Worldstorm Discussion (Spoilers)

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
So, I was going to start a discussion thread for Wetworks, and then I realized there probably wouldn't be enough discussion to warrant a full thread, so I figured I'd open this up to talk about all of the series in the Wildstorm Universe as they start to pop up.

So, Wetworks came out this week to kick off the reboot of the Wildstorm Universe, and it's a disappointing start. Let's start with a summary, yeah?

Some top secret facility attacked by a vampire. We get plenty of blood. Cut to a Seattle condo where some high-class business is about to get freaky with some dame. Except, oops, it's a vampire, and she totally eats his face. It turns out she's addicted to (I can only guess) blood-coke, and she works for some group of government handlers. Dane (cyborg dude, who I vaguely remember as the leader of the old team) jumps her inside her car, and convinces her to work for him.

Cut again to New York, where a Frankenstein monster who talks funny is in some medical faciliity. He can cross over to the land of the dead apparently, and doing that, he convinces the medical team to bring back to life some cyber-mummy dame. Finally, Dane, Frankenstein, and the vamp are all meeting up in some facility. They reveal that an eeeevil vampire stole an experimental device called a Blood Box from the facility, which can totally wipe out the human race. Vamp's all "I don't even like humans. I'm totally badass. Let them all die" but ends up helping out when there's an attack on the facility. It turns out to be a werewolf detective. Fine.

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not really familiar with these characters, but that doesn't change the fact that the pacing and the writing is pretty awful. It feels like a cross of that awful remake of House of Dracula, with some Kolchak and Angel (minus the fun) mixed in. It was really bad.... I'm really hoping the other books are much better. 1/5

Who got Gen 13? It was surprisingly good. Much better then Wetworks (not that Wetworks was bad).
I really like Simone's dialogue, it's kinda funny but it feels real. She does basically what Bendis try to do but fails.

5/5 Seriously. This will be on my list.

Who got Gen 13? It was surprisingly good. Much better then Wetworks (not that Wetworks was bad).
I really like Simone's dialogue, it's kinda funny but it feels real. She does basically what Bendis try to do but fails.

Can we get a second opinion on Gen-13? I haven't picked it up, and I really disliked Wetworks. So can we get a summary, or a second opinion on the first ish, or something?

sorry to sound like a bendis-whore but i really can't agree with u about his writing. his stuff on USM with peter is great (i still talk like that and i'm waaaay older lol), powers dialogue rocks, etc - peace out UQS :)

Hm...

I'm picking up The Authority and WildC.A.T.S. today...

For two Morrison series, I'm surprised neither have been commented on.

I think I just read The Authority, but they weren't there.

Loved the Authority, despite the surprising lack of superheroes. Ha's art is excellent and I love this idea of inserting the Authority into a story already taking place in the real world. That last page was awesome. And I loved the line, "This one looks like he's had his head kicked clean off...". Ahh, that sure sounds familiar.

Wildcats was fine, though my complete lack of knowledge about the series or the characters made the whole thing seem pointless. Wikipedia, here I come!

I looked for Gen13, but they appeared to be sold out. :(

Gen-13 was pretty good. I just flipped through Authority and it looks good - art is great.

Are these complete reboots? Do we need prior knowledge of these books in order to "get" them?

Gen-13 was pretty good. I just flipped through Authority and it looks good - art is great.

Are these complete reboots? Do we need prior knowledge of these books in order to "get" them?
The first issue of the Authority: No. Because the team doesn't actually appear in the first issue. But I'm betting that it would be helpful to at least know who everyone is before you continue with the book. And it wouldn't be a waste of your time to catch up. The Authority is one of the best superhero books ever (Specifically Millar's, Ellis', and Brubaker's runs). It's a must-read.

I've read both Wildcats and The Authority. I thought The Authority was disappointing, but after reading Wildcats, it was actually better. I don't really like Jim Lee, he's overrated - and so is Grant Morrison.

I still need to read Wildcats Version 3.0, and so far, Worldstorm isn't really off to a good start.

I find Grant Morrison overrated. I haven't really read any of his older stuff - Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Arkham Asylum etc. but I don't find most of his modern stuff any good. New X-Men was alright, but I'm still sure Morrison didn't know Xorn would be Magneto until he thought it would make a good twist. We3 was good, but vastly hyped up. All Star Superman is okay, but not the best book ever like some people are making it out. Batman is just plain weird. Authority and Wildcats aren't really off to good starts.

He's a good writer, I just find him overrated.

I decided today that Seven Soldiers is better than Watchmen.
Wow. I missed the boat on that one and hopelessly attempted to catch up before realizing that there was way too much to get. I'll probably buy the whole thing when I have some extra spending cash (Christmas probably).

Latest posts

Back