Weight Loss and Working Out

Joe Kalicki

So, I finally got off my fat *** and started going to the gym yesterday. I signed up for a membership like a week ago and just now started going. That is unacceptable. So, I found out I weigh 255 pounds. 255! How does that happen? By sitting around all day doing nothing for a year and a half, that's how.

So, I went yesterday and did about 20 minutes on an eliptical and then, like, 10 minutes on weights. I did the same thing today, only I did it later, after I ate, so it felt like I was accomplishing more. I don't work tomorrow so I'll probably do an hour there then. Then I'm thinking two thirty-minute sessions a day (one before work, one after), since I really like the short, get-in get-out of it.

I also need to start eating better immediately. I started doing a little better a few weeks ago, bringing applesauce to work to eat instead of pop tarts, etc. I also drink water about 90% of the time. Of course, the other 10% is beer, so. . . yeah.

My goal is to get to 220 by the end of the year, which is like the perfect weight for me.

Anyone else trying to get in shape or tone up or whatever? I know DSF was saying he was having a lot of success with his diet.

Last edited:
I'm in good shape now(very thin but good muscle tone, and I try to do at least 20 chinups a night), but one of my goals for my 8 school-free months that start in January is to figure out an excercise plan and get reasonably jacked.

My friend and I just started a workout program 2 weeks ago. We've both had trouble getting motivated to go to the gym in the past, but this works because I drag him to the gym when he doesn't want to go and vice versa. It also works beacuse the school Rec. Center (Gym) is full of good looking women making sure they continue to look good. GREAT motivation. I actually don't know what I weigh right now, but I worked my *** off at the gym yesterday and was ridiculously sore all day today. Seriously, going up and down stairs was torture. But good torture... I guess. It felt good because I haven't worked out that hard in years. We try to go 3 or 4 times a week.

My weight and body frame flucuated heavily before WW Philly. It was all outta wack.

But I've been working out steadily for a few months now and I'm definitely noticing a difference.

I'm using the same workout plan Thomas Jane used for The Punisher. It's been kicking my ***. Pretty soon I'll be looking to switch routines and I'm eyeing Will Smith's plan for Ali.

I need to lose weight.

Hopefully I will be lighter by this time next year.

If only losing weight was as easy as gaining it.

I started trying to get back into shape again, it's been a few years since I really cared but considering clothes were starting not to fit I felt it was time. Checked my weight a few months back and I was at 243 pounds which is the heaviest I've been since my sophomore year in high school. Of course, I was playing sports then and hitting the weights pretty religiously. This time around, I gave myself a little leeway because I just gave up smoking cigarettes after 13 years back in July. Finally. For good. Haven't smoked since.

Got back into the gym about a month ago and I'm down to about 230 lbs. now which is good. My jeans are loosening up and I don't feel so weighted down. Most people are honestly surprised when they find out I'm even that heavy though. They expect someone 5'10" and 230-240 lbs. to be a little rounder... luckily I've always had good muscle mass and a large frame. Normally my workout consists of 45-90 min. on the elliptical on the "weight loss" or "fat burn" programs (up and down with resistance and crossramps... hell of a good workout) and then I'll do the circuit, working to failure on each machine (3-4 times per week so I don't thrash anything). I haven't started doing ball crunches (sounds bad) again or anything, but I'm looking at getting around to that and the awesome rowing machines they have soon.

If I can just chisel down to 205-200 I'll be fine. I haven't weighed 190 or less since I was 13 years old. Once I reach my goal I'm definitely getting back into Krav Maga and Jeet Kune Do (if I can find schools nearby). Martial arts always helped me keep myself in shape.

Last edited:
I used to be about 245lbs. I was a very sedintary person, ate nothing but junk food, and drank nothing but soda. Honestly, all I did was switched to diet soda, and quit eating **** like Oreos (which I used to live on) and started running cross country again (about 3-5k a day), and doing *coughexoticdancingcough*.

In about 18 months i dropped 100lbs.

I used to be about 245lbs. I was a very sedintary person, ate nothing but junk food, and drank nothing but soda. Honestly, all I did was switched to diet soda, and quit eating **** like Oreos (which I used to live on) and started running cross country again (about 3-5k a day), and doing *coughexoticdancingcough*.

Holy crap.

I need a pole.

