Who should get the 5th Ultimate Ongoing Series? (Multiple Choice)

Who should get the 5th Ultimate Ongoing?

• Total voters
TheManWithoutFear said:
Yeah, I just wonder what finally gave Banner control. Will it be just Xavier's sessions or has he met someone else helping him cope.
The guy was working 18 hours a day trying to find a scientific solution to his problem. He's not in a lab anymore, but he's still a genius. It was clear from the eulogy that he does have some spiritual beliefs so without the crutch of science he would perhaps turn to that as inspiration.

Guijllons said:
The guy was working 18 hours a day trying to find a scientific solution to his problem. He's not in a lab anymore, but he's still a genius. It was clear from the eulogy that he does have some spiritual beliefs so without the crutch of science he would perhaps turn to that as inspiration.

Good point.

ourchair said:
As I've established before, each title represents a different cornerstone in rounding out the universe:
  1. Ultimate Spider-Man - A teen drama about a boy growing up to be a man in a big world of superhuman craziness.
  2. Ultimate X-Men - Sociopolitical examination of superhuman's place in the world and his relationship to established human society
  3. The Ultimates - Geopolitical look at superhumans as the new military asset and their place in international relations.
  4. Ultimate Fantastic Four - Sci-fi adventure comedy exploring the frontier edges of the ever-changing world of superscience and big ticket imagineering.

With that in mind, I put in a good word for Dr. Strange simply because its a good opportunity to for a consciousness-expanding look at the inter-related aspects of spirituality, occult, the supernatural, the paranormal and the inexplicable.

Whereas UXM, UFF and the Ultimates ask the question of how big things in superhuman-touched society can change everything on a wide-scale level, a title like Ultimate Strange would ask about how the same things affect the intimate aspects of our lives, just as USM asks about an individual's place in society.

Think about it: USM is mostly about Peter's supporting cast dealing with intense change wrought about by their encounters with superhumans. Ultimate Strange would look at why we believe in the things we do in the face of various circumstances, superhuman or otherwise and how we explain the inexplicable.

There's more to be said about that, but I have work to do.

I don't know, a lot of people would believe Dr. Strange, who is a wizard would ruin the tone of the realstic tone of the Ultimate Universe. I think Ultimate Daredevil would work best as 5th tilte because it be more down to earth compared to the other titles. UDD would give UU an urban crime title that has been missing.

Plus while only a few of UDD's foes would be superhuman (Bushwacker, Purple Man, Mr. Hyde, Death-Stalker) it would allows to see how these superhuman crimnals affect the lives of normal people on a day to day basis, with Murdock defending victims of superhuman criminals on the streets and in the courts. Plus a UDD title could deal with cults and serial killers, something that would be out of place in other titles.

i'm not so sure about an Ultimate Daredevil. Its not that i don't like the character it just seems to me that he's pretty much the same character from 616, i'd like to see something a bit different.

I voted for Ultimate Hawk-Owl. I love that mini so much and i really think its a shame that it didnt carry on into a series. Only problem is everyone will complain its like having a batman and robin title

The Overlord said:
Too be fair the Hulk was way better written in certain peroids (ex: Peter David's peroid) then other comics like Iron Man. However the reason why 616 Hulk works to a degree, is because he is anti hero. In UU Hulk is a pure villain and its very hard to a series about a villain. Plus how would other gamma mutants like the Leader be introduced?

Gotta disagree. I don't think Ultimate Hulk is a villain at all, he's more of a tragic character like Frankenstein. Especially after his session with Xavier in Ultimates 2, which I think will give him better control over the Hulk. I don't think the term anti-hero applies to the Ultimate version either. However, I don't think a Hulk ongoing is likely or a good idea.

Guijllons said:
Nah, he's not a villain. Banner is a good guy for a start, and in the Ultimates annual it says that Hulk took out some bandits. It seems that the townsfolk in the area were not harmed at all. Whether this is down to the townsfolk not shooting at him or some sense of moral justice we dunno, but it isn't as clear cut as saying Hulk is out and out bad.

The character has a lot of weight, just not enough for an ongoing, I feel.

For once I completely agree with Guij. Shoot me now.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Regardless of if the villagers shot at him. Hulk from Ultimates Vol. 1 would've attacked them. I think the point being made is Banner is in more control now.

Very true.

The Overlord said:
I don't know, a lot of people would believe Dr. Strange, who is a wizard would ruin the tone of the realstic tone of the Ultimate Universe.

I think it can be handled quite realistically. After all, we've gotten Norse Gods introduced in Ultimates and parallel universes in UFF...and a swarm of giant alien space bugs in Ultimate Extinction. Compared to that, it could work.

I think Ultimate Daredevil would work best as 5th tilte because it be more down to earth compared to the other titles. UDD would give UU an urban crime title that has been missing.

We have a partial urban crime title in Ultimate Spider-Man, and even in UXM to a small degree (The Tempest). It'd be repetitive, and doesn't make sense in terms of the different cornerstones (as Ourchair put it) of the Ultimate universe.

