Thats no big loss given the recent low level of quality story-telling, but it also would seem like a missed opportunity not to try and hand the titles' reins to writers who can make those two books interesting, fun, and worthwhile reads again.

It's cool to know that I wasn't the only person who liked Vaughan's run on UXM. Most of the people I talked to hated it.

But I agree we need new takes on the title from new writers (I like what this new writer tried, but I hated the execution of it). I wouldn't mind seeing some shorter arcs either (1-3 issues). The Shadow King issue, in my opinion, was the best issue since Vaughan ended his run, which was about two years prior to the issue. Plus, the smaller arcs usually have good action/dialogue in all of the issues, not just the conclusions. Furthermore, if the arc does suck, at least it doesn't take five or six months for it to end.

I didn't care for this arc, and I wanted it to be over after reading the second issue. Too many things were happening at once. Plus, why must the X-Men always fight each other? It is just getting too hard to remember who is on whose side, which further complicates things.

Okay, I'm done, and I'm sorry for talking about ten different things in one post.

I think most people on this site enjoyed Vaughan's run. I thought it was the best run the book's seen.

There was ONE thing I liked in this issue.

The little dig to the fact we will never see what will ever happen in Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine.

"The hulk tore me in half once. You shoulda seen what I did to him, it was epic."

The rest of it, utter ****.

There was ONE thing I liked in this issue.

The little dig to the fact we will never see what will ever happen in Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine.

"The hulk tore me in half once. You shoulda seen what I did to him, it was epic."

The rest of it, utter ****.

Actually, I think we'll be seeing Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk FINALLY start getting released again next year. Lindelof has handed in the final script, and Lienel Yu is finishing (or maybe already has finished) artwork on Secret Invasion then will begin art for issues #3-6 of UWvsH. I'm thinking it'll be out Spring, after Ultimatum. By the time its out, it'll have taken four ****ing years between issues.

But yeah, this arc was disgustingly bad. Reading this arc was like a swift kick to the groin. Pit of the stomach sickening.

I honestly think this might've been THE WORST ARC in the entire run of Ultimate X-Men. Thats saying a fair amount considering the likes of Magician, Apocalypse, etc. Should be a good primer for Ultimatum. :roll:

Please, Millar, hurry back. Save us.

Last edited:
VH1: Behind the Mutant.

:roll:

just terrible

"I ain't your friend, bub!"
"Well, I'm not your bub, pal!"

Last edited:
I read some damn where that Loeb and he planned it to be a lead into Ultimatum.

...I really wonder, would he have been so bad without Loeb standing over his shoulder? I just don't know...but the end product was garbage absolute garbage. There's no saving the run, the central bad guys are forgotten in issue two and then they have to switch endings and they forget one entire subplot of Jean going to Heaven with her father's ghost....

It's garbage.

Jeph Loeb + mildly better dialogue = Aaron Coleite

Yep.

VH1: Behind the Mutant.

:roll:

just terrible

"I ain't your friend, bub!"
"Well, I'm not your bub, pal!"

:lol:

Did he even plan this before writing it? It seems like four issues that lacked any cohesion.

If he planned it as a way to torture the fans of the title (or really just fans of the Millar and Vaughan runs), he did an amazing job.

...I really wonder, would he have been so bad without Loeb standing over his shoulder? I just don't know...but the end product was garbage absolute garbage. There's no saving the run, the central bad guys are forgotten in issue two and then they have to switch endings and they forget one entire subplot of Jean going to Heaven with her father's ghost....

It's garbage.

I don't even want to think about Ultimatum right now.

Last edited:

It's garbage.

i thought the idea behind the story was kind of cool, but it wasn't told very well. To quote Ultimate JJJ, "there were more holes in this story than a Michael Bay film!"

not to mention that Jean Grey's dad was alive in Ultimate War and had a conversation with wasp.

not to mention that Jean Grey's dad was alive in Ultimate War and had a conversation with wasp.

I forgot about that completely. I guess it could be explained he was an adoptive or step father (the one in Ultimate War)...I don't remember it being explicitly said he was her biological father.

Stupid attempt at reconciling a continuity screw-up, but I do it all the time with the Ultimate universe. :roll:

This sucks, really.

I could've done a better job with this title when I was 14. The after-school special of this run just makes me chew at my own inner cheek, which hurts and angers me.

It makes me want to hijack the Marvel offices the week before Ultimatum launches. Ultimatum cannot happen, by any means. We must stop it.

Origins is fine, I can deal with it, but given the way Loeb has butchered the Ultimates like John Wayne Gacy to a confused teenage boy, I cannot abide one more issue of Ultimates v3 or this hoity-toity Ultimatum.

LOEB MUST BE STOPPED.

Latest posts

Back