Ultimates 2 #10 cover released

Some of these theories are...well, bad.

I don't think I can read any more. It's ruining the book for me.

Maybe this site was a bad idea after all.

I still think Ultron released the files when he was a disembodied computer presence because he has this obsessive desire for order and twisted justice.

Just thought I'd slip that in while we were on the topic of bad ideas.

Not only can there be an Abomination in the Ultimates, but in Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk. That could work. I hear that Lindlelof is ultimizing a character for us and it may be the Abomination. If so, the Abomination could be developing right after the Hulk escaped and the story picks up from there... My bets are actually on Doc Samson being the person Lindlelof is going to ultimize, but I don't really know for sure... But, yeah, it's entirely possible for Abomination to come around.

DIrishB said:
One more time, the dude in Ultimate Nightmare was neither Ultimate Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man. If anything we'll probably see Ultimate Titanium Man in Ultimate Iron Man 2 since Stane has already been introduced in the title as a bad kid.
How do you that for sure? Huh? HUH?!

By the way, I'm only joking. I am in no way in any shape or form saying it's him, though somewhere it was said that Ellis was ultimizing Russian baddies, and that he was one of them. Again, not saying it was him.

Goodwill said:
Not only can there be an Abomination in the Ultimates, but in Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk. That could work. I hear that Lindlelof is ultimizing a character for us and it may be the Abomination. If so, the Abomination could be developing right after the Hulk escaped and the story picks up from there... My bets are actually on Doc Samson being the person Lindlelof is going to ultimize, but I don't really know for sure... But, yeah, it's entirely possible for Abomination to come around.
But we have an appearance of a character before he's been introduced.

Mind you, Millar did that with Juggs. Far too important a character to just have hanging about for 50 or so issues.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

What the HELL happens in #9?!?!

What takes us to a point where #10's cover makes sense?!

I'm really very excited.

**** - I'm going to look like I have parkinsons when I pick up Ultimates #9 now.

Crap crap crap - and Widow may be the traitor (if there is one at all - in a way, the whole team appears to be the traitor if you get my meaning).

I also find the speculations Lynx gave on who these silhouettes are to be... promising to say the least.

But for those of you detracting this cover - FOR SHAME. Ultimates has been solid for each issue to date, and all of a sudden everyone's exclaiming it's "too predictable" or "too rushed" or "too samey" or "too... whatever". The series has yet to disappoint, and here we're given a cover OUT OF CONTEXT and you assume the worst.

Well - consider this - if the super villain team is PRECISE copies of the Ultimates - the super soldier serum, the Hulk serum, the Ultron files, the giant man formula (and by extension, Wasp), Thor's hammer, Black Widow's fight enhancements, and Stark's iron man armour - it makes PERFECT sense since we've had - since #2, it mentioned about people and governments desperately trying to recreate the Ultimates since they are the dominant power on the planet. The annual takes this further showing us Fury's role in the superhuman arms race. It makes perfect sense that the arms race is the Ultimates versus their exact counterparts since that's where the technology would lead them. ESPECIALLY if they've been rushed into fighting the war because they're afraid of Fury's progress. Not only has there been continuous allusions to superheroes as weapons throughout the two volumes, but there has been hint after hint that people not only want to take control of the Ultimates - but REPEAT them. This is the perfect aesthetic climax to them. Far more appropriate than alien nazis. And while superheroes versus the exact opposites is a cliche - I've never, ever, been so excited to see it. I've had my fair share of Heroes versus Hero-Villains - but I've never seen a single image that has meant so much and revitalised the concept so well as this single pin-up to #10 of the dark mirror, where the world is turned upside down and there seems to be no hope at all...

I'm so ****ing excited.

Last edited:
It's a good old royal good vs evil rumble. I can't wait, yeah, I'm excited too. Or I would be if I hadn't read it all before.

It makes sense. But what has captivated me in Millar's writing has been the intrigue, the subtleties, the sense of ever encroaching doom.

And this doom, is a selection of non-event carbon copies? Let's hope not.

I want more than just an 8 or 9 issue build up to a fight that resolves who is toughest, good or bad.

