Ultimates 2 #8 Discussion (SPOILERS)

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't get how Banner is going to return and then run away again? I guess I'm the only guy who wants these things to branch out so radically and just have certain characters grow into their own stories. *Sigh* oh well...

I wasn't sure if Hulk would show up, but considering Hulk vs Wolverine, which is the "Hulk is on the run" series, it makes sense that he can return in U2.

You know what I would've LOVED?

No Ultimates 3.

Instead, we get a mini-series focusing on each of the main Ultimates. Ultimate Captain America. Ultimate Iron Man (a good one). Ultimate Thor. Ultimate Hulk.

Each one is six issues long and perhaps we also get an "Ultimate SHIELD" mini that runs concurrently with them focusing on the Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Black Widow with possibly the Reserves and the Union. Kinda Ultimate Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos.

Then, after two years of minis, there's a half-year hiatus, and then summer 2008 kicks off Ultimates 3.

The hype would kill us all.

Instead we go straight from Ultimates 2 to 3, have a Hulk vs Wolverine crossover (because we need more crossovers), Card destroying Iron Man continuity, and JEPH ****ING LOEB.

Whatever.

Bass said:
I wasn't sure if Hulk would show up, but considering Hulk vs Wolverine, which is the "Hulk is on the run" series, it makes sense that he can return in U2.

No Ultimates 3.

Instead, we get a mini-series focusing on each of the main Ultimates. Ultimate Captain America. Ultimate Iron Man (a good one). Ultimate Thor. Ultimate Hulk.

Each one is six issues long and perhaps we also get an "Ultimate SHIELD" mini that runs concurrently with them focusing on the Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Black Widow with possibly the Reserves and the Union. Kinda Ultimate Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos.

Then, after two years of minis, there's a half-year hiatus, and then summer 2008 kicks off Ultimates 3.

Instead we go straight from Ultimates 2 to 3, have a Hulk vs Wolverine crossover (because we need more crossovers), Card destroying Iron Man continuity, and JEPH ****ING LOEB.

Whatever.

You need a drink or a toke. Either one, but you need it.

Bass said:
But... *Shakes his head in confusion* No it would make more sense if he was still on the run, wouldn't it? I mean if he shows up at the end then what's the point in sending Wolverine after him? He's right there.

Bass said:

No Ultimates 3.

Whatever.
Gonna have to agree there. Not that I hate Loeb just saying they should take the break. And they should've done with the way of Minis after this not a third volume.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But... *Shakes his head in confusion* No it would make more sense if he was still on the run, wouldn't it? I mean if he shows up at the end then what's the point in sending Wolverine after him? He's right there.

Gonna have to agree there. Not that I hate Loeb just saying they should take the break. And they should've done with the way of Minis after this not a third volume.

A break!? A BREAK!? I would absolutely FREEK if I had to wait THREE years for the next Ultimates. They are the best running story in comics, PERIOD. I had almost given up on USM and UXM until they showed up. Breaking up each Character would require all of these different writers and there would be enough writers that one of them would absolutely piss me off (And I'm afraid they'd do something to Hawkeye that would cause me to do something that I would regret). You are all concerned with UIM right now, (and yes, I know they are planning to do separate arcs for most if not all of them) just imagine what people would do if they knew that Ultimates 3 wasn't coming for three years. There wouldn't even be a story board for it yet, which would give too much for the individual arcs to whatever they wanted. ICK!

mmm.....it was ok, only part i liked in the issue was quicksilver making the comment about fat ankels....i don't know why but it was funny. other that thta it was uhhhhh.

Hawkeye101 said:
A break!? A BREAK!? I would absolutely FREEK if I had to wait THREE years for the next Ultimates. They are the best running story in comics, PERIOD. I had almost given up on USM and UXM until they showed up. Breaking up each Character would require all of these different writers and there would be enough writers that one of them would absolutely piss me off (And I'm afraid they'd do something to Hawkeye that would cause me to do something that I would regret). You are all concerned with UIM right now, (and yes, I know they are planning to do separate arcs for most if not all of them) just imagine what people would do if they knew that Ultimates 3 wasn't coming for three years. There wouldn't even be a story board for it yet, which would give too much for the individual arcs to whatever they wanted. ICK!

Waiting three years for the next installment?

Didn't hurt Star Wars.

The Ultimates should be to Marvel comics, what Star Wars is to cinema. Big, bold, and everyone pisses their pants in anticipating for the next 'episode'.

Bass said:
Waiting three years for the next installment?

Didn't hurt Star Wars.

The Ultimates should be to Marvel comics, what Star Wars is to cinema. Big, bold, and everyone pisses their pants in anticipating for the next 'episode'.

yeah, but what if after all that waiting all we get is Jar-Jar Binks?

I liked Jar Jar. But I get your point and you're right - Jeph Loeb will suck no matter how many years we give 'im.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I've never seen so much resentment for a writer based solely on the fact that he's not bad but just he's replacing Millar. I think this could still potentially be a good title.

I don't know enough about Jeph Loeb to comment on his writing skills are style - I HAVE seen enough of Joe Mad's art to know that it's not suitable for the type of Ultimates title I want to read. I much prefer V2 of Ultimates to V1. V1 was just a regular comic book, good guys fight bad guys, big battles, nasty aliens, yada yada. A good example of that kind of book, admittedly. V2 has taken a look at the politics of superheroes, with a very taut mystery/thriller thrown in, and I can't envision anything but a very realistic style of art working on that. Hitch pulls it off by making them all look very human as well as making them look like superheroes. Without that dual character nature, the "realistic" approach doesn't work, and the book loses a lot of appeal to me.

I am not a "completist" reader, and an entirely new direction with new writer and new artist is starting from square 1 with me. I'll have to see a lot of previews and read a lot of interviews before I pick it up.

No, see, I like Loeb. I just don't like the idea of Loeb being exclusive to Marvel. He seems much more comfortable with DC characters than Marvel characters. Back on topic, though.

I still don't get this issue. As we can all probably tell, Cap isn't the traitor. Who set him up then, and HOW did they set him up?

I know who the traitor is. It's Tony. The brain tumor throughout his entire body has made him paralyzed and turned him into Ultimate M.O.D.A.K. In a psychotic delirium, he blames his brain body on the Ultimates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back