WWE [speculation, spoilers]

DIrishB said:
Back when the Legion of Doom was still the top tag-team duo. Ahhh, those were the days.
Unfortunately, they still are (or, at least, the writers would like us to believe so), because they have a best-selling nostalgia DVD to promote. Except that Hawk is now several years dead, Animal is terribly out of shape, and relative newcomer John Heidenreich has joined the team, and his in-ring style is clunky and lumbering, despite the intensity of his personality.

DIrishB said:
Of course I was like 9 at the time, so this still entertained me. I'm wondering how all you intelligent people still find it so. Not knocking you or anything, seriously wondering.
I refuse to answer this question, coming from someone who takes online flirtation seriously ;)

DIrishB said:
I mean has anything new been introduced to the wrestling scene since the 1980's?
Excerpted from World Wrestling Entertainment at Wikipedia said:
The Attitude Era
McMahon, along with head writer Vince Russo, took the WWF in an edgier, reality-based direction he called WWF Attitude, and in the process created a new corporate logo. Borrowing many of the exciting wrestling and storyline styles from then-insurgent wrestling promotion ECW, the WWF Attitude Era was based largely on the growing popularity of the wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin.

With the massive success of Attitude, WCW's financial situation deteriorated significantly, and its newly-merged parent company AOL Time Warner looked to cut the division loose. In March 2001, WWF Entertainment, Inc. acquired WCW from AOL Time Warner for $7 million. During the final WCW Monday Nitro, Vince McMahon (as the character Mr. McMahon) took over the broadcast during the last half hour and Monday Night Raw was seen on TNT. Months later, McMahon and Bischoff reconciled their personal differences, and Bischoff signed with WWE to perform as the storyline General Manager of RAW a surreal moment that wrestling fans will remember for all time.
In a lot of ways the development of pro wrestling parallels that of super-hero comics storytelling. A lot of current WWE plotlines are attempts to rehash old ideas that fans bought into before, but also to 'Ultimize' the stories, in the sense that character motivation and drama are more 'realistic' or 'believable'.

Last edited:
compound said:
Unfortunately, they still are (or, at least, the writers would like us to believe so), because they have a best-selling nostalgia DVD to promote. Except that Hawk is now several years dead, Animal is terribly out of shape, and relative newcomer John Heidenreich has joined the team, and his in-ring style is clunky and lumbering, despite the intensity of his personality.

I refuse to answer this question, coming from someone who takes online flirtation seriously ;)

In a lot of ways the development of pro wrestling parallels that of super-hero comics storytelling. A lot of current WWE plotlines are attempts to rehash old ideas that fans bought into before, but also to 'Ultimize' the stories, in the sense that character motivation and drama are more 'realistic' or 'believable'.

I guess I'm just one of those *******s who likes the blood in the ring to be real.

I know Shane runs the media division. I was *****ing that he isn't on TV.

Jim really isn't fired. He needed time off for his health before coming back to run RAW Unlimited. Y'all are such marks. I can't believe all of these people - and people in the ligit news media - that are buying that he actually got fired for real!

His final match to call will be Hogan vs. Austin at Wrestlmania, which this is all leading up to. Yeah, they're gonna drag it out.

And the midgets on Smackdown . . . WHY?!?!?! Did Orson Scott Card start writing for the WWE, too?

Irish - been lots of changes in wrestling since the 80's. Most notable: Jake the Snake's teeth have all rotted out from smoking crack and 90 year old Mae Young has taken her top off on live TV, twice. There is nothing more horrifying than seeing Mae Young topless.

Nurhachi said:
smackdowns got a midget division. SMACKDOWNS GOT A MIDGET DIVISION :D:D:D SUPER PORKY!!!

I'll watch that!

leather_w0lf said:
Irish - been lots of changes in wrestling since the 80's. Most notable: Jake the Snake's teeth have all rotted out from smoking crack and 90 year old Mae Young has taken her top off on live TV, twice. There is nothing more horrifying than seeing Mae Young topless.

