Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

Go on...

I'm all for this in any fashion.

I'm thinking like a site called WhatWentWrongWithTheUU.com, but a better name, or something like WhyMarvelWhy.com. And just fill it with essays and articles(well written ones) about all this crap, educating the public and getting support. Then spread the word across the internet anyway we can. And maybe fill up Marvel's e-mail inbox with links, full article, and what not. Thing with something like that is you gotta go all in or it's a waste of time.

So Rick Jones had nothing to do with. Ben and Sue defeated Dormanu with no explantion. Wolverine who is meant to survive anything can survive a nuke but not repulsor rays and optic blasts at the same time. Wanda's body is still hidden. Toad died at some point but no indication if Wraith, Firestar, and Psylocke survived. Man with Strange's body unrevealed. Logan's letter unrevealed.

Loeb...:arrgh:

Wolverines letter was revealed in Ultimate X-men. It was talked about in the issue where Wolverine went to see Peter Parker for some blood analysis or something. They didn't show exactly what it said but it was something along the lines of Kitty being like a daughter to him.

I really thought Rick Jones was going to play a big part in Ultimatum. I can't believe they didn't even bring him up.

I also thought that the real Black Panther (not Cap-Black Panther) would come back to help out. Cap did him a big favor and I thought he was gonna come save the day. It seems like they forgot about him.

Among the other plot holes and things left hanging, I notice they also didn't reveal what was in the box Wolverine gave to Kitty. Maybe it was a piece of his brain so they could regenerate him.... heheh.

Or better yet it will be revealed to be Jeph Loebs severed head in the box. Wolverine saying "you'll know what to do" means burn the fu*%er so he won't regenerate.:twisted:

I'm thinking like a site called WhatWentWrongWithTheUU.com, but a better name, or something like WhyMarvelWhy.com. And just fill it with essays and articles(well written ones) about all this crap, educating the public and getting support. Then spread the word across the internet anyway we can. And maybe fill up Marvel's e-mail inbox with links, full article, and what not. Thing with something like that is you gotta go all in or it's a waste of time.

id be down for something like this.

I'd contribute something for sure. Loeb is the reason I've stopped reading comics. I only read UU titles and now I don't read comics.

Oh my Good God, that was just awful.

Let's start with the beginning: Wolverine has a BERSERKER RAGE. Why is he talking to Magneto and telling him ****? Why doesn't he just go "RARRRGH" and stab him up? Why, when it seems Hawkeye is SO accurate he can shoot an arrow into Cyclops' temple so the arrow snaps and doesn't kill him, can he not kill Magneto during Wolverine's fighty fighty? Why doesn't Jean TK Magneto's helmet off? Why don't Cyclops and/or Captain America have ANY kind of strategy? And how does a repulsor blast and a optic blast kill Wolverine? And why didn't Magneto just de-adamantium him before? Why is this so ****? Also, when Wolverine dies, I like how the rest CONTINUE TO JUST WATCH. It is, apparently, what they are good at.

Then there's Nick Fury who, apparently, has had, since before THE TOMORROW PEOPLE an OFF-SWITCH to Magneto. Think about this, if Nick Fury KNEW that if he told Magneto that he's really a human, Magneto would stop all the hate, why did he not do this BEFORE? They've had telepaths like... oh, I dunno, XAVIER. If I were Cyclops, I'd kill Fury too for being such a douche.

And Thing wouldn't kill Doom. He's not like that. And even if he did, I would think Doom would go out on a asteroid flying into the sun. What nonsense.

AND THEN THERE IS A MYSTERY VILLAIN BEHIND IT ALL.

Colossus said it best with, "When is this going to stop?" and "How can it get any worse?"

Apparently, it won't and it will.

Jeph Loeb is the worst comic writer I can think of. I cannot think of a comic writer with less talent and skill and integrity than this man.

Worst than Liefield?

I haven't kept up on Ultimatum and knew absolutely zero about it besides the fact that it's about Magneto causing Hurricane Katrina or something but I decided to read the Wikipedia entry on this and whaaaaatttt?????

What exactly was the point of all this? Just to kill everybody?

Was the full title Ultimatum: The Book Where We Kill All the Characters?

I em cunfus-ed

Last edited:
I haven't kept up on Ultimatum and knew absolutely zero about it besides the fact that it's about Magneto causing Hurricane Katrina or something but I decided to read the Wikipedia entry on this and whaaaaatttt?????

