Watchmen film discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Watchmen?

• Total voters
I think it is saying something that I am going to go see the movie with a friend tonight, despite the fact that I am absolutley baffled of my feeling about the movie.

Work of genius?

POS?

A flawed work with separated moments of wonder and amazement?

#1 example of why you can't copy a TPB 100% when adapting it to film?

I just can't decide. :/

EDIT: Forget about Ebert, this is the best Watchmen review out there. http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2009/03/the_watchmen_li.html

Debbie Schlussel is a complete and total fruit cake nut job, but she is right about taking kids to see it. No, it's not NC-17, but it is R and therefore inappropriate for kids.

But she has several points about the movie wrong.

Superhero "The Comedian" (a bad Robert Downey, Jr. look-alike) brutally beating and raping another superhero--tis movie concludes that the rape was a good thing b/c the slutty superhero had a slutty superhero daughter from him

It was very clear that SS did not become pregnant from the rape. I mean, seriously.

Superhero "The Comedian" shooting and killing a Vietnamese woman because she's pregnant with his kid

No, he did it because he is insane and she cut his face.

Two superheroes have an explicit sex scene in a spaceship

It's not a spaceship. :D

A man with vat of hot french fry oil deliberately thrown over his head--we literally see him fry, and he ultimately dies, we're told

Huh? You SEE him die.

It was very clear that SS did not become pregnant from the rape. I mean, seriously.

Yeah, Laurie was born from their second sexual encounter, which was consentual.

I think they did a good job with the Comedian. Like in the comic, there are parts where you almost sort of agree with some of his thinking; when he and Nite Owl arrive in the middle of the city to stop the rioting, and Comedian starts to just drop people, and Nite Owl asks him what the hell he's doing and from whom they're really protecting the people, and Comedian tells him that they're saving the people from themselves, you at least acknowledge Comedian's view with Nite Owl. Same thing with the pregnant woman scarring Comedian's face and Doc Manhattan just standing back and letting Comedian kill her. Or during the Crimebusters' first meeting when Comedian is criticizing Ozymandias. Whether or not Comedian is wrong, you still somewhat empathize with him, er....consider his side of the argument. Not that you become a full-blown nihilist.

Last edited:
Best comic book movie ever. ....Hands and Knees kissing Zack Snyder's feet... I don't get what some of you guys are all pissed about. Granted that some of the things didn't make sense but I cannot wait for the Ultimate Edition.

How can you say it's the best comic book movie ever, and than say some of the movie doesn't make sense in the same statement?

How can you say it's the best comic book movie ever, and than say some of the movie doesn't make sense in the same statement?

I think you can say that a movie is good (maybe even the best in a genre in this instance) and still acknowledge that the film isn't perfect. There is no way that this movie could be perfect, because all of that is based upon personal preferences. There are as many people pissed that the movie makes minor changes to the source material as there are people pissed that the film stays too close to the original GN. It was almost a great movie in my opinion. My biggest problem with the movie is that with a few changes to the film it could have been great. As good as TDK was, there are problems in that movie too. For instance the plot can pretty much be summed up in "The Joker f***s s**t up". But i digress...

So i should totally check it out?

Last edited:
So i should totally check it out?

I presume you are talking about the comic because you've already voted for the movie... yes. Yes, you should. Everyone should. It reinvented the superhero genre.

I'm typing up a review of the film on Word and will post it later. I'm gonna have to go back and edit it though because Bass said a lot of what I was thinking.

I think the best way I can sum it up is as follows:

Watchmen The Movie is to Watchmen The Comic as Curb Your Enthusiasm is to Seinfeld.

Think about it.....

Watchmen instigated a transition from the silver age to the bronze age, nearly single-handedly. How can you say that isn't change on the industry.

Debbie Schlussel is a complete and total fruit cake nut job, but she is right about taking kids to see it. No, it's not NC-17, but it is R and therefore inappropriate for kids.

Did you read the eye gouging comments?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back