Ultimatum series discussion [spoilers]

Re: Ultimatum discussion (Spoilers & Stuff)

My guy only charged me $3.

anyway, full Ultimatum poster. I am actually tempted to get this, as it reminds me of all the characters I love from the Universe:
ULTMTM_poster.jpg

This post is the covers all together - which begs the question: did no one think that if Beast and Nightcrawler are dead in #1, they probably shouldn't be on the cover to #5?

Also - I read the issue. Really quite terrible indeed. And I don't think wings work like fins. That's why birds don't swim.

And... well, I think a big force field barrier would only increase the pressure of the tsunami. If I recall correctly, a tsunami is built from water continually hitting the seabed, crashing into it, building into a bigger and bigger wave. The way to alleviate a tsunami is to smooth out the seabed. Putting a big wall in front of it would only succeed in the tsunami crashing into the wall over and over until it smashed. I might have this wrong though, but I'm pretty sure Sue's solution actually destroys Manhattan for a second time. Might be wrong.

Then there's the whole, "How did Doom get out of the zombie universe?" thing.

And I also wonder why Magneto didn't do what he's always done in the UU and release a broadcast saying, "Oh, by the way. I'm going to kill you all now. Because of the following reasons. *ahem* 1: I'm better than you, nyah, nyah. 2: I'm better than you, nyah, nyah. 3: I can't believe Obama won. 4: I told you that there would be reprisal for canceling Firefly! 5: I'm better than you, nyah, nyah." He used to do that. At the end of the comic he's looking forward to the good guys showing up (and who's he talking to by the way?) so he can tell them what's happening. But... he used to preach all the time on tv. Why did he stop?

I can't help but look at this mini and think, "There are 100 ways to do this better." This whole thing just... it's not been thought out at all.

Last edited:

This post is the covers all together - which begs the question: did no one think that if Beast and Nightcrawler are dead in #1, they probably shouldn't be on the cover to #5?
Remember it's a cover. Just because someone died in some issue doesn't mean they can't appear in a latter issue's cover. What's on the cover doesn't mean that's what you'll see in the issue.

Remember Ultimates 2 #5? Thor holding Cap's shield and Iron Man's helmet as if he defeated them? And in the issue, he got his *** handed by them.

And besides, they're on the cover just to show people from the teams and what not to make an "iconic" connecting covers and what-have-you. Least they're on it. (Iceman.... :()

There's a certain difference between 'dramatic license' for a cover and bull****.

Thor holding Cap's shield and Iron Man's helmet on the cover shows that there is a TOUGH battle in this issue and no one's going out easy. The issue reflects that. It's like when a cover shows heroes and villains fighting in costume, yet inside, for some reason, they're in civvies.

It's another thing entirely to put a character on a cover and then not have them appear. If that was the case, people would stick Wolverine on the cover of Punisher MAX issues just so they'd sell.

There's a certain difference between 'dramatic license' for a cover and bull****.

Thor holding Cap's shield and Iron Man's helmet on the cover shows that there is a TOUGH battle in this issue and no one's going out easy. The issue reflects that. It's like when a cover shows heroes and villains fighting in costume, yet inside, for some reason, they're in civvies.

It's another thing entirely to put a character on a cover and then not have them appear. If that was the case, people would stick Wolverine on the cover of Punisher MAX issues just so they'd sell.
So you've read #5 then? You know for 100% they will not appear?

Well then, if he DOES appear - it's a bit of a giveaway that they didn't die.

The problem is that, with Loeb, I have no idea what he's doing because he puts twists and turns in that don't make sense just so that they 'shock' you. I mean, Magneto could turn out to be a rabbit.

"I'm a midget!" :lol:

So is it better or worse then Ultimates 3?

So is it better or worse then Ultimates 3?

it's hard to tell, nothing really happened
(Well NYC was flooded and a bunch of people died and just about everyone in Latveria except Doom froze to death)

If you're gonna have team covers like that you should put everyone on them

Kitty, MoonKnight, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, and Black Cat should be on the cover with Spidey (whether or not they are in the story)

and Liz, Iceman, Dazzler, and Angel should be on the cover with the X-Men

other questions, don't you think Prof X would be careful enough to NOT send his telepathy to Magneto to let them know they were coming?

were Spidey and Kitty actually flirting? it really seemed like it.