I em cunfus-ed

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I em cunfus-ed

I think the point was supposed to overturn the status of mutants in the Ultimate Universe. I guess they thought that either mutants had become too accepted in the universe, or there wasn't a valid enough reason for their persecution. So the idea was to wash away the complacency of the characters, kill off a bunch of mutants, and trigger a mutant/human war.

At least, that's the impression I get.

I think the point was supposed to overturn the status of mutants in the Ultimate Universe. I guess they thought that either mutants had become too accepted in the universe, or there wasn't a valid enough reason for their persecution. So the idea was to wash away the complacency of the characters, kill off a bunch of mutants, and trigger a mutant/human war.

At least, that's the impression I get.

What's the point of heighten the mutant/human conflict if they canceled UXM and killed of most of the major X-Men heroes and villains? How are they supposed to follow up on that plot point?

I mean what would you do with an UXM title at this point, introduce Ultimate Thunderbird and have him fight Ultimate Unus the untouchable?

Last edited:
What's the point of heighten the mutant/human conflict if they canceled UXM and killed of most of the major X-Men heroes and villains? How are they supposed to follow up on that plot point?

I mean what would you do with an UXM title at this point, introduce Ultimate Thunderbird and have him fight Ultimate Unus the untouchable?

Unus was already killed by Loeb in Ultimates 3 #4.

I'd totally be game for a blog or something about the demise of the Ultimate Universe.

I think that one of the biggest problems with Ultimatum (and I realize that it had many, large problems) is that an event like that is simply too big for modern comics. We can assume that Ultimatum affected as many people in the UU, if not more, than Hurricane Katrina did in reality. People were still talking about it three years later and it certainly still affects people today. Here is the problem: in order to have the realistic 3 year recovery period (in Ultimate comics time) that Ultimatum ought to have, it would have to influence Ultimate comics for at least the next 48 years (real time), if the same time conversion of 8 years real time = 1/2 year ultimate comics time remains true.

I highly doubt it would even make it past three years in real time because:
1: most of the writers probably want to forget Ultimatum as soon as possible
2: those that don't (otherwise known as Loeb and... uh... Loeb) will probably forget about Ultimatum
3: I know that I, and presumably many other readers would want to hear about Ultimatum for the next three years.

There are, therefore, two options.
1: the UU takes the hit. It would not be the worst thing, after all time is a flexible thing in comics.
2: Ultimatum is retconned. Should this be the case, I think that the most likely scenario is that Loeb will think that the best way to get Giant Man back for one story is to just make Ultimatum go away.

And on an unrelated note: why couldn't Magician just stop it from happening?

Last edited:
That's actually an interesting point.

When we were asked to bring in an example of a really, really bad comic in my Graphic Forms class, I brought Ultimates 3 #1. There was I think one other guy who had read Millar's Ultimates, and he kept nodding as I was trying to get across how huge of a jump in immaturity and silliness the book had made with this issue. One point I made was that in Ultimates Vol. 1, there is no epic superhero battle until five issues into the series, and it's handled as a strategically planned military operation and the consequences of the battle and 500 people dying is treated as a tragedy and something that has to be recovered from. In Ultimates 3, Venom smashes through a wall a couple of pages into the issue and everyone start punching him.

The idea of writing a relatively grounded take on a superhero universe was such an interesting concept but when you throw around massive tragedies like they're nothing, you completely pull the story out of any semblance of reality. You have to be willing to commit to these kinds of things. In Miracleman, Kid Miracleman murders - often, individually, by hand, and as graphically as you could possibly imagine - 40,000 men, women, and children, and destroys half of London. Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman subsequently treated this unimaginable horror, basically a superhero holocaust that took only a few hours, rightfully as one of the most devastating and important events in the course of human history, because they'd committed to writing a book that had some basis in reality. They were trying to show just how terrible superhuman beings existing in the real world could be. Ultimates seemed to start out with similar intentions but all that's been squandered. It's just more typical superhero books, unnecessary ones at that.

It's depressing that they could take something like the Ultimate Universe and literally strip it of all the things that were supposed to make it unique. They might as well retcon Peter into having been bitten by a radioactive spider and have Tony carry his armor in a briefcase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back