Whether the disappointing UFF has coloured my view of Millar's writing, or whether I think that the Ultimates should have picked up pace a couple of issues ago has coloured my view, I'm not absolutely convinced from this revelation, and it is a revelation, that I will feel as though this building tension will have been worth it all.

It's all open, but I'm not excited, more .. keen.

Guijllons said:
It's a good old royal good vs evil rumble. I can't wait, yeah, I'm excited too. Or I would be if I hadn't read it all before.

It makes sense. But what has captivated me in Millar's writing has been the intrigue, the subtleties, the sense of ever encroaching doom.

And this doom, is a selection of non-event carbon copies? Let's hope not.

I want more than just an 8 or 9 issue build up to a fight that resolves who is toughest, good or bad.

Whether the disappointing UFF has coloured my view of Millar's writing, or whether I think that the Ultimates should have picked up pace a couple of issues ago has coloured my view, I'm not absolutely convinced from this revelation, and it is a revelation, that I will feel as though this building tension will have been worth it all.

It's all open, but I'm not excited, more .. keen.

Fair enough - and I completely agree. The cliche is the carbon copy villains who are just "eeeeeevil" with moustaches who lose against the "good guys" because good always triumphs over evil.

That's the cliche.

The CONVENTION however, is the doppelganger, which can be wildly interesting, engaging, and original, if done correctly (which Millar already has managed to do, back in his final arc on The Authority; "Brave New World").

Basically, it's all in the execution, and I have lots of faith in that because the COVER is wonderfully effective at portraying the convention without appearing... ****. It just fits the theme of the series to date so well, I have a hard time believing that the story won't. Especially since I alread find the idea of "carbon copies" to be quite chilling not because they're "evil" versions of the Ultimates but because they represent the raw power of destruction that they do in foreign hands, essentially they are to us what the Ultimates are to the other side of the world - the fear and doom and sheer raw unstoppable potency to me is quite palpable and not only an interesting, but EXPECTED take on the Ultimates - the morals have been grey for a while, and these doppelgangers effectively show us just what some people envision the Ultimates to be, what Thor warned them they would become - all you have to do is replace the flag. That feeling of helplessness against such a horrific power is, to me, enhanced by the fact their the Ultimates through a dark mirror - it's what the series has been about for 7 issues straight. Superb payoff.

Of course, if it's **** I'll be screaming - but at the moment I'm jazzed. I just wasn't expecting this and immediately, it all clicked for me.

For you, it didn't, but for me it really has. I expect it to pay off. Mainly because... well I think there is so much said, on a structural and design level, about the entire series in just the cover, I can't believe that the interior will be paper thin pap.

And in all this speculation everyone has not thought of who the doppelganger is for Nick Fury...

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
How do you that for sure? Huh? HUH?!

By the way, I'm only joking. I am in no way in any shape or form saying it's him, though somewhere it was said that Ellis was ultimizing Russian baddies, and that he was one of them. Again, not saying it was him.

I remember someone said who it was supposed to be, I just can't remember. I know it wasn't Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man however. Thats how I know.

THIS IS GOING TO ROCK SO HARD!!!

O my god this cover confirms that this will be my fave. comic story ever. It is so huge scale!

The Ultimates dismantled!
The Triskelion destroyed!
The Red in Red Skull stands for Commie Russia!
Commies taking over!

And who's behind it all (symbolically)? Just look at the top of the flagpole.

God, it all works out so perfectly!

I could write so much, but you all probably said it!

marvelman said:
The Ultimates dismantled!

Nono. "Disassembled." :lol:

To continue with the discussion - this cover doesn't answer many questions. Assuming Ultron is the giant robots (since GIANT Man would be his opposite number) we don't know how Giant Man fits into all this, nor how he will react. Indeed, the 'robotics company' he's been working for (if he wasn't just preening for Wasp) may be part of this Anti-Ultimates group, or if Stark is the traitor, the robotics company could be a front for Stark that Hank may or may not know about (this makes sense considering that the traitor was essentially offering a job to Hank in #6 - it's possible he did take it up...), we don't know if Cap is really the traitor or if he's even really Cap.