Jake the Snake is a crackhead? And I'm not even going to ask about the Mae Young lady.

Mae Young is a cronie of the Fabulous Moola. Yeah. She's 80 something and she still takes bumps.

Please for give me for mentioning Mae Young giving birth to hand as one of the dumbest things ever on WWE T.V.

It seems I had a case of Bard's Tongue.

Seems that tonight on RAW they had a paradoy of JR's colon surgery with Vince as the doctor. There was a nurse named "Ms. Slobberknockers" lol.

Any how, Doctor Vince starts digging stuff out of JR's ***.

One of the items is "Mae Young's other hand."

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was pretty funny up to that point.

A bad storyline referencing another bad storyline! Why not find Katie Vick's Death Certificate next week?

Wow, wrestling. Soap opera for guys.

Watched quite a bit when I was (I think) between 10 and 12. I remember, Jake the snake, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Macho Man (did I ever laugh when I saw him in Spider-Man), Ultimate Warrior (I was always amazed at seeing him lift guys that looked twice as heavy as him above his head), some dude with 2X4 wooden plank, The Road Warriors, the Demolishers (Kiss wannabes...), The Bushwackers, Some obese dude in with a flame motif suit (Bam Bam bigelow?), Brett Hart and the Mounties.

Can you guess my age? :lol:

Nowadays, when I catch a glimpse of Wrestling, they spend even more time on melodrama, there are muscle babes everywhere and the wrestlers are a lot bigger than I remember (usually, it's the other way around when you grow up...).

Must be a hard way to earn your life, being a wrestler. Even though they are not really hitting each other, the steroids and the amount of training required to maintain the muscle mass of some of these guys must take quite a toll on the body after a few years.

Last edited:
I really watch it for the spots in the ring, the back stage politics and some good mic work (when it occurs, lol!). There is an art to setting up a chair spot correctly and in selling the hit. By contrast, a good talker can engross you. Take a look at where The Rock has gone. And what can be more satifying than knowing what goes on behind the scenes and how it is imitated on screen and in the matches and (currently horrible) story lines.

I try to follow it. Not as hardcore as I used to though. Now I just follow the Monday night storylines. Which are watered-down lines they used like 10 years ago. I mean how many times has the Undertaker been burned alive in a casket only to reappear 3 months later????

And is it just me or have a lot of the wrestlers been slacking off lately??? I mean in the gym and in-ring technique....

Case in point....HHH. He used to be huge and cut. Now he's actually getting fat. He looks like the fat guy we all know...who lifts weights. It's embarassing. He doesn't even do that running kneelift anymore. Booker T----I remember when he was in WCW and had those Best of 7 matches with Chris Benoit...he was ripped and doing new moves nobody had ever seen. Now he's big and doing the same old spinaroonie kick thing every week. I feel bad for them.

Wht happened to the greatness???? What happened to the innovativeness of Kanyon or Perry Saturn???? Now we Chris Masterson using a full-nelson for a finishing move. Are you kidding me?!?!?! That was the one of the basic moves you're taught to counter back in training camp. Now that's not saying much because a few years ago The Rock was finishing his opponents with AN ELBOW DROP!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!? Austin is still drinking beer and being a "bad ***". Big whoop. Bring back crazy funny Austin. The one who was singing songs to Vince and saying "What?" all the time. And somebody find DDP and bring him back to coach Randy Orton on how to do his finishing move properly......and in more variations. That RKO is the poor man's Diamond Cutter.

Sorry. I got off on a rant.............................................................

Trips got fat cos he got married and don't work out as much any longer, plus I think he stopped taking HGH.

Strong allegation, I know, but what else explains how he went from a skinny runt in DX to a beefed out beast when he made his initial heel turn back in the Corporation days.

The Latest

Well, a lot has gone down the past week.

I missed RAW and Taboo Tuesday as I was on my yearly trip to Salem, MA to celebrate Halloween.

