Watchmen film discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Watchmen?

• Total voters
One of my cousin's first comments upon leaving the theater: "I just feel bad for Dr. Manhattan because no matter what he does he's always got blue balls."

I realize I am in the minority here, but I thought the actress playing Silk Specter was very good. I think she had terrific chemistry with Nite Owl (sorry, just not up on all the actors' names!), and for me, she totally "sold" the idea that she sensed how important the "superhero" thing was for him. She is really taking a beating in many circles, and I just can't see it. But hey, to each his or her own!
I agree. The problem is though that I'm afraid it wasn't her acting but just her presence in general. Her chemistry with Nite-Owl is what made both characters work. She was young and naive but I, honestly, don't think it was her acting that made that so...

I saw the movie last Friday, and it STILL continues to come to mind often. I am looking forward to seeing it again... it really surprised me. The only part I have SOME misgivings about is the altered ending. I realize that has been discussed in HUGE depth here and elsewhere, and it wasn't a showstopper for me. While I don't find the "framing Manhattan" plan to be as convincing as a world rallying point as the threat of an interdimensional/outer space race or monster, I think I would have been much happier, even with that change, if Manhattan had delivered the "nothing ends" line to Veidt, and if Veidt had reacted as he did in the comic book series.
Real pissed the Veidt/Manhattan interaction didn't happen.

AND...I continue to wonder why, in a movie that certainly wasn't shy about showing how ugly violence is, the aftermath of the attack on NYC was so "clean". It certainly wasn't in the comic book, and I think that really forced the reader to contemplate, in a very real way, exactly what Veidt's plan "cost". In the movie, I found the NYC scene strangely antiseptic and unreal. It was just too clean, too neat...yes, lots of rubble, etc, but it just didn't have the "oomph" of the book. I really wonder if they consciously wanted to avoid any 9/11-like imagery.
Me and my buddy were talking about it tonight... they should've put the dead corpses in.

But overall, I was genuinely "WOW"-ed. I found the movie to be surprisingly powerful, surprisingly thought-provoking (and I mention the surprise factor mainly because I have read WATCHMEN many times, so I had no expectation of BEING surprised by what I saw on screen).

And yeah, Rorschach just ruled...

Shadow
What you said.

Still haven't seen this, because of how busy I am with college, how broke I am and how a lot of my friends have already seen it. I hope to go tomorrow though and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I realize I am in the minority here, but I thought the actress playing Silk Specter was very good. I think she had terrific chemistry with Nite Owl (sorry, just not up on all the actors' names!), and for me, she totally "sold" the idea that she sensed how important the "superhero" thing was for him. She is really taking a beating in many circles, and I just can't see it. But hey, to each his or her own!

I am in complete agreement with you. I though the actress did a phenomenal job as Laurie. What else could you have wanted out of her?

I am in complete agreement with you. I though the actress did a phenomenal job as Laurie. What else could you have wanted out of her?

I think calling it a phenomenal job is overstating it but I thought she was great, too.

I brought my brother to my LCBS today because he wanted to buy the Comedian and Dr. Manhattan. The figures are great and they had previously been priced at €13.99, so my brother brought €30.

Two things that disappointed us:

1. The figures had gone up in price to €17.99, so he could only get one.

2. In spite of the extra legs the good doctor comes with, his willy still isn't visible. :(

On the upside though, the Doc Manhattan figure was the kickass variant, which meant that instead of looking like a Lou Ferigno paint-job, he actually looks like a glowing omnipotent being.

Based upon the second weekend box office numbers it looks like this movie is going to be a box office disappointment. Oh well.

Based upon the second weekend box office numbers it looks like this movie is going to be a box office disappointment. Oh well.

I think a lot of people assumed so.

If you figure 90% of the ticketholders from opening weekend were comic fans and take into consideration of the mixed reviews...over the next 2 weeks, 70% of it's income will be comic fans seeing it again. I know the studios were hoping to score big at the box office....but I knew the bulk of the money would come from the international market and DVD sales.

I figured this would be one of those future cult-classic films for fanboys much like Darkman.

I think a lot of people assumed so.

If you figure 90% of the ticketholders from opening weekend were comic fans and take into consideration of the mixed reviews...over the next 2 weeks, 70% of it's income will be comic fans seeing it again. I know the studios were hoping to score big at the box office....but I knew the bulk of the money would come from the international market and DVD sales.

I figured this would be one of those future cult-classic films for fanboys much like Darkman.

Very ture. How this does internationally will be interesting. I know this question has been posed before but does anyone else think that this should have been split up into two movies?

Very ture. How this does internationally will be interesting. I know this question has been posed before but does anyone else think that this should have been split up into two movies?

I don't think so.

I know a couple people think the films should have been split into 2 films such as Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions and Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2. But the difference between those long films and this long film is the fact that, although they seem to be 1 large story encompassing 2 films....they're 2 different films with 2 different tones (respectively).

If you look at their stories, there's a distinct break in the tone and style of the film. So it would make sense to break them up as such. But Watchmen is one solid story. Where would you break it up? Why?

You could do one film containing all the characters' origins and another film with just the current plot. But then it wouldn't be Watchmen and it wouldn't have the same impact.

I don't think so.

I know a couple people think the films should have been split into 2 films such as Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions and Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2. But the difference between those long films and this long film is the fact that, although they seem to be 1 large story encompassing 2 films....they're 2 different films with 2 different tones (respectively).

If you look at their stories, there's a distinct break in the tone and style of the film. So it would make sense to break them up as such. But Watchmen is one solid story. Where would you break it up? Why?

You could do one film containing all the characters' origins and another film with just the current plot. But then it wouldn't be Watchmen and it wouldn't have the same impact.

I think it would still work, end the first film at the scene where Roschach and Nite-Owl are rumaging through Veidt's office, where it becomes apparent their is much more to this than a simple murder mystery. and have the rest o the movie be the second film but expanded upon, those two sections of the book and movie do have a large shift in tone, crime noir story, to grand conspiracy, one part is more action oriented one is more cerebral. it would definitley work.

Latest posts

Back