Ultimates 2 #3 discussion (spoilers)

I think it's pretty clear that Bruce is alive, the only really debatable points are how much of role did Hank take. He seemed genuinely surprised so my guess would be that he did a few small things, but didn't think Bruce would make it.

In any case, I think we may see a more controlled "nicer" Hulk, in the future if we see him again in this arc (and I hope we do). All that therapy with Xavier had to have done something, especially as he didn't turn into the Hulk for a very long time before his execution.

All that said I'll agree with most people here and say that this issue isone of the best single issues I've ever read and Ultiamtes 2 is shaping up to be about best series in my (admittedly small) collection. The writing was so full of incredible little details. Tony placing the rosary in Bruce's hand and his subsequent comments come to mind. And Tony in general has been given a lot more depth in these last two issues (though we saw a bit of that in Ultimates #6). He's got a lot more than scientific knowledge up there. All the characters have been developed very well. Two big thumbs up to Millar.

Yeah, I too think it's pretty clear that a) Banner is alive b) Pym had something to do with it and c) Banner knows this. What threw me off is that when Pym took the call, he seemed kind of panicked or something, then it shows him just strolling down the street.

icemastertron said:
SAY WHAT?!

But too much violence=A LOT of action and good fight scenes! This in the Ultimates is great!

not in this issuie, i WANTED to see the ship blowing up,not just after it went up and the little white thingies....i'll admit it was a good story line, one of the better ones. "me like boom"

UltimateE said:
Yeah, I too think it's pretty clear that a) Banner is alive b) Pym had something to do with it and c) Banner knows this. What threw me off is that when Pym took the call, he seemed kind of panicked or something, then it shows him just strolling down the street.
Erm, Pym took the call in panic mode because he wanted to talk to Banner, but then Banner hangs up and walks off.

And the next issue has Captain Britain on the cover, and also features the introduction of Captain Spain and Captain Italy, if I remember correctly. Which seems to mesh with the whole 'hunting Thor down' part, especially if he's returning back to his homeland. Maybe the dimensional walls are weaker there, and he can travel to try and take on Loki easier? *shrugs* Or perhaps cause a great big dimensional tear if all the Loki stuff is in his head.

Cap Britain uh....thankz...I wonder if banner is still carrying around the cross, or who gave it to him...he might have thought pmy gave it to him?

jtg3885 said:
Erm, Pym took the call in panic mode because he wanted to talk to Banner, but then Banner hangs up and walks off.

Yeah, I got it...sorry, bad pronoun usage on my part. :oops:

Was Banner in NYC or somewhere else? A guy is reading a paper in Spanish (if I recall correctly) & I think the building looked like some sort of embassy or something - anyone recognize it?

The flags don't seem to be country-specific, and the building isn't quite grand enough for an embassy. Also noting the palm tree in the corner... I'm looking at my mom's vacation pictures from the Jimmy Carter Work Project this year, and I can't help but say that it reminds me of Mexico. Perhaps some coastline town that obtains enough tourists to account for the number of white people? That would also fit with the 'blown up in the Pacific and swam to shore' theory.

Not trying to be clichéd or condescending or anything. That's honestly what it resembles to me. Actually, it may be a little too dirty to be Mexico, if coastline tourist cities run anything like Puebla. They actually had entire crews out there with brooms made of twigs sweeping the streets clean. That's what they did all day, go up and down the streets cleaning.

006_3a.jpg
010_7a.jpg

Mexico sounds right. "That's where I'm going to spend the rest of my days, A warm place with no memories" - Shawshank Redemption

Sorry I couldn't resist...

Anyway, I hear plenty of Mexico is pretty dirty.

One interesting thing about Banner being on the run that we haven't seen before is this time when he turns into the Hulk he starts eating people.

Thats a little more severe than throwing gansters over cars ala Lou Feregno.

Could the effects of the nuke have somehow changed the Hulk (maybe for the better)? A possibility Millar might have been alluding to with caterpillar metaphor in Banner's eulogy.

Also Banner's cousin... Ult. Shulkie anyone.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out, there is almost too much for one book!

The bad thing about Ultimates is that it has ruined me for other comics, they seem lame in comparison.

ngnot said:
One interesting thing about Banner being on the run that we haven't seen before is this time when he turns into the Hulk he starts eating people.

Thats a little more severe than throwing gansters over cars ala Lou Feregno.

Could the effects of the nuke have somehow changed the Hulk (maybe for the better)? A possibility Millar might have been alluding to with caterpillar metaphor in Banner's eulogy.

Hopefully the cannibilism will be dropped soon. I think maybe the variant supersoldier serum made him do some of the more extreme things that he did. Hopefully in an Ultimate Hulk Mini, Hulk will be toned down a bit. He is going to have to keep a low profile afterall.

ngnot said:
Also Banner's cousin... Ult. Shulkie anyone.

I don't see how she's going to legitimately fit into this. But I'd love to see her.

ngnot said:
Can't wait to see how this all plays out, there is almost too much for one book!

Ultimate Hulk Mini, Please... :D

Awesome pics, jtg - thanks. I've been to Mexico as well, and can back up the cleanliness part. I'm sure there are some areas that are "dirty" but where I was was pretty clean. Cleaner than a lot is places in the US *coughcoughDetroitcoughcough*.

UltimateE said:
Awesome pics, jtg - thanks. I've been to Mexico as well, and can back up the cleanliness part. I'm sure there are some areas that are "dirty" but where I was was pretty clean. Cleaner than a lot is places in the US *coughcoughDetroitcoughcough*.

Thing is where you were was probably big tourist spots... so they have to be kept clean. Cancun is the perfect example stray anywhere inward from the beach... and :sick:

I just read it, and I have to agree with all the praise here - great issue, maybe the strongest one so far! I actually wet my eyes during the scene with Betty and Bruce (yeah I confess, I´m a wuss).

My guess is that Pym gave Banner a smaller dose when drugging him, so that he had a fighting chance of surviving the explosion by turning into the Hulk. He also left the bagpack and some stuff. I don´t think he did much more than that however, so he wasn´t sure he would survive. That´s why he´s so surprised at the end, to get it confirmed that Banner is alive. Maybe Pym also realizes then just what he actually has done - he has set the Hulk free again! This is _surely_ going to come back and bite him.

I really liked the mention of Ultron also, and right now I can´t wait until the nest issue. I want to know the origin of Thor!

Latest posts

Back