Ultimates 2 #8 Discussion (SPOILERS)

As we know Millar hasn't killed a single member of the Ultimates yet, and I don't think he will. Hawkeye is alive, hulk, Thor and Cap is alive. No one is gonna get killed.

MaxwellSmart said:
I can totally see it now. Iron Man splits and neglects to tell SHIELD that the Rocketmen armor needs an authorization code from the Stark Enterprises Network or the armor's computer system erases itself.
I can see that. But It's kind of outa Tony's hands now isn't it? I mean I'm sure he signed contracts and what tech he gave to SHIELD is there's now.

Seacow said:
As we know Millar hasn't killed a single member of the Ultimates yet, and I don't think he will. Hawkeye is alive, hulk, Thor and Cap is alive. No one is gonna get killed.
Yeah, kinda sad.

Maybe he'll have Banner's lawyer killed as a form of public retaliation when it's discovered that the Hulk is still at large.

:lol:

Terraneaux said:
Perhaps Tony is masterminding something of his own, without Fury's oversight. If Hawkeye really isn't dead (and he very well could be, especially interesting considering the 616 events pertaining to hawkeye right now), then it had to have been either Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch who saved him. In which case they are keeping Hawkeye hidden somewhere while the wait for the traitor to slip up and show himself. Also when Natasha is trying out her wedding dress she's complaining about Quicksilver hanging around, it could be because tony is having quicksilver and wanda protect natasha and he hasn't told her yet what's going on (Though of course pietro and wanda are more or less...inseperable). In addition Jan wasn't there, either because she had traitor stuff to do (meet with hank...) or because tony thinks she's one of the possibilities for being a traitor and wants to keep her away from natasha. Of course tony could not know about it at all and it could be quicksilver and wanda doing it on their own.

So my personal view on this: Loki said specifically that he just showed up to take down thor, and that this whole traitor business was somebody else's doing. Tony saw it coming, and possibly was the one who gave Bruce some sort of stimulant to wake him up and prevent him from dying in the nuke on that carrier, as after all he was the last one with him. Remember when Bruce called Hank and thanked him, thinking it was Hank who had saved his life? Hank seemed pretty surprised and upset that Bruce was still alive.

So Tony's seen this coming, and also forseen the need to have the Ultimates not be under the jurisdiction of the government anymore. He's having to walk a very thin line right now, because he can't let on too much and at the same time has to work almost single-handedly to make sure the team doesn't get taken apart. Iron Man indeed.

So people who are in on tony's plan: Quicksilver, maybe Wanda, NOT Natasha, MAYBE Bruce, if they've talked since the nuke (doesn't tony take periodic trips to mount everest? Is that why Bruce was in the himalayas in the annual? It would also be interesting if he was hunting down Ultimate Doc Strange to try to work out some kind of peace with his Hulk side). There's also the outside chance that Fury is in on this with Tony too, because he's seen the need to move the Ultimates away from under SHIELD's jurisdiction. It's obvious that he doesn't like what he was doing with Lieberman etc.

I love you.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I can see that. But It's kind of outa Tony's hands now isn't it? I mean I'm sure he signed contracts and what tech he gave to SHIELD is there's now.

Yeah, kinda sad.

contracts! please. the U.S. military is always getting screwed over with cushy contracts to defense contractors. trust me that's a real world element that won't look out of place in the Ultimates. assuming of course that Tony disables or refuses to provide maintenance for stuff he's sold to the government.

Fuzzy Birds said:
For your own safety, don't mention anything about Tony's intelligence while E might hear it.....

No no, mention the intelligence. He's very intelligent. It's the idiotic "reason" for the intelligence that kills me.

UltimateE said:
No no, mention the intelligence. He's very intelligent. It's the idiotic "reason" for the intelligence that kills me.

I take it you've been reading Card's series? I ditched that after issue #2 annoyed the heck out of me and I have been very happily forgetting the whole thing ever since. But even in the context of Ultimates V1 and V2, Tony's brilliance comes out only in flashes - he's portrayed as a giddy joking playboy, but you know there has to be a lot under that. Yes, he inherited a thriving business, but he had the business and engineering acumen to boost it even further, to develop the IM armor and all the support equipment. We haven;t seen a lot of "Serious Tony" thus far, but I think that's coming right up.