Plus while only a few of UDD's foes would be superhuman (Bushwacker, Purple Man, Mr. Hyde, Death-Stalker) it would allows to see how these superhuman crimnals affect the lives of normal people on a day to day basis, with Murdock defending victims of superhuman criminals on the streets and in the courts. Plus a UDD title could deal with cults and serial killers, something that would be out of place in other titles.

Those are good ideas, but best served in a series of minis, instead of an ongoing.

DIrishB said:
Gotta disagree. I don't think Ultimate Hulk is a villain at all, he's more of a tragic character like Frankenstein. Especially after his session with Xavier in Ultimates 2, which I think will give him better control over the Hulk. I don't think the term anti-hero applies to the Ultimate version either. However, I don't think a Hulk ongoing is likely or a good idea.

For once I completely agree with Guij. Shoot me now.

Very true.

I think it can be handled quite realistically. After all, we've gotten Norse Gods introduced in Ultimates and parallel universes in UFF...and a swarm of giant alien space bugs in Ultimate Extinction. Compared to that, it could work.

We have a partial urban crime title in Ultimate Spider-Man, and even in UXM to a small degree (The Tempest). It'd be repetitive, and doesn't make sense in terms of the different cornerstones (as Ourchair put it) of the Ultimate universe.

Those are good ideas, but best served in a series of minis, instead of an ongoing.

Spider-Man is not an urban crime drama, its a high school drama with super heroics mixed in. There some urban crime (stories with the Kingpin) but mostly its him fighting against other genetic powerful super villains. I mean a real urban crime drama, with really realstic criminals with cults, junkies and serial killers. Some of the UDD ideas I had were him going up against, a deranged cult leader, a rapist stalker (Purple Man) and a child killer (Ringmaster), which wouldn't fit in a Spider-Man title, its too dark. Spider-Man is too young to be fighting against cults, junkies and serial killers, he's not mentally prepared for that, but DD would be. I don't see how Spider-Man is a full time urban crime drama and UXM is really streching it.

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Spider-Man is not an urban crime drama, its a high school drama with super heroics mixed in. There some urban crime (stories with the Kingpin) but mostly its him fighting against other genetic powerful super villains.

Hence me saying a "partial urban crime drama".

I mean a real urban crime drama, with really realstic criminals with cults, junkies and serial killers. Some of the UDD ideas I had were him going up against, a deranged cult leader, a rapist stalker (Purple Man) and a child killer (Ringmaster), which wouldn't fit in a Spider-Man title, its too dark. Spider-Man is too young to be fighting against cults, junkies and serial killers, he's not mentally prepared for that, but DD would be. I don't see how Spider-Man is a full time urban crime drama and UXM is really streching it.

Again, I said there were elements of that, not speaking completely. And again, I would love to see more UDD minis focusing on that, but not an ongoing.

DIrishB said:
Hence me saying a "partial urban crime drama".

Again, I said there were elements of that, not speaking completely. And again, I would love to see more UDD minis focusing on that, but not an ongoing.

Alright, but how can you introduce Dr. Strange into the UU with a twist that makes it different from the 616 Dr. Strange. Besides there is a reason Dr. Strange can't maintain ongoing title in regular Marvel, because all of his stories are very much the same. All Dr. Strange does is fight demons and evil wizards all the time, they all have the some super power (magic), personality wise most evil demons tend to be the same. It it just gets boring after awhile watching Strange fighting evil wizards and demons over and over again.

Besides I still think the Ultimate Universe needs a full time urban crime srtama, let Spidey get into high flying battles with the genetic freaks while someone else deals the with the mean streets.

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Alright, but how can you introduce Dr. Strange into the UU with a twist that makes it different from the 616 Dr. Strange. Besides there is a reason Dr. Strange can't maintain ongoing title in regular Marvel, because all of his stories are very much the same. All Dr. Strange does is fight demons and evil wizards all the time, they all have the some super power (magic), personality wise most evil demons tend to be the same. It it just gets boring after awhile watching Strange fighting evil wizards and demons over and over again.

He isn't my first choice, but with a competent writer maintaing a balance between realism and the mystical, it could work. And again, its a new fold of the Ultimate universe which hasn't been explored, especially in an ongoing (other than the Strange stories in UMTU and USM, and the UXM Annual). Something an "urban crime drama" really isn't.

I agree Doctor Strange would be good. And damnit Overlord. How can you argue for Daredevil and put down another character? Strange could easily pump out a few years worth of issues. Fighting Mephisto, Baron Mordo, Nightmare, Dormammu, er any of the guys Wikipedia tells us about :twisted: ; looking for his father, meeting supernatural Ultimate Characters like Blade, Man-Thing. It can be done and I wouldn't mind seeing it be done.

DIrishB said:
He isn't my first choice, but with a competent writer maintaing a balance between realism and the mystical, it could work. And again, its a new fold of the Ultimate universe which hasn't been explored, especially in an ongoing (other than the Strange stories in UMTU and USM, and the UXM Annual). Something an "urban crime drama" really isn't.

