Universe X Discussion *Spoilers*

I finished this this afternoon.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this isn't as good as Earth X.

Having the Absorbing Man save the world by turning himself into vibranium was brilliant - I actually saw that coming as soon as Loki flew up to talk to him face to face. Brilliant.

Having Thanos actually not only be half Skrull, but actually a noble guy with good intentions because he thought Death was actually his mother - almost as brilliant.

(And Bass - I'm glad to say you were right that the fact taht Thanos killed Death was the least important part of that whole sequence :))

I loved it. 10/10

Ultimate Warrior said:
And think how many years you wasted not reading it because you thought it sucked :lol:

Heh...I don't think it was years. But at one point I had bought Vol. 1, read about 2-3 issues of it, and returned it because it didn't make any sense. :D

Couple questions for Bass or anyone else who can answer them...

- Who was the guy who appeared who kept talking about what an ugly monster he was? I'm talking about the guy who looked like a regular human.

- Why did Silver Surfer and Baby Marv turn ghosty when Creel did? Why did Creel have to be "whole" in order for Surfer to enter the cloak?

For the first question, wasn't that Pope Immortus/Kang? Or was it that guy outside? I don't know - I've forgotten already.

Bass said:
Nope... does he say he's invincible or something?

Metahumans storming London, He's on the top of a big stairwell and shouts "NONE SHALL PASS"...

hehe.

Also, since I wont be getting my hands on Paradise X vol.2 anytime soon, could someone tell me who Daredevil ended up being? Because I still really like my idea of Deadpool... but think i am wrong.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Also, since I wont be getting my hands on Paradise X vol.2 anytime soon, could someone tell me who Daredevil ended up being? Because I still really like my idea of Deadpool... but think i am wrong.

And in the Paradise X thread, please, for those of us who do not want to be spoiled.

E said:
- Who was the guy who appeared who kept talking about what an ugly monster he was? I'm talking about the guy who looked like a regular human.
He was an Deviant with the name Ransak the Reject. Because Deviants has the natural appearance of what we call monsters one that had the appearance of a human was in their eyes ugly or a monster, that's why he keeps referring to himself as one.

Ultimate Warrior said:
He was an Deviant with the name Ransak the Reject. Because Deviants has the natural appearance of what we call monsters one that had the appearance of a human was in their eyes ugly or a monster, that's why he keeps referring to himself as one.

Cool...thanks.

E said:
- Why did Silver Surfer and Baby Marv turn ghosty when Creel did? Why did Creel have to be "whole" in order for Surfer to enter the cloak?

I think it was because the Vision had just turned Creel intangible. And since Creel had just smashed Surfer and Marv with his hand, they got turned intangible too, right at the moment of impact (but before they were smashed into street pizza). But then, by that logic, why didn't the planet go intangible?

Hmmm...

Been a while since I read it, so forgive any lapses in memory.

Now that I think about it. Didn't Spiders-man or someone provide the illusion that Surfer was still alive after Creel smashed Surfer? This gave Marv the time to go down there and ask Surfer to give up his cosmic power into the cloak. So... either Surfer was turned intangible at the same time as Creel, or Vision turned Surfer intangible just before he got hit (but not Creel). In any case, Surfer had to be tangible to enter the cloak, otherwise he passes right through it! (like he did!)

Well, I just finished reading this (yay 50% off trade boxes!)

This is getting hard to read. The narritive structire of a conversation explaining events instead of allowing the reader to experience the events themselves is really starting to grate on me. The actual story however is excellent. It continues many of the themes of Earth X about perfectly, intigrates more of the cosmic parts of the Marvel Universe into the overall tapestry, and showcases a Marvel Villian that I always love apperances by. Thanos.

Now onto Paradise X, wich I've heard is damn wierd...

Baxter said:
This is getting hard to read. The narritive structire of a conversation explaining events instead of allowing the reader to experience the events themselves is really starting to grate on me. The actual story however is excellent. It continues many of the themes of Earth X about perfectly, intigrates more of the cosmic parts of the Marvel Universe into the overall tapestry, and showcases a Marvel Villian that I always love apperances by. Thanos.

I can see how that could be annoying. I didn't mind it though; they can't really reprint entire stories. The recaps are short and to the point while offering a "Universe X" perspective.

Baxter said:
Now onto Paradise X, wich I've heard is damn wierd...

"Weird" wasn't really the word that came to mind when I was reading it. It was a little more out there and harder to follow though.

E said:
I can see how that could be annoying. I didn't mind it though; they can't really reprint entire stories. The recaps are short and to the point while offering a "Universe X" perspective.
I realise this, but damn was it getting annoying twords the end. Hopefuly theres less in Paradise X.

I'll be getting both volumes of this shipped to me in about a week. I'm definately looking forward to revisiting the grand stories involved. Baxter, where did you get 50% off and what do you mean by trade boxes?

sax_russell_the_green said:
I'll be getting both volumes of this shipped to me in about a week. I'm definately looking forward to revisiting the grand stories involved. Baxter, where did you get 50% off and what do you mean by trade boxes?
Wizard World Philly. There was a few dealers with boxes upon boxes of trades for 50% off. I found one with both volumes of Paradise and Universe X. Take that you bastard online dealers charging $80+ for one frigging volume.

I also got Stormbreaker: The Saga of Beta Ray Bill, Rex Mundi V1, Bone The One Volume Edition, and Mage: The Hero Discovered (one volume for the first 15 issue series)

Good haul, I'd say.

You found Paradise X? I hate you so much. :( I had a copy of Paradise Vol. 2 but sold it on eBay with a bunch of other stuff. Been having a hard time finding copies of it and Vol. 1 since they're out of print.

sax_russell_the_green said:
You found Paradise X? I hate you so much. :( I had a copy of Paradise Vol. 2 but sold it on eBay with a bunch of other stuff. Been having a hard time finding copies of it and Vol. 1 since they're out of print.
Yeah, I think I was damn lucky to find it. Especialy since Ice had hit that dealer already and was unhappy that they hadn't had it. :wink:

most of the local comic stores around me have a full set or 2, I was really lucky and managed to pick up the leatherbound b&w earth x, with all the apocrypha, poster cd sketchbook in the back and whatnot. You can usually find em on ebay (they sell for 100) but you can get em for around 50.

Tales of Wonder is selling that HC, and the copies I've seen pop up on eBay can go easily for just under $50. I saw a guy one time selling it with a Buy it Now of 29.95 and almost bought it myself, but have recently purchased the newly printed HC and didn't want to be buying the same thing twice so close together (not when I could start buying the rest of the volumes in the series).

I've checked around and the only two places near me that have Paradise X are two Borders bookstores, each with one volume. I was going to have the Borders closest to me have the books transfered to their store so I could pick them up at one place, but they don't offer that service (Barnes and Noble does, why can't they?), but they can ship the books directly to me from the individual stores, but I would have to pay shipping. Bastards. Now I'm going to have to wait until my next paycheck to order them and hope they're still there.

But in any case, can't wait to see everyone kick *** in the Realm of the Dead one more time!

After reading the two trades again, I really love how epic and brillant this book is.

Bloody brillant. I need to read Paradise X still.

I like Universe X better than Earth X.

Latest posts

Back