I have learned the following:

Steve Austin is full of $h!t. He was in no car accident, he did not pull his back moving furniture. He was having another one of his classic temper tantrums becuase he didn't like the finish on his match. Originally Coach was going to have a returning Mark Henry as his stooge with Austin doing the job to Henry. Instead we got Big Fat Vader. And something must have settled with Vinnie Mac cos he had Coach do the job. Mebbe Austin threatened to back out on the Wrestlemania 22 match against Hogan. The last time Austin pulled this garbage was over jobbing to Brock Lesnar back a couple years ago when he first quit.

Christian quit. Got tired of being buried and jobbing on Smackdown. Give the man his props. Vince is not Bill Bellecheck. He too often lets good talent like Christian get away. For the past 8 or so years I have enjoyed his whining! He's going to cost WWE a LOT of money when he goes to TNA in 6 months.

Torrie Wilson got canned. You knew this was coming as she is married to Billy Kidman (who cannot use Billy Kidman as his ring name any longer!!! WWE owns it! It's all good as Billy Kidman is not his real name.). At least on the 24th's RAW we got to see her in lacey boy cut panties. Yummy.

Re: The Latest

leather_w0lf said:
Torrie Wilson got canned. You knew this was coming as she is married to Billy Kidman (who cannot use Billy Kidman as his ring name any longer!!! WWE owns it! It's all good as Billy Kidman is not his real name.). At least on the 24th's RAW we got to see her in lacey boy cut panties. Yummy.

No she didn't. She's still with the company, she just didnt show up to Taboo Tuesday because a family member neeeded help or something. WWE.com issued a statement saying the rumour that she got fired is false

Re: The Latest

Nurhachi said:
No she didn't. She's still with the company, she just didnt show up to Taboo Tuesday because a family member neeeded help or something. WWE.com issued a statement saying the rumour that she got fired is false
My understanding of the situation is this:

Torrie was indeed fired after she went missing/AWOL following last week's international tour. That's why her profile was removed from the official site.

When she contacted the company, the next day, to explain her situation, they were understanding about it, so they re-hired her, and hastily attempted to cover their tracks, by posting the official statement.

Last edited:
Well ain't that a hoot about Torrie Wilson. And it's a fact that she is no longer fired.

Brian Hebner is gone, too. No more Hebners. Wow. He had apparent "behavior" issues.

Finally a RAW that was worth watching!

I have 3 things and 3 things only to say:

1.) Joey Styles is a blessing.

2.) Kane & Big Show rock as a team.

3.) Candice Michelle's butt cleavage.

'nuff said!

Leather

leather_w0lf said:
Kane & Big Show rock as a team.
Agreed. They play well off each other. And wasn't Kane supposed to have been legitimitatelty injured at a house show recently? Sure didn't appear that way during his strong performance at RAW.

Too bad it had to be at the expense of the only credible heel tag team left. But I never liked Murdock/Cade's gimmicj, to begin with.

Kane and Big Show are in dire need of a legit pair of contenders to step up to the plate, for their belt to mean anything, though.

I wish that WWE Creative make the bold move of somehow getting Teddy Long to trick Bischoff into signing over Show/Kane to Smackdown, then making the Friday show "the exclusive home of Tag Team Championship action", with the big guys facing off against MNM to determine the decisive title-holders. That way, they can build a stronger division, focuised on one brand.

There can always be non-title tag matches on Raw, as a side attraction, but leave the gold exclusively on Smackdown.

Let's stop pretending there's enough talent to have a solid tag division on each roster.

compound said:
You're welcome!

Who's bettah?

Nobody......... :lol:

Seriously though......not saying that they were the only ones to do it---but ever since they left wrestlers just don't come up with innovative stuff anymore. It's just 2 dudes standing there throwing punches.

Where's the moves??? The suplexes??? Submission holds??? The new high-impact moves that left you breathless and had you rewinding your VCR tapes to see how they did that???

I miss the Rings of Saturn!!!! :(

Latest posts

Back