Me and my friend try to stick to the workouts on www.gymjones.com, whatever equipment that is unavailable we just substitute with weights. Plus, I'm doing Lacrosse three times a week so that helps.

Right now I'd guess I'm about 200 pounds, so I'm really trying lean up,and get some smaller hips.

My friend and I just started a workout program 2 weeks ago. We've both had trouble getting motivated to go to the gym in the past, but this works because I drag him to the gym when he doesn't want to go and vice versa. It also works beacuse the school Rec. Center (Gym) is full of good looking women making sure they continue to look good. GREAT motivation. I actually don't know what I weigh right now, but I worked my *** off at the gym yesterday and was ridiculously sore all day today. Seriously, going up and down stairs was torture. But good torture... I guess. It felt good because I haven't worked out that hard in years. We try to go 3 or 4 times a week.

Me and my friend are the same way with the motivation. I love the Rec Center with all teh gurlz elipisizing, jogging, etc.

I'm looking at getting around to that and the awesome rowing machines they have soon.

Rowing is awesome, there's not much it doesn't work.

That is awesome! But ugh, I can't run cross country, sprinter all the way.

Holy crap.

I need a pole.

That's what she said.

I always tell myself I'm going to work out a little but, do some push ups or whatever but I never do. My weight has reach an equilibrium, I'm not fat, not skinny either and I never need to watch what I eat. I pretty much stay the same no matter what

im not sure what i wiegh (something around the high 190's low 200's), but i think i should start working out aswell, i used to be in great shape when i worked at my last job (gas station/U-Haul/Autoshop/carwash) but now i work at a Squash/Racquetball center in my community, i don't do anything there and now i'm out of shape.

this is ironic because my new work has a fitness center in it aswell.

Last edited:
I've basically spent my life staying in good shape, but have recently been pulled out of Martial Arts and now have little motivation to work out the way I used to. If I don't start again, I'm definitely going to be putting on some weight...

I'm glad Joe made this poll, because I wanted to see if anyone else here does any running.

I need to take up running. I think it would help with stamina and I think it would just help me feel better.

I have mild exercise-induced asthma but nothing that would keep me from running.

I have no idea how to start as far as pace or distance. I don't want to end up running cross-country like Forest Gump.

Wow. Good for you.
Holy crap.

I need a pole.
My thoughts exactly.
Me and my friend are the same way with the motivation. I love the Rec Center with all teh gurlz elipisizing, jogging, etc.
Indubitably.

My weight and body frame flucuated heavily before WW Philly. It was all outta wack.

But I've been working out steadily for a few months now and I'm definitely noticing a difference.

I'm using the same workout plan Thomas Jane used for The Punisher. It's been kicking my ***. Pretty soon I'll be looking to switch routines and I'm eyeing Will Smith's plan for Ali.

Can you send me the thomas jane workout or give a link?

I need to lose weight.

Hopefully I will be lighter by this time next year.

Your face is lighter.

Holy crap.

I need a pole.

Your face is a pole. wait...didn't think that one through.

I have a gut cause I'm so overstuffed with greatness.

It's overflowing.

You overflow with stuff crust pizza. i found my wedding fountain.

I've basically spent my life staying in good shape, but have recently been pulled out of Martial Arts and now have little motivation to work out the way I used to. If I don't start again, I'm definitely going to be putting on some weight...

Sell your hair so you can pay for classes. I'm giving mine away to that locks program where they give it to kids with cancer and stuff.

You live near Columbus, right? Can you reccomend any clubs in the Ohio Valley region? A buddys got a birthday coming up and the normal West Virgina clubs have really gone down hill lately.

I'm glad Joe made this poll, because I wanted to see if anyone else here does any running.

I need to take up running. I think it would help with stamina and I think it would just help me feel better.

I have mild exercise-induced asthma but nothing that would keep me from running.

I have no idea how to start as far as pace or distance. I don't want to end up running cross-country like Forest Gump.

I used to run about 3 miles a day. Now it's about half a mile, maybe, if I feel like it. I have really terrible asthma, though, but thanks to the miracle that is the inhaler, I manage to run (and look like a geeky *******) whenever I please.

Sell your hair so you can pay for classes. I'm giving mine away to that locks program where they give it to kids with cancer and stuff.

I don't know why people keep brining up my hair. I find that it is very average and uniteresting. But when it was really long about two years ago, I shaved it (for shock value) and had it donated to the poor cancer kids.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back