Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

I kinda look at Wolverine like a Zombie. Only useful if the brain is intact.

Yes, but I think 616 Wolverine regenerated from a drop of blood at one point.

Different character, I know, but there's no reason not to think they wouldn't follow that.

For what it's worth, I think that's how it should be. No brain, no Wolverine.

So I just read a synopsis of this on wikipedia, and I never would have imagined that Loeb could not only ruin the Ultimate universe for me forever, but also retroactively ruin the pre-Loeb Ultimate universe for me forever.

He did, in Uncanny X-Men Annual 11 (I'm not a nerd, I googled it (I googled it? I am a nerd))

But the drop of blood only regenerated him because
a single drop of Wolvie's blood lands on the immensely powerful alien god-
gem which super-cosmically charges the superpowers of that blood to
regrow an entire Wolverine, adamantium bones and all. In short, don't
try this at home, kids, at least not without an immensely powerful alien
god-gem of your own.

The simplest evidence against Wolverine having this amount of
regenerative ability, however, is that in the numerous issues with no
alien god-gems in sight that Wolverine gets pounded in, none of the
blood he's leaked so copiously over everything has ever grown into
another Wolverine.

Wolverine has zombie powers, not starfish powers.

Different character, I know, but there's no reason not to think they wouldn't follow that.

He had help from a magic crystal, I forget which one.

Alien god gem? What the ****? That sounds worse. It regrew the adamantium?!

I never liked that, I was thought it was pretty back in the past, where the healing factor was impresive, but didn't make him completely immortal. Wolive should die if someone vaporizes his body, manages to cut off his head, remove hism heart or lungs, he should be dead.

There's no dramatic tension with Wolvie if there is no way he can die in a fight, that just makes him boring.

I never liked that, I was thought it was pretty back in the past, where the healing factor was impresive, but didn't make him completely immortal. Wolive should die if someone vaporizes his body, manages to cut off his head, remove hism heart or lungs, he should be dead.

There's no dramatic tension with Wolvie if there is no way he can die in a fight, that just makes him boring.

To be honest, the only plausible way to kill him is by drowning him, since that isn't a wound. But no one other then Millar tried it. It was in Ultimate X-Men. Sabertooth even wondered why no one else had thought of it.

Still, I think Magneto is one of the few people who could plausibly kill Wolverine, due to his adamantium skeleton. Just use his magnetic powers to rip him apart from the inside, then drown him while he's winded.

Incidentally, if I was organizing a Brotherhood of Mutants or some anti-X-Men team, the first person I'd recruit is Hydro-Man or someone with similar powers.

Last edited:
hate to burst your bubble, but drowning causes wounds...the capillaries in your lungs explode and the deterioration of brain cells causes brain damage

hate to burst your bubble, but drowning causes wounds...the capillaries in your lungs explode and the deterioration of brain cells causes brain damage

Alright, then just deprive him of oxygen. And drowning him is still an acceptable form of comic book science.

Or better yet, make him not so stupid powerful in regeration.

Last edited:
depriving him of oxygen would yield the same results (lifeguard class is coming back to me)

but i completely agree, don't make him so stupid powerful in regeneration

I'm still hoping Millar's first page would reveal that Ultimate Power, Ultimates 3, adn Ultimatium were all the ravings of a homeless mad man name Beol

I'm still hoping Millar's first page would reveal that Ultimate Power, Ultimates 3, adn Ultimatium were all the ravings of a homeless mad man name Beol

You know I think that if we get Loeb to say his name backwards we'll be able to send him back to the fifth dimension so he can't cause any more mischief.

Jean connects Fury and Erik's mind and shows Magneto that mutants are man made, rather than a miracle of birth or a gift from God.

Didn't Magneto already know that based on Ultimate Origins? I mean he set Wolverine free from the tank. He killed his mother because of the torture being done to Wolverine. Her dying words talked about find a cure for this.

Didn't Magneto already know that based on Ultimate Origins? I mean he set Wolverine free from the tank. He killed his mother because of the torture being done to Wolverine. Her dying words talked about find a cure for this.

There is no Ultimate Editorial. Ralph Macchio is a made up being. The person seen in pictures and occasionally at cons is nothing more than an android (coincidentally, this is where Loeb got the idea for Ultimates 3).

It is possible that some of Ultimate Avengers will take place in the past.

After reading the crap synopsis on wiki, apparently wolverine's fist clenches as it falls to the ocean floor and nick fury contends that wolverine's power was always survival, not regeneration...which would be really interesting if it hadn't been for the fist clenching thing. I love wolverine, but that is just ridiculous.

Ultimatum 5:

1: There are countless (as in "I literally gave up counting") small continuity errors that are nearly unnoticeable as a result of the huge continuity errors.
2: The dialogue is still terrible.
3: 1/3 pages are splash pages, even if the art was great (not the case) I would still feel like I spent $4 for a paragraph of content
4: Did Iron Man really say "Omigod"? Loeb must think that s/he is a teenage girl.
5: Mystique attacks the Hulk with a flamethrower and survives...
6: ...thanks to Sabretooth and his glider. Really Loeb?
7: Origins sets up Doom as the man pulling the strings so Loeb decides to erase that in one line of dialogue.
8: Cyclops kills Magneto. If Loeb read any issue of UXM he would see why this would never happen, though that is assuming he even cares.
9: Loeb decides that the best way to show that eight days have passed is to have a blank page with the words "Eight Days Later" on the bottom.
10:Thing kills Doom. Namor is shocked. He must be wondering how this got published.

That said, the last two pages did intrigue me. And the caption made me laugh. A more accurate caption would be "Brian, Mark, Bill J. and Joe Q. : f--k you."

Ultimatum was honestly a terrible comic. You don't have to like Ultimate Power or Ultimate Origins but at least acknowledge that there was an effort in those.

I'm having trouble figuring out is this is the best or worst part of Ultimatum, but it was able to make Ultimates 3 seem relatively decent.

Last edited:
You don't have to like Ultimate Power or Ultimate Origins but at least acknowledge that there was an effort in those.

Ultimate Origins was decent enough, but it never felt like there was an "effort" put into it. It was mailed in.

Power, on the other hand, was almost as bad as Ultimates 3 and there was NO effort put into that.

I'm having trouble figuring out is this is the best or worst part of Ultimatum, but it was able to make Ultimates 3 seem relatively decent.

Agreed.

Latest posts

Back