Ultimates V2 #10 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Ultimates said:
Ya know..... using fingernails as weapons? ORIGINAL. and anyone who complains about the realistic possibility of someone being able to do that... dude, stop reading comics then, because ur gonna find alot of things that arent "realistic".

And as for how many people think he should have used his teeth? Yea, would have been cool, if Mark Millar decided he was going to start stealing ideas from other writers.... such as Daniel Way from Bullseye's Greatest Hits, issue 5. I've seen both done in comics, and while both are very cool (and Bullseyes Greatest Hits is a REALLY fun read), I'd much prefer Millar do something original.

. . . . . . . . . . . . I think your "then stop reading comics" is a bit off. I've got on people about their arguments about realism in comics. One guy at ManWithoutFear.com thought that Bendis run was too violent and there should've been no violence at all. I mean cmon, that's where you shouldn't be reading comic books about vigilantes. It's not that we don't find it realistic that Hawkeye did that with his nails, it's we just thought it was stupid.

Props on the Bullseye's greatest hits read. I loved that part. But it's also the reason I found it odd Hawkeye did something similar with his nails.

This was so good. I just got it, wow. This really shows how good mark is. 5/5

Issue 10 was good, but not that good, Hawkeye scene kicks ***, but the rest is just plain. I don't know, It didn't worth the delays and stuff.

8/10 for fingernails in the throat, he is like Ultimate Bullseye.

Well here's a few thoughts ...

1) We're given a hint about what makes people responsive to the super soldier serum. Both Captain America and Abdul were sickly (of some sort) before they got it, and I'd bet most everyone that got it in between were pretty tough soldiers allready. So I'd assume that they share some sort of disease that is needed in order to be responsive to the super soldier serum, or maybe you just need to be a weakling in order for it to have enough unused potential to work with.

2) Fingernails ... you know what, I'll just pretend that never happened. There's a few redeeming things about it but ... It doesn't say he kills the people there. In fact, it seems more like he did something to their nerve system or so, so either they can't control themself very well or they can't breathe. You see one guy leaning over supporting himself on the wall, so they are clearly not instantly dead. I would be inclined to suspend my disbelief if they weren't wearing masks covering the head and the neck, which the fingernails couldn't possibly penetrate.

There's degrees of realism in books, movies, comics etc. Basically, you are given a scenario, you are given enough information to get an idea as to how the universe works in the scenario you are reading about / watching, and as to how much realism matters. Taking a few examples, I'd say winnie the poh, donald duck, simpsons, Lucifer, Hellblazer and the ultimates all have varying degrees of realism in their universes. Given the Ultimate Universe so far, physics definitively seems to be working somewhat similiar to the real world, and having fingernails disregard air resistance and penetration power needed to get through those ski masks is just bleh. Stupid.

3) Tony Stark rocks. Go go Iron Man, and I bet this is quite a nasty bit of work, probably something that never has been used before because it's too much overkill for the "normal" work.

4) Wasp is good. Cap America is ... too predictable. Didn't like his one line in the issue.

5) I think that Fury has had Plym working as a double agent. There's a few interesting things that point in that direction. One, he is really annoyed he wasn't told about the invasion and the massive destruction etc. He didn't know the scale of what was planned. Which would explain why Fury is taken by surprise as well, since he could have known about it, but not known all the details or the timing and therefore been surprised as well. Especially if he "thought" he knew everything from an inside source (Plym).

Also, there's just so many possible double meanings to what he says when he is asked if his robots can keep the peace, hehe. Besides, when Wasp was meeting him outside in an earlier issue, I remember him not wanting to talk about what he was doing at the time + saying he was brave "behind everyones back", which could have a few double meanings as well if he turns out to actually be a hero. He might have been given one last chance by Fury to redeem himself... well, it's a theory at least.

6) I liked it, altho it was mostly just a "setup" issue. I'll give it 4/5.

7) I hope we'll see Hulk, Thor and Iron Man kick some major *** later on :). An intelligent improved Hulk (result from the wolverine vs thor crossover), an Iron Man with a suit he never had to use before, and a really pissed Thor ... well that ought to do it :).

Aebriol said:
5) I think that Fury has had Plym working as a double agent. There's a few interesting things that point in that direction. One, he is really annoyed he wasn't told about the invasion and the massive destruction etc. He didn't know the scale of what was planned. Which would explain why Fury is taken by surprise as well, since he could have known about it, but not known all the details or the timing and therefore been surprised as well. Especially if he "thought" he knew everything from an inside source (Plym).

Also, there's just so many possible double meanings to what he says when he is asked if his robots can keep the peace, hehe. Besides, when Wasp was meeting him outside in an earlier issue, I remember him not wanting to talk about what he was doing at the time + saying he was brave "behind everyones back", which could have a few double meanings as well if he turns out to actually be a hero. He might have been given one last chance by Fury to redeem himself... well, it's a theory at least.
But then Fury would of known that Widow was the traitor and had warned Tony. By the way did we ever see what was recorded from Hawkeye's house and how it implicated Cap?

random said:
But then Fury would of known that Widow was the traitor

Or not. Because they didn't tell Pym while he was busy building Ultrons in the basement together with all the other scientists that had just switched sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, what he said, there's no reason why Plym would know who was the traitor (or even that there were one); in fact, he might not know much but there being planned a retaliation against the US and they would want his robots for it... it's specifically said he wasn't trusted, so why reveal their inside ace? no reason for it.

