Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

Sacred&Profane

First of all, say "Loeb" twenty times really fast. That describes his overall quality. (I do pronounce it 'Lobe")

Second: this wasn't as bad as I had expected, but then, I expected Ultimates 3 quality...so even a forced enema is preferable.
The art is outstanding.

Third:
Okay.
Those opening pages are actually the worst of the bunch. After the maelstrom hits, we see:
A whale smash into the Baxter Building, pushing Ben off his lifter.
Johnny and Dr. Storm under water.
Yellowjacket smashing Avengers Manshion, shouting "Jan" (even though he was in the same ****ing room as her, and smashing the house pretty much eliminates any possibility of her hiding from the tidal wave).

Banner turning into Hulk and finding a Watcher, "Why is big Clock thing WATCHING Hulk?"

Kitty phases Peter out of the train car, says she'll watch everyone else while he goes and 'does his thing'

Angel finds Dazzler, drowned.

Tony saves Steve.

Sue has a hemmorage trying to block the next wave. Reed thinks it's Namor's fault for the wave; Thing comes up and tells him they may have lost Johnny AND Dr. Storm, and then Reed runs off to find Namor.

He finds Namor, who is all like "lol arrogant man i wuld nvr hert sue!" then Reed is like "Oky nock u out 4 no reason even tho u could use ur powerz 2 turn bk the wv."

Then we switch to Latveria, which is frozen solid with Ice- even the people, except for Doom, who is pissed off.

Cut to Xavier, suffering from a massive disturbance in the force, as millions cry out in terror...and then were silenced.Cyclops and Wolverine come to help him and he says that Hank, Kurt, and Dazzler are all dead.
(what a way to honor them- off screen deaths, especially for Hank, who we just got back)

Xavier psychically speaks to every surviving Hero and tells them to go to Asteroid M, where Magneto is no doubt expecting them. He says that this is a 'Doomsday Plan" Magneto once discussed, that Xavier never thought it wise to mention to anyone, even though Magneto is a ****ing lunatic.

Then we see the main teaser image, of Magneto in his throne with Thor's hammer.

"Yes, bring them, Charles. Bring Everyone, so I can tell them myself. For what they've done...THEY WILL HAVE TO PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE!"

Next: IT GETS WORSE

Last edited:
Re: Ultimatum pre-release discussion

Kurt is a teleporter.

I doubt he and beast are Dead.

And Angel can fly.

So I doubt he's dead.

The offscreen deaths are there to make you believe they are dead. This is Loeb writing this here.

Kurt is a teleporter.

I doubt he and beast are Dead.

And Angel can fly.

So I doubt he's dead.

The offscreen deaths are there to make you believe they are dead. This is Loeb writing this here.

Xavier says they're dead, though.
Then again, I'm sure Loeb will forget that.
Angel is definitely alive (apparently his wings act like fins).

He does if he knows that Mags is targeting the Xmen, or he thinks Cyke or Wolvie is a traitor.

Last edited:

He does if he knows that Mags is targeting the Xmen, or he thinks Cyke or Wolvie is a traitor.

Jesus, the fact that any theory you throw against the wall is possible with Loeb....
Well, I don't know how to argue.

Surely... surely he'd KNOW they were a traitor? And if that's the case... oh, what does it matter. Telepathy works as the plot needs it too. See Heroes for more.

I can't believe this was $3.99. Not only were there no extra pages, but the cover wasn't even cardstock.

Thankfully, I had a 'Dollar Off' coupon. :)

Why did you buy it? You knew it was going to be bad.

Why did you buy it? You knew it was going to be bad.

Seriously, people STOP BUYING IT!!!!! And if you have to by it out of some masochistic tendecies, then trade wait, or at least hold off for a few weeks. Put SOME kind of dent in their numbers. Seriously after Ultimates 3 I don't want to hear one person who bought it complain about it. The reason this keeps turning out to be utter crap is because YOU KEEP BUYING IT!!!!

I don't want to come off as insulting but jesus titty-****ing christ.

"For what they have done, they must pay the Ultimate price."

(I think 'they' refers to you and me. ... and I think 3.99 is a little short of the 'ultimate' price - though I'll admit it IS a bit much)

Loeb chose the wrong 'tagline' from his last page for his work on the Ultimate line.

He should have moved to the bottom of the page:

"Next: It Gets Worse."

Now THAT's descriptive.. and accurate!

Last edited:

Yeah, Houde has a point. Unless we see a dead body, I don't necessarily rule out the person being alive just yet. It could always be a trick, a lie or whatever with Xavier trying to have a trump card later on.

Surely... surely he'd KNOW they were a traitor? And if that's the case... oh, what does it matter. Telepathy works as the plot needs it too. See Heroes for more.

Maybe not for much longer...Loeb and another of his writing lackeys were fired from Heroes production team yesterday. Thank God. Maybe it'll start getting better (I'd almost guarantee it will). Hopefully Marvel will wise up and do the same.

This issue was terrible. Its Ultimates 3 with Water. Blecch.

Jesus, the fact that any theory you throw against the wall is possible with Loeb....
Well, I don't know how to argue.

Exactly, think like Loeb, and you shall see all.

Yup

Yeah, Houde has a point. Unless we see a dead body, I don't necessarily rule out the person being alive just yet. It could always be a trick, a lie or whatever with Xavier trying to have a trump card later on.

Yup

Re: Ultimatum discussion (Spoilers & Stuff)

"For what they have done, they must pay the Ultimate price."

(I think 'they' refers to you and me. ... and I think 3.99 is a little short of the 'ultimate' price - though I'll admit it IS a bit much)

:lol: Very witty.

Maybe not for much longer...Loeb and another of his writing lackeys were fired from Heroes production team yesterday. Thank God. Maybe it'll start getting better (I'd almost guarantee it will).

We won't see any changes for probably a month or so (depending on how far ahead Heroes is filmed/written).

I can't believe this was $3.99. Not only were there no extra pages, but the cover wasn't even cardstock.

Thankfully, I had a 'Dollar Off' coupon. :)

My guy only charged me $3.

anyway, full Ultimatum poster. I am actually tempted to get this, as it reminds me of all the characters I love from the Universe:
ULTMTM_poster.jpg

*waits for this series to turn into a yo-mamma fight between Magneto and Doom*

ok, I love that poster, i want it!

also, don't ban me but...

i didn't hate it

Last edited:

Seriously, people STOP BUYING IT!!!!! And if you have to by it out of some masochistic tendecies, then trade wait, or at least hold off for a few weeks. Put SOME kind of dent in their numbers. Seriously after Ultimates 3 I don't want to hear one person who bought it complain about it. The reason this keeps turning out to be utter crap is because YOU KEEP BUYING IT!!!!

I don't want to come off as insulting but jesus titty-****ing christ.

Word. I am not buying this crap.

I thought this was kind of funny tho.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18707

Ultimate Bill Jemas & Joe Quesada, Part II

Have you ever spent any time thinking about the hypothetical "What If…" the Ultimate Universe didn't succeed and what it would have meant or done to Marvel at that time?

BJ: I'm not exaggerating when I say if the book wasn't good, it never would have come out. We wouldn't have launched the line. One thing I'm really proud of in retrospect is that Joe and Mark and Brian have kept that tradition going, that the Ultimate books have to be good or you just don't print them.

--------------------------------

It looks like the "tradition" of good Ult books has been discarded.

Latest posts

Back