Vertigo General Dicussion Thread

You also might like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (I haven't read it though).

I have, and it's fantastically awesome.

I've only read the first trade of DMZ but I did like it.

I have read the first trade of MAdame Xanadu (10 issues for 13 bucks), wirtten by Matt Wagner and art by Amy Reeder Hadley (new artist).

It was an excellent story, which basically chronicles the Vertigo origins of Madame Xanadu, and has Phantom Stranger, Entrigan, and Zatara in it. The stories were well done, and makes one wonder, do you really have a choice?

Give it a shot.

I have read the first trade of MAdame Xanadu (10 issues for 13 bucks), wirtten by Matt Wagner and art by Amy Reeder Hadley (new artist).

It was an excellent story, which basically chronicles the Vertigo origins of Madame Xanadu, and has Phantom Stranger, Entrigan, and Zatara in it. The stories were well done, and makes one wonder, do you really have a choice?

Give it a shot.
I have. It's excellent and Hadley's art is ****ing gorgeous.

Anyone else read the new TPB for The Unknown Soldier. It was quite interesting watching the beginning of the change of a non violent man to a warrior, all because of something. It's got hints of a long, well told story behind it, with drops of story told in the random flashouts he was having.

Yes, I called them flashouts, since his conscious mind decided his rational side couldn't take what was going on anymore, and kicked him out.

I want to start reading Swamp Thing. Recomendations on what to get first? Does Alan Moore's run act as a conclusive "saga" in its own right?

Yes.

Saga of the Swamp Thing, #21-27
Love and Death, #28-34 & Annual 2
The Curse, #35-42
A Murder of Crows, #43-50
Earth to Earth, #51-56
Reunion, #57-64

I read some of Veitch's run after Moore and I think it stands up.

Because of something that happened in Moores run, the birth of a new swamp thing is triggered. It also ties in with early issues of Hellblazer. But the end of his run is nowhere near as wrapped up as Moores is. I think he actually got edited off and someone else finished his final story (involving time travel).

How do people rate Morrison/millar or BKV or Diggle runs. I'm interested in reading those at some point.

I read some of Veitch's run after Moore and I think it stands up.

Because of something that happened in Moores run, the birth of a new swamp thing is triggered. It also ties in with early issues of Hellblazer. But the end of his run is nowhere near as wrapped up as Moores is. I think he actually got edited off and someone else finished his final story (involving time travel).

How do people rate Morrison/millar or BKV or Diggle runs. I'm interested in reading those at some point.

I haven't read any of those but I've heard that Millar's run is really good and BKV's is terrible. Not sure about Diggle's.

it sounds like everyone (including Millar) got fed up with his run. The BKV one is about Tefe, which i'd probably be more interested in storywise after reading however many issues of normal swampthing.

It'd also be quite nice now that I've read all about her origins in the Veitch run to see what she's like grown up. but she doesn't seem to have any terrific stories written about her, not if the BKV one isn't good.

I have started the weird ride that is Unwritten. The first trade is only ten bucks (I got it for cheaper, Yay being a Barnes and Noble member) for five issues. Not as good as the deal was with Madame Xanadu, but still good.

I have only read the first issue, but it seems that I'm in for an awesome ride.

I just finished reading Unknown Solider.

I love it so much.

Unwritten is good but I stopped reading halfway thru the first arc. I went to the htmlcomic site to see if they have it........AND THE SITE IS DOWN DUE TO MAINTENANCE! ARRRRRGH!

I haven't read any of those but I've heard that Millar's run is really good and BKV's is terrible. Not sure about Diggle's.

Basicaly. Diggles was quite good and best read straight from Millars. BKV's run doesn't really fit with Millar or Diggles. BKV did have an excellent John Constantine focused issue in it, and the final issue seemed to give the series a purpose, which it seriously lacked through its run. I'd definatly call it a skip tho. two bright spots in almost twenty issues isn't worth it.

Dysart's run was a mixed bad. His Arcane story was awesome and reconciled the various portrayals of Anton over the years and the shrunken Swamp Thing issue was great but the rest... not so much. The main problem with it was that it had the Holland-Mind separated from Swamp Thing, so we pretty much just had a big bunch of moss wondering around with a little Jellyfish like thing that was the Holland-mind trying to help him every so often. It didn't work for me.

it sounds like everyone (including Millar) got fed up with his run.