Reed left his dying girlfriend to try and beat up Namor?!? really?!?!

how tall is the L track? because it looked like that tsunami was at least 15 stories high...but the L was apparently above water

Kitty with her phasing abilities and inability to get hurt, and the fact that she can fly decides to stay in the train, and send Pete off to fight a tsunami with his webs and spider-sense?

Tony Stark is telling Cap to not be thinking about another man's wife?

(there are so many more for the ultimates, but they have been ruined, so we'll just leave it alone)

the X-Men are fighting about who blends in better?!? really? again?

How is Doom back?

Why are they letting Loeb ignore everything that Kirkman was setting up for Magneto?...Matermind in the Triskelion, Magneto planning something big, Longshot was with him, actually, he had a LOT of mutants with him, not just his brotherhood. (well maybe they scatered and were killed during the attack on the savage land...there were a bunch of mutants fighting alongside Magneto there...okay, we'll give him that one)

i'm sure there's more but i'm tired

Man, I'm going to be banned for this...

I liked it. I found nothing wrong, other than the dialogue in the beginning. Other than that, the art was good and the rest of the story served as an interesting set up for what is to come. Whether this event will actually change the UU (other than the flood destroying NYC), it is definitely prevelant in both this and Ultimate Origin - the titles in the UU or, at least the concentration of effort, is coming back together. I sense uniformity in this, which is a good thing. I can't wait to see where this goes... I'm actually eager to see if Loeb can make you guys eat your words.

I can't wait to see where this goes... I'm actually eager to see if Loeb can make you guys eat your words.

Well, I've been choking on Loeb's, so . . .

What's going to kill this series isn't going to be the story, since I don't think Loeb planned it alone. It's going to be the dialogue and characterizations.

it's hard to tell, nothing really happened
(Well NYC was flooded and a bunch of people died and just about everyone in Latveria except Doom froze to death)

If you're gonna have team covers like that you should put everyone on them

Kitty, MoonKnight, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, and Black Cat should be on the cover with Spidey (whether or not they are in the story)

and Liz, Iceman, Dazzler, and Angel should be on the cover with the X-Men

other questions, don't you think Prof X would be careful enough to NOT send his telepathy to Magneto to let them know they were coming?

were Spidey and Kitty actually flirting? it really seemed like it.

Reed left his dying girlfriend to try and beat up Namor?!? really?!?!

how tall is the L track? because it looked like that tsunami was at least 15 stories high...but the L was apparently above water

Kitty with her phasing abilities and inability to get hurt, and the fact that she can fly decides to stay in the train, and send Pete off to fight a tsunami with his webs and spider-sense?

Tony Stark is telling Cap to not be thinking about another man's wife?

(there are so many more for the ultimates, but they have been ruined, so we'll just leave it alone)

the X-Men are fighting about who blends in better?!? really? again?

How is Doom back?

Why are they letting Loeb ignore everything that Kirkman was setting up for Magneto?...Matermind in the Triskelion, Magneto planning something big, Longshot was with him, actually, he had a LOT of mutants with him, not just his brotherhood. (well maybe they scatered and were killed during the attack on the savage land...there were a bunch of mutants fighting alongside Magneto there...okay, we'll give him that one)

i'm sure there's more but i'm tired

All very good points!

I'VE GOT IT!

Loeb is the Joel Schumaker of comics, trying to ruin another successful franchise.

My issue with this issue:

AGAIN WITH THE ALL CAPS FONT FOR THE LETTERING! ULTIMATE UNIVERSE HAS UPPER AND LOWER CASE!

Another instance where it's like a Joel Schumaker Batman movie - an obvious change in production quality. It continues, though . . .

The art is great but it's splat pages again, like Ultimates 3 but with a better cinematographer and more characters to devote an entire page to.

And Thor is still talking like a retard! What - the man finally realizes his heritage and starts talking like that on a whim?

But the sketch of Thor and Hela for the next issue variant cover was bad a$$.

And Thor is still talking like a retard! What - the man finally realizes his heritage and starts talking like that on a whim?

Pretty much. It was explained that now that Thor proved his God-hood by the end of Ultimates 2, there was no reason for him NOT to talk like that.

Yeah. I'm serious.

Well, I liked Ultimatum 1. But then, I liked Ultimate Origins and Ultimates 3 too. In fact, almost everything under the Ultimate imprint has entertained me. Yeah, that's right; I'm having fun reading my comics. If you're not, maybe you should switch titles and be done with it? Just an idea. :roll:

Latest posts

Back