Yeah, but like I said I don't think Dr. Strange is a strong enough concept to carry an ultimate title. If he's not in his element he's out of place, Dr. Strange stopping bank robberys is just silly and when he is in element he can only fight other magic foes over and over again and people will get pretty sick of evil wizards and demons in a short while. It would take a super creative genius to make an ongoing Dr. Strange title work.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I agree Doctor Strange would be good. And damnit Overlord. How can you argue for Daredevil and put down another character? Strange could easily pump out a few years worth of issues. Fighting Mephisto, Baron Mordo, Nightmare, Dormammu, er any of the guys Wikipedia tells us about :twisted: ; looking for his father, meeting supernatural Ultimate Characters like Blade, Man-Thing. It can be done and I wouldn't mind seeing it be done.

It would be a great avenue to explore these more mystically based characters which have already been introduced.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Hey I do what I feel like, besides all those Dr. Strange enemies you listed are, evil wizards and demons. I just don't think you can get Dr. Strange out of the evil wizards and demons circle he always gets stuck. Besides even if he meets other characters what is he going to do, likely fight evil wizards and demons again, only with a team mate. When Spidey and Dr. Strange team up in 616 MU who do they fight, an evil wizard.

The Overlord said:
Hey I do what I feel like, besides all those Dr. Strange enemies you listed are, evil wizards and demons. I just don't think you can get Dr. Strange out of the evil wizards and demons circle he always gets stuck. Besides even if he meets other characters what is he going to do, likely fight evil wizards and demons again, only with a team mate. When Spidey and Dr. Strange team up in 616 MU who do they fight, an evil wizard.
You're being too narrowminded. Who does Spider-Man always fight? A supervillain. It's the same schtick. Doctor Strange would work.

MWoF, you make me really want to read an Ultimate Dr. Strange title and see character's like the one you mentioned.

So basically, if it's not the one announced, you'll have to write it for me.

Naked.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You're being too narrowminded. Who does Spider-Man always fight? A supervillain. It's the same schtick. Doctor Strange would work.

Super Villains have different powers and pose different types of threats to Spidey. Evil wizards and demons have the same power, magic, so the threat they pose is very similar if not the same.

There is a reason Dr. Strange can't maintain a title in 616 MU. Strange is in the same boat Aquaman is in, Aquaman can only have undersea adventures in his title and once you get sick of those there's no point in reading the title anymore.

Besides how can you make title about magic realstic, magic is the opposite of realstic, there is nothing realstic about magic.

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Super Villains have different powers and pose different types of threats to Spidey. Evil wizards and demons have the same power, magic, so the threat they pose is very similar if not the same. There is a reason Dr. Strange can't
maintain a title in 616 MU. Strange is in the same boat Aquaman is in, Aquaman can only have undersea adventures in his title and once you get sick of those there's no point in reading the title anymore.
I just don't see it that way... Doctor Strange could fight against Super-Villains too, easy. I'd like to see Doctor Strange in a series progress within the superhero community as one of it's most respected members or the opposite have a younger naive Strange really **** things up.

The Overlord said:
Super Villains have different powers and pose different types of threats to Spidey. Evil wizards and demons have the same power, magic, so the threat they pose is very similar if not the same.

So not true. Look at some of 616 Strange's villains and their powers and then get back to me. Sure, they're all magic-based, but how they use them is the difference (much like Daredevil's rogues mostly being super-beings with different schticks, its the same thing).

There is a reason Dr. Strange can't maintain a title in 616 MU. Strange is in the same boat Aquaman is in, Aquaman can only have undersea adventures in his title and once you get sick of those there's no point in reading the title anymore.

Besides how can you make title about magic realstic, magic is the opposite of realstic, there is nothing realstic about magic.

Look at the Thor godhood issue for your answer. Why do you keep asking questions answers have been given to?

TheManWithoutFear said:
I just don't see it that way... Doctor Strange could fight against Super-Villains too, easy. I'd like to see Doctor Strange in a series progress within the superhero community as one of it's most respected members or the opposite have a younger naive Strange really **** things up.

Exactly. I'd also like to see the "Seer to the Stars" angle played up more, which was introduced in the USM crossover 2-issue arc (USM #70-71). Gives it that sense of realism in the sense everyone needs to make a buck.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
So not true. Look at some of 616 Strange's villains and their powers and then get back to me. Sure, they're all magic-based, but how they use them is the difference (much like Daredevil's rogues mostly being super-beings with different schticks, its the same thing).

Look at the Thor godhood issue for your answer. Why do you keep asking questions answers have been given to?

We still don't know the whole story with Thor is not quite fair to hold him up as an example of "realstic magic" until his whole backstory is fully revealed.

As for villains, can you really tell the me the difference between the way Baron Mordo and Kaluu use their magic? Heck Baron Mordo and Kaluu are almost exactly the same the character, an evil wizard who use magic in the service of a demon lord to gain more power.

Latest posts

Back