What Do you Read

A writer should constantly be reinventing himself.

Any artist should.

That's all.

Eh, you're right to a degree. But then again, I'm also a supporter of sticking with what works. Its a bit self-important and self-obsessive to think (or constantly attempt) to reinvent yourself. Hone your skills (whatever they might be), but don't completely revise them, you know?

You're still right, I don't even know why I'm rambling.

Eh, you're right to a degree. But then again, I'm also a supporter of sticking with what works. Its a bit self-important and self-obsessive to think (or constantly attempt) to reinvent yourself. Hone your skills (whatever they might be), but don't completely revise them, you know?
You just made the David Bowie cry.

You're still right, I don't even know why I'm rambling.

I'll tell you a secret. Being an artist means constantly being self-important and self-obsessive. Going through all the labors of getting your stuff out there because you feel people have to see/read/hear/think what you say is about as self-important as it gets.

ourchair said:
You just made the David Bowie cry.

and when Bowie cries, the world cries.

Bowie's Area haunts my dreams at night.

So I stole Atlas Shrugged and a Harlan Ellison short story collection from a friend of mine yesterday. I read a few of the short stories last night. They were wonderfully written but didn't make any god damned sense.

I'm reading the Mercedes Thompson Trilogy by Patrica Briggs, and the Rfitwar saga by Raymond Feist. Alternating between the two series.

I'll post thoughts when I finish a bit more of them.

I think Seldes would like the Mercedes Thompson trilogy. It concerns werewolves and other supernatural creatures, but conveys them in a shadowy light. There's no clear cut good guy or bad guy.

Last edited:
I'm actually re-reading through Star wars : Labyrinth of Evil at the moment. I just randomly decided to read through one of my star wars books (I have every one except newest) Anyone here not read this? If not then go pick it up. Seriously it awesome and with clone wars coming out tomorrow and the time this set, it's a great read

I picked up a bundle of bargain books the other day at Half-Price Books... awesome store... all of them are about Serial Killers. I've been watching a lot of A&E lately so this was a great sale for me... First 48 and Cold Case files are cool shows and they tend to rekindle my interest in what it takes to catch a killer (my dream job when I was younger was to be either a forensic pathologist or an FBI profiler).

True Crime books keep me occupied when none of my favorite authors have anything new out or when nobody is giving me a bead on some new writer I might enjoy.

Speaking of which... anyone have any suggestions? I'll be done with this stack of books by next Friday.

I'm rereading a lot of the classics, mostly Verne and Wells. I was inspired after reading the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the first time.

I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy after putting it off for a week or two. Surprisingly good and quite chilling once I got into it. Anansi Boys next.

I have been reading The Corrections by Jonathan Frazen, and it is really well-written, though it always grates on me when people from the coast write midwesterners.

I knew I was in trouble on this vacation when I looked in my suitcase and realized I had packed more books than clothes. :oops:

On the train trip out to Montana, I finished Stephanie Meyer's Breaking Dawn, which was... all right. I will happily donate my copy to the library collection when I get home.

Now I'm re-reading The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes, which is a Star Wars novel set during the Clone Wars. I remember having read it when it first came out and liking it, but was a little fuzzy on the details. Now I remember exactly why I liked it -- Anakin Skywalker spent the entire novel at the Jedi Temple, completely out of sight, and we got to watch Jedi Master Kit Fisto in action instead. Ah, bliss.... :D

Latest posts

Back