Aebriol said:
Yeah, what he said, there's no reason why Plym would know who was the traitor (or even that there were one); in fact, he might not know much but there being planned a retaliation against the US and they would want his robots for it... it's specifically said he wasn't trusted, so why reveal their inside ace? no reason for it.
Pym from Ultimates 2 #6 said:
I would never have pegged you as the traitor
There you have it

Here's an observation and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I apologize if it has:

When the leaders at the Louvre are talking about the individual members of The Liberators they don't mention Loki at all. Are they aware that he too is working with their agents in the field? It seems to me they already have their "Thor" with Perun. I'm not fully certain they know he's tagging along.

If so, what could this mean in the grand scheme of everything?

the_devastator_2099 said:
Here's an observation and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I apologize if it has:

When the leaders at the Louvre are talking about the individual members of The Liberators they don't mention Loki at all. Are they aware that he too is working with their agents in the field? It seems to me they already have their "Thor" with Perun. I'm not fully certain they know he's tagging along.

If so, what could this mean in the grand scheme of everything?

Well i don't think they would like to mention Loki

"And here we have a guy who thinks is the god of Mischief. He comes from Asgard and he doesn't have much powers now, but he is a great companion."

Yep you are right, I forgot about that. There goes my looney theory :(.

Here's hoping for Hank Pym to activate the Ultron army to kick ***.

ProjectX2 said:
Here's hoping for Hank Pym to activate the Ultron army to kick ***.

I'm thinking that will happen, and I'm sure others are too. He's just seems uneasy about this, if in fact it's true and he's not a double agent.

Knowing that, would it be a disappointment?

You know what else - and I hate admitting this - but the delays between issues are doing a lot for this series as far as discussion and hype. It really does seem to make each issue seem like an epic book.

UltimateE said:
You know what else - and I hate admitting this - but the delays between issues are doing a lot for this series as far as discussion and hype. It really does seem to make each issue seem like an epic book.

'S funny, because I was thinking just the opposite - that the delay and hype build our expectations up to the point where they can't possible be met by the issues or by the series. People do get more excited when an issue finally DOES come out (what? Christmas ALREADY?) than your standard monthly comic, but I think they are expecting each and every panel to be absolutely the best thing they've ever seen - and while I think Ultimates is very good, I don't think it can stand that kind of scrutiny.

UltimateE said:

I agree.

The hype is doing WONDERS for the book. If they were released on-time...on a continuous basis....I don't think the book would be as good.

It would still be one of the best out there.....easily top 3 on anyone's list. But I don't think would be as powerful as it is.

Damn Rhyo, I was going to get a Hawkeye avatar. :D

ProjectX2 said:
Damn Rhyo, I was going to get a Hawkeye avatar. :D

Well, I was going to use this one:

teeth2.jpg

but it doesn't resize well enough and you can't read the "Run" comment.

Seriously, though, this is why I love Hitch's Ultimates. Notice that a couple of the teeth are crooked, with an overlap.

There is a panel of Tony, lifting his arm to swing the bottle at Widow's head, where you can see the tshirt on his arm bunch up and the edge open in mid-swing.

All the little stuff like that.

Rhyo said:
Well, I was going to use this one:

teeth2.jpg

but it doesn't resize well enough and you can't read the "Run" comment.

This why I say we should be able to have visable sig pics again. As long as they are too big....they should be allowed. No more than 1 pic in a sig......so people can't be slick and have 4 pics all within the size limit. Wankers.

But that's another argument for another thread......

Hmmmmmmm??????? :sure:

Victor Von Doom said:
This why I say we should be able to have visable sig pics again. As long as they are too big....they should be allowed. No more than 1 pic in a sig......so people can't be slick and have 4 pics all within the size limit. Wankers.

But that's another argument for another thread......

When I browse boards that allow them, I usually go into the user control area and shut them off because:
a) people CAN'T be reasonable about it and want to put in too much stuff.
b) I get tired of seeing the same images over and over.
c) it annoys me to see a one-line reply followed by half a screen of "flash" and "bling."
d) I don't CARE whose body someone is lusting after at any given moment, I don't want to see pictures of her/it/him.

What can I think of to say to get this back on track... how about the redemption of Pym? Is that gonna happen? Is he going to make the attempt, anyway? I don't think anyone is past redemption, though I do think it's a long, hard road back and I can't see that Hank can do enough in the short term to achieve it. (Maybe not as long and hard as the road that would be ahead of Natasha...)

While I would prefer that everyone survive the series, I'm betting it won't happen, and Hank is now my top pick for "not long for this world."

Yep, the "run" pic would make an awesome banner.

Latest posts

Back