This cover is a big piece of the jigsaw puzzle, that seems conventional, but I'm very excited to see HOW it fits into the storyarc - because I can understand why some would be underwhelmed, but I think that's because you're just not thinking about how it can tie into the arc that we've seen so far - there's a lot to get through, and since I didn't have a problem with the amount of 'foreshadowing' the Union got, I don't have too much problem if the main rank and file of the Anti-Ultimates (dare I say, the Masters of Evil?) isn't fully developed. Part of the charm of the doppelganger is just that.

'Sides, it's fitting to see the Ultimates fight themselves.

The Ultimates versus Hulk. Giant Man versus Wasp. Captain America versus Giant Man. The Ultimates versus Thor. The Ultimates versus Captain America.

It seems it's all they've been doing for 22 issues. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh. My. God.

I'm not even going to speculate on this. I am going to crap my pants.

That cover rocks. I'm so scared and confused at the same time. I don't know who is who.

Oh God. This is great. I love The Ultimates. I love Millar. I love Hitch.

This is going to be so great. Are SHIELD Russians? Who is the traitor? Are these the Ultimates?

I'm going to go stalk Millar.

DIrishB said:
One more time, the dude in Ultimate Nightmare was neither Ultimate Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man. If anything we'll probably see Ultimate Titanium Man in Ultimate Iron Man 2 since Stane has already been introduced in the title as a bad kid.

You're right. I only *knew* it wasn't Crimson Dynamo. I therefore assumed it was Titanium Man. But the guy I'm thinking of definitly was wearing armor, hence both the "clang" of Wolverine's claws on it, as well as Colossus saying "I thought you were a machine. But I can see you are a man with robotic parts". And I don't know any other Russian armored characters other than Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man. Also, the character in Nightmare was rather large. In 616, the first Titanium Man was a "giant". But if you can prove me wrong, by all means. . .

Also, Obidiah Stane doesn't become Titanium Man. He becomes Iron Monger.

I'm still sticking to most of my story. I honestly still see this as the Red Ultimates. It's not good versus evil. It's the age old Capitalism versus Communism. And I don't think they'll call them "Masters of Evil" either, just like "Evil" was dropped from the Brotherhood of Mutants.

God, I love this book.

Last edited:
Bass said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

What the HELL happens in #9?!?!

What takes us to a point where #10's cover makes sense?!

I'm really very excited.

**** - I'm going to look like I have parkinsons when I pick up Ultimates #9 now.

Crap crap crap - and Widow may be the traitor (if there is one at all - in a way, the whole team appears to be the traitor if you get my meaning).

I also find the speculations Lynx gave on who these silhouettes are to be... promising to say the least.

But for those of you detracting this cover - FOR SHAME. Ultimates has been solid for each issue to date, and all of a sudden everyone's exclaiming it's "too predictable" or "too rushed" or "too samey" or "too... whatever". The series has yet to disappoint, and here we're given a cover OUT OF CONTEXT and you assume the worst.

Well - consider this - if the super villain team is PRECISE copies of the Ultimates - the super soldier serum, the Hulk serum, the Ultron files, the giant man formula (and by extension, Wasp), Thor's hammer, Black Widow's fight enhancements, and Stark's iron man armour - it makes PERFECT sense since we've had - since #2, it mentioned about people and governments desperately trying to recreate the Ultimates since they are the dominant power on the planet. The annual takes this further showing us Fury's role in the superhuman arms race. It makes perfect sense that the arms race is the Ultimates versus their exact counterparts since that's where the technology would lead them. ESPECIALLY if they've been rushed into fighting the war because they're afraid of Fury's progress. Not only has there been continuous allusions to superheroes as weapons throughout the two volumes, but there has been hint after hint that people not only want to take control of the Ultimates - but REPEAT them. This is the perfect aesthetic climax to them. Far more appropriate than alien nazis. And while superheroes versus the exact opposites is a cliche - I've never, ever, been so excited to see it. I've had my fair share of Heroes versus Hero-Villains - but I've never seen a single image that has meant so much and revitalised the concept so well as this single pin-up to #10 of the dark mirror, where the world is turned upside down and there seems to be no hope at all...

I'm so ****ing excited.

I'm glad you agree.

Does anyone else notice how the Abomination-lookalike thing looks like exactly like the Abomination art Hitch did for the Hulk game?

Latest posts

Back