X-Men Origins: Wolverine discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• Total voters
thats great that their making it R rated. :D because honestly, you cant do a decent wolverine movie if theres no blood and gore. :twisted: it would be like doing blade at PG-13, it might work, but the tone would'nt be right.

I think an R rated movie would work, it might not do amazingly well at the box office (make back its budget I predict) , but like Blade, will rocket its profit margins in the DVD market.

Plus I think we as a market are ready for an R rated Wolverine.

Widdle Wade said:
Plus I think we as a market are ready for an R rated Wolverine.
Sounds like a mantra to me! :D

I've often iterated that I'm no big fan of Wolverine, but I think he's got the makings of a great movie.

As unpopular as Origin is among critical circles, I think it makes a great idea for a movie if you try to market it to a more "period" driven public. Hugh Jackman's got the acting chops for it, having done several period-style pieces on Broadway.

I can already picture them using New Zealand to "star" as 19th century Canada, with some music by Howard Shore or even that ostentatious hack Hans Zimmer. The only problem is that the downbeat ending needs to be pulled off just right.

One thing is to frame the entire film with Logan in mind, and give less attention to Rose. That way we clearly don't lose sight of Logan's feelings and not mistake Rose for the main character. Also developing the audience's emotional connection with Logan will make the sense of loss in the end more resonant.

Some other aspects of the story need to be reworked to make a more powerful film, but otherwise the story of Origin isn't patently bad. It could be one of those great noble warrior period pieces that just seems so in these days.

Oh and call it "Logan" so the Miramax/Sony Classics/Fox Searchlight types won't get embarrassed about watching a comic book movie called "Wolverine."

ourchair said:
Oh and call it "Logan" so the Miramax/Sony Classics/Fox Searchlight types won't get embarrassed about watching a comic book movie called "Wolverine."

...or "Lucky Jim" :crazy:

Look! News! Really!

From CBR:

Dark Horizons is reporting a rumor that Hugh Jackman is going to ask "Dancing With The Stars" winner Tom Williams to play "a big role" in the Logan-centric spin-off.

Re: Wolverine: The Movie

Hugh recently spoke about the Wolverine movie

Source: Entertainment Weekly March 18, 2006

Entertainment Weekly chatted with Hugh Jackman at ShoWest and he talked more about his Wolverine spinoff film:

. ''Wolverine substantiates a feature film,'' Jackman said. ''I mean, he's a really intriguing, mysterious, enigmatic character, à la Mad Max, Dirty Harry, Han Solo — he's that kind of screen antihero.'' So what's the movie about? ''I'd love to get into the origins of that character and find out what he's really made of. So that was always my idea.... Benioff came in with a pitch that was so brilliant, I was so excited, I actually tried to get Fox to make it [before X-Men 3]. But they said, 'No, no, no, we have a trilogy, let's finish that.''' Ah, so that means that Wolverine will survive X-Men 3 this summer, right? ''Well, you never know. Wolverine might be a prequel. Wolverine might be a prequel.'' Yeah, we heard him — nudge nudge — the first time.

Now I doubt its a prequel just on that statement, its just to keep the fans