You know, I think the main problem with Millars run was pacing. He had a truly epic scoped story planned out and I just don't think that he had the chops as a writer to pull it off yet. The fist arc (co-written by Morrison) was good, but then he felt like he needed to go on an exploration of who Swamp Thing was, then he had the intial Tiral of Stone arc which was solid, but after that we had River Run which was an overly long mess, then what seemed to be a throw away arc, and after that we practically skip to the end. And it was an excellent end, but some parts that I was really looking forward to were just dropped or glazed over. After the time that was given to the Parliaments of Stone and Waves I was pretty annoyed.

Arcane was awesome in the end tho. And so was Woodrue.

Despite my griped up there I think his run is worth reading. It expands the universe of Swamp Thing in an extremely organic way and could easily be used as the end of the character, or at least the end of Alec Holland. DC probably should have left him in his final state and given us the next Plant Elemental the next time they wanted to use the property instead of contiuniously trying to revive/depower Alec as they have. Moore set the stage for a cycling of Avatars and they've barely touched on that outside of Tefe who is played mostly as an antagonist in the series.

Can you tell I like me some Swamp Thing?

I'm getting bored with The Unwritten. I liked it a lot when it first started and I find the idea intriguing but I don't really care about any of the characters at the moment. This happens to me with every Mike Carey comic.

Basicaly. Diggles was quite good and best read straight from Millars. BKV's run doesn't really fit with Millar or Diggles. BKV did have an excellent John Constantine focused issue in it, and the final issue seemed to give the series a purpose, which it seriously lacked through its run. I'd definatly call it a skip tho. two bright spots in almost twenty issues isn't worth it.

Dysart's run was a mixed bad. His Arcane story was awesome and reconciled the various portrayals of Anton over the years and the shrunken Swamp Thing issue was great but the rest... not so much. The main problem with it was that it had the Holland-Mind separated from Swamp Thing, so we pretty much just had a big bunch of moss wondering around with a little Jellyfish like thing that was the Holland-mind trying to help him every so often. It didn't work for me.

You know, I think the main problem with Millars run was pacing. He had a truly epic scoped story planned out and I just don't think that he had the chops as a writer to pull it off yet. The fist arc (co-written by Morrison) was good, but then he felt like he needed to go on an exploration of who Swamp Thing was, then he had the intial Tiral of Stone arc which was solid, but after that we had River Run which was an overly long mess, then what seemed to be a throw away arc, and after that we practically skip to the end. And it was an excellent end, but some parts that I was really looking forward to were just dropped or glazed over. After the time that was given to the Parliaments of Stone and Waves I was pretty annoyed.

Arcane was awesome in the end tho. And so was Woodrue.

Despite my griped up there I think his run is worth reading. It expands the universe of Swamp Thing in an extremely organic way and could easily be used as the end of the character, or at least the end of Alec Holland. DC probably should have left him in his final state and given us the next Plant Elemental the next time they wanted to use the property instead of contiuniously trying to revive/depower Alec as they have. Moore set the stage for a cycling of Avatars and they've barely touched on that outside of Tefe who is played mostly as an antagonist in the series.

Can you tell I like me some Swamp Thing?

Ok thanks for that, you've sold me on millars run. i think I had read the first arc - bad gumbo before, but wasn't crazy about it enough to carry on reading (oh ok i only wanted to read it for the morrison).

I'll probably read Diggle some time after i get round to that. I loved Adam Strange and he really wrote that pretty gritty for a superhero comic - at least the first issue was set well. I've got the losers ready to read and I'll want to check his Hellblazer and green arrow too if I enjoy all that.

Speaking of Hellblazer, does John feature much in Millar's run? or diggles for that matter?

Ok thanks for that, you've sold me on millars run. i think I had read the first arc - bad gumbo before, but wasn't crazy about it enough to carry on reading (oh ok i only wanted to read it for the morrison).

I'll probably read Diggle some time after i get round to that. I loved Adam Strange and he really wrote that pretty gritty for a superhero comic - at least the first issue was set well. I've got the losers ready to read and I'll want to check his Hellblazer and green arrow too if I enjoy all that.

Speaking of Hellblazer, does John feature much in Millar's run? or diggles for that matter?

He shows up at the end of Millars run, but then everyone shows up at the end.

As for Diggle, sadly its only a six issue stint but john plays a big role in the six issues. Swamp Thing: Bad Seed. Probably dirt cheap used in the UC store.

Fairly on topic here, I've been trying to find Mike Carrys run on Hellblazer and I've been having a hell of a time getting the middle volumes at a reasonable price. Like anywhere near cover. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Latest posts

Back