Watchmen film discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Watchmen?

• Total voters
Bingo. One of my other gripes about the film. When you read the book, you can't help but feel like "the world is really going down and probably coming to an end". Here...not so much.
A lot of that, in the book, was elevated by the stories surrounding the civilians and all of those parts were cut out (hopefully not neglected). So I'm hoping the tone will get darker later.

THAT'S IT!

That is what I kept finding "off" about her. She wasn't horrible, but I knew there was something about her that just said "wrong"...but I couldn't put my finger on it.

That is it. She was always smiling and seemed just too happy.

It didn't help that she didn't smoke in the movie either. Her smoking is sort of essential to the character, imo.

If it is an R rated movie they should allow to smoking in it.

CURSE YOU ROB REINER!!! :twisted:

A lot of that, in the book, was elevated by the stories surrounding the civilians and all of those parts were cut out (hopefully not neglected). So I'm hoping the tone will get darker later.

Exactly! And not only do you lose the feeling that the world is going to end, but more importantly, you never get the feeling that the world NEEDS to end.

All those side stories show how broken and dark society is becoming.

I just got my copy of "Tales of the Black Freighter". I haven't watched it yet, but I am more excited for "Under the Hood". I've heard nothing but good things, and apparently it fits into continuity with the film. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow when I get around to it.

I'm looking forward to the Director's Extended Cut so I can see how he's gonna fit Tales of the Black Freighter in the film.

I just got my copy of "Tales of the Black Freighter". I haven't watched it yet, but I am more excited for "Under the Hood". I've heard nothing but good things, and apparently it fits into continuity with the film. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow when I get around to it.

I'm so much more excited about 'Under the Hood' that I really don't understand why it's only being billed as an extra part of Freighter when it really warrants its own release. Personally, I have no real interest in the Freighter film and I only want to watch Under the Hood.

I'm just hoping they use Silhouette a bit in Under the Hood. It kinda cracked me up that on After Ellen and a few other lesbian sites were all excited that there was going to be a lesbian couple in Watchmen, and a lesbian actress. I didn't have the heart to bring up the fact that they're killed in a hate crime.

I think the movie was fine. It wasn't as good as others have put it. I'm not really disappointed as I still liked it, but I say it's more average I suppose?

I did hate lot of the music used that just shouldn't have been in it.

So I say 3/5 is fair.

oops, forgot to vote. I wish I could say I was disappointed, but it was as good as I'd expected (3/5)

I hear a fair amount of comments suggesting that some folks didn't care for the soundtrack - which kinda throws me. If you are one of those folks, are to elaborate?

I grant..the "HALLELUJAH" during the NiteOwl/Specter...er...tryst... was a bit much. Or, at least, a bit silly - which MAY have been the intent. But apart from that, what made the music choices all that noteable? Problematic?

I think, over time, my only real issues have coalesced to...

(1) The devastation of NYC should have been much more horrifying, nasty and graphic. And no, not a gore monger here. Just saying that the book really hammers home the true horrible COST of Ozy's "peace" (and remember, in the movie the death toll, world wide, is even higher!). IT does that not just by making the NYC death scene pretty horrific, but by having a number of the casualties be characters we have come to know and care about over the course of the series. By sanitizing the destruction - and odd choice in a movie that certainly had its share of graphic violence - I think they also, to some extent, sanitized the moral issues involved.

(2) I really feel that they made a mistake in not having the Dr Manhattan/Ozy conversation from the book, at the end. It isn't JUST the power of Dr Manhattan saying "Nothing ever ends...", with all that suggests, but it is the ONE time we see Ozy express genuine doubt over what he has done, and his expression after Dr M delivers his cryptic line, and vanishes, really really SELLS the moment in a big way.

That being said... still loved it. A solid A for me. It isn't for everybody, and it doesn't try to be. It most definitely is not a typical Hollywood sell out. It swung for the fences and - in my opinion - showed a genuine deep affection and respect for the source material. I couldn't ask for much more than that!

Shadow

PS - The opening montage is simply amazing!
PPS - Ditto for Rorschach, of course, But you know what? I think that Dan/Nite Owl is a real surprise. His performance, his chemistry with the other characters, and yeah, with Specter, really brought the film together.

I have no immeadiate plans to see this. I just couldn't get excited over it for some reason.

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone read the newspaper comics?

Because there was a Sally Forth strip where the entire family sans Sally wants to see Watchmen.

Is anyone else creeped out by this?

I didn't watch "Under the Hood" yet but I watched Black Freighter last night. Overall I guess it was good but I was pretty disappointed with it. I think mainly because it wasn't complimented or complimenting what was going on in The Watchmen story. I was really expecting to see the vendor and the kid somewhere in here. Do you think it wouldn't have worked with them cutting in throughout or at least being an introduction/ending to the story?

I didn't watch "Under the Hood" yet but I watched Black Freighter last night. Overall I guess it was good but I was pretty disappointed with it. I think mainly because it wasn't complimented or complimenting what was going on in The Watchmen story. I was really expecting to see the vendor and the kid somewhere in here. Do you think it wouldn't have worked with them cutting in throughout or at least being an introduction/ending to the story?

I haven't seen it but I'm half and half on the concept. But having them as an intro/ending would be cool. I think it will all be added in the special edition

I hear a fair amount of comments suggesting that some folks didn't care for the soundtrack - which kinda throws me. If you are one of those folks, are to elaborate?

I grant..the "HALLELUJAH" during the NiteOwl/Specter...er...tryst... was a bit much. Or, at least, a bit silly - which MAY have been the intent. But apart from that, what made the music choices all that noteable? Problematic?

For me, the problem with the music was that there is a soundtrack to the film and not just a score. To me, Watchmen is a film were only a score is needed. The soundtrack, while smartly compiled and very appropriate songs for the era, just didn't fit with the film.

I don't wanna hear Jimi Hendrix as Owl/'Schach approach Karnak. I want an ominous impending doom-like score. It's just that the soundtrack places you in the era......but takes you outta the film.

Maybe a song in the background on a cab radio as Owl/Specter walk down the street or something is fine....but other than something like that....I don't think a soundtrack was appropriate for a film like this.

I don't really understand the point of this Black Freighter DVD since it doesn't seem like it would be relevant without the context of the overall story and they removed the island storyline from the movie anyway. :?

I don't really understand the point of this Black Freighter DVD since it doesn't seem like it would be relevant without the context of the overall story and they removed the island storyline from the movie anyway. :?

My biggest complaint about the project itself.

Not that they did it. But that they released it on its own without the relative context.

How long is the UNDER THE HOOD "featurette"?

I ask because I can't see myself watching BLACK FREIGHTER more than once, if that - not a knock on it per se, and it worked fine as a part of the WATCHMEN story, but on its own, just not "my thing".

I have heard great things about HOOD, but trying to decide if it, on its own, merits buying the DVD.

Thoughts?

Shadow

Latest posts

Back