Rhyo said:
I take it you've been reading Card's series? I ditched that after issue #2 annoyed the heck out of me and I have been very happily forgetting the whole thing ever since. But even in the context of Ultimates V1 and V2, Tony's brilliance comes out only in flashes - he's portrayed as a giddy joking playboy, but you know there has to be a lot under that. Yes, he inherited a thriving business, but he had the business and engineering acumen to boost it even further, to develop the IM armor and all the support equipment. We haven;t seen a lot of "Serious Tony" thus far, but I think that's coming right up.
We don't drop it because we're Ultimate Addicts but I agree with your point on "serious" Tony coming right up. Do you mean his "playboy" nature was a bad thing? I thought Ultimate Tony was very well written (In The Ultimates).

TheManWithoutFear said:
We don't drop it because we're Ultimate Addicts but I agree with your point on "serious" Tony coming right up. Do you mean his "playboy" nature was a bad thing? I thought Ultimate Tony was very well written (In The Ultimates).
No, I don't think the playboy thing is necessarily bad, but I think it gives him a superficial appearance which is not representative of the whole package. Often you see him with a drink in his hand, joking around, but there has to be a strongly driven man under all that to achieve what he has. You don't just waltz into the lab, hung over from a night's partying, and come up with advanced tech in a few hours, I don't care how blue you were as a child or where your brain is or is not located.

Rhyo said:
No, I don't think the playboy thing is necessarily bad, but I think it gives him a superficial appearance which is not representative of the whole package. Often you see him with a drink in his hand, joking around, but there has to be a strongly driven man under all that to achieve what he has. You don't just waltz into the lab, hung over from a night's partying, and come up with advanced tech in a few hours, I don't care how blue you were as a child or where your brain is or is not located.
I dunno man, I've done some pretty impressive things hungover. Tony Stark's my hero.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I dunno man, I've done some pretty impressive things hungover. Tony Stark's my hero.

Lol - which is why you fly around these boards in heavy armor you designed while hung over. I see.

No, I think that Millar has been purposely keeping Tony somewhat low-key and "non-threatening." It'd be real easy to imagine Tony "all of the sudden" coming up with some things to surprise the heck out of Nick Fury, who generally thinks he has a handle on everything.

I was looking through over the conversation between Thor and Tony at the Triskelion again, trying to interpret it in light of the issues following. Tony certainly looks troubled by the whole thing. Maybe he's deciding "it's time."

I don't think Tony had anything to do with the death of Hawkeye's family, but he could certainly be working against the military aspect (rather than "humanitarian") of the Ultimates, developing his own version of the group. No one else has the resources to fund or equip a new group.

Rhyo said:
I take it you've been reading Card's series?

:(

Rhyo said:
I ditched that after issue #2 annoyed the heck out of me and I have been very happily forgetting the whole thing ever since.

I envy you. :D

Rhyo said:
No, I don't think the playboy thing is necessarily bad, but I think it gives him a superficial appearance which is not representative of the whole package. Often you see him with a drink in his hand, joking around, but there has to be a strongly driven man under all that to achieve what he has.

Tha'ts what I like about his character. He's insanely intelligent and has achieved monumental success in many areas of his life, but he obviously has self-esteem issues that conflict with that. It's a very precarious balance that Millar handles extremely well.

"Hello, is someone there!?....I should warn you, I'm not just blind. I'M A SUPERHER-AGHHHH!!! Stop hitting me! Did I m-OW!-did I mention that I was a-a lawyer! Yeah, I'm gonna sue your as-AHH! Just tell me your name so I can file the proper pape-AGHHHH!!! STOP IT, MY HEAD IS BLEEDING!"

moonmaster said:
"Hello, is someone there!?....I should warn you, I'm not just blind. I'M A SUPERHER-AGHHHH!!! Stop hitting me! Did I m-OW!-did I mention that I was a-a lawyer! Yeah, I'm gonna sue your as-AHH! Just tell me your name so I can file the proper pape-AGHHHH!!! STOP IT, MY HEAD IS BLEEDING!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moonmaster said:

"Matt?"

"Foggy? Is that you? Thank God, people are beating me up!"

"Ah... no. You're caught in a revolving door, you blind ****."

"..."

"You're the worst character ever."

Latest posts

Back