Ultimates 2 #3 discussion (spoilers)

MaxwellSmart said:
First off that issue was f***ing fantastic. That was probablely the best comic I have read in along time.

As for the speculation, here are my thoughts.
1) Banner is totally alive. I think that Hank under dosed the champagne and added something to make him transform upon waking or Banner had been faking for a while and his eyes were green because he was pissed. It is clear that it was Banner on the phone because Hank clearly recognized it and only Banner's voice could have reasonablely inspired that kind of reaction from Hank. Only a person with a lot of technological experience and something to hide would or could mask their call from a pay phone. Also the person on the phone has red hair just like Banner. And please like they're going to kill the Hulk!
2) Hank helped Banner escape from the aircraft carrier. It was Hank's job to make sure there was enough sedative in the champagne which there clearly wasn't. I think that he tried to time it so that Banner would wake up in time and I think he put something else in the champagne to make Banner transform upon awaking. He Also left Banner a backpack with close and cash, because on the bottom of page 24 we see Banner's backpack and it has the initials HP which I believe stand for Hank Pym. Only Hank could have left the backpack on the aircraft carrier. That and I feel like Hank and Banner had a connection, because they're both science geeks.
3) Loki is involved in turning the Ultimates against Thor, but he's is not taking the form of anyone we know well. I say this, because if he taking the form of lets say Fury it would be reasonable to assume that the real Fury is dead and I don't think they want to kill off a well know character like that. I think it is possible that he is taking the form of someone higher up in sheild than Fury though.
4) Jarvis is totally gay. It's a total Burns and Smithers set up. Or he's just really British. It's hard to tell some times.
Once again, Maxwellsmart indeed! :wink:

Totally agree with ya there. I didn't even realize the initials on the backpack! Nice lookin' there man!

I did...f****** awesome is right! wow!

That was definently Banner calling Pym. I also think Pym set it up so he would ensure Banner would survive. Pym is really starting to resent the whole Ultimates thing. In the first story arc Pym was all jazzed about not only being in the Ultimates, but being their leader. Remember when Fury told Banner he had been demoted to #2.

Well, his big super hero fantasy has consisted of almost getting killed by the Hulk and having his ass handed to him by Captain America. I'm sure it's not what he had in mind when he first moved to the Triskellion.

Pym sees a kindered spirit in Banner, sort of them against the world. Not that that is necessarily such a great thing as both of these guys have some pretty major unresolved issues. Both of these guys have had big dreams and aspirations go awry.

Pym is really starting to take things in his own direction:
-Secretly saving the Hulk
-Withholding Ultron plans from Goverment
-A Defenders angle coming up (he could'nt cut it as the Ultimates leader so he makes his own super group?)

What makes this so interesting is that any one of those situations could go very well and redeem Hank or seriously blow up in his face and screw him up even more.

Being as they have established him as a long time wife beater, I would think the latter.

Anyway, I have to also say that is one of the best comics I have ever read..... like Watchmen good.

I have only recently started getting into comics again and Ultimates is the reason why.

Really enjoying the forums, thanks for having me :D

Few things this issue made me hunger for....

1. Ultimate Bill Bixby, Hulk Mini.

2. More **** **** **** ***** Ultimate Daredevil

3. I really want this Thor thing out of the way and moved on we know they'll go at it. We know they'll all shake hands and be friends again.

4. Pym and Janet to get back together. Pym's trying his best to be a good guy again.

5. Whose the head scientist now that Banner and Pym are gone?

i just read the issue today, and i think that it could have been made bettter. or maybe im just use to, to much violence

-Nigma

nigma said:
i just read the issue today, and i think that it could have been made bettter. or maybe im just use to, to much violence

-Nigma
SAY WHAT?!

But too much violence=A LOT of action and good fight scenes! This in the Ultimates is great!

Let me say something about the Bruce/Betty moment. The reason it got me is I've been in a lot of trouble, made a lot of enemies, and put myself down, a lot of times. Mostly it all is because of a girl. I think the reason I enjoyed that moment most was because Betty represented all those girls and Bruce was all those guys who do stupid things just for the girl. What nailed it was when she admitted it was her fault. Does Millar know what we're going through? Does this man know how to write or what?

Yes indeed, women can bring out the best and worst in men. For Janet to forgive Hank will be the only way he will be redeemed.

That or create an indestructible kill crazy robot and send it on a rampage, that's what I would do, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

OK, I was one who totally avoided this thread until today.

First - props to MwoF for the Jarvis/Loki idea. True or not, it's an interesting idea that I hadn't read anywhere.

I finished this issue and my first thought was, "Oh man, I'm going to have to go to UC and ask what happened at the end" because I thought it was Banner on the phone but wasn't sure. Glad I wasn't the only one. :D

It was funny, as I'm reading the part with Fury bringing in the champaign, I'm thinking, geez this is a dumb way to resolve this. Glad to see I was wrong - Millar had me totally fooled. :lol:

Millar is so awesome on this book. As is Hitch, but that goes without saying.

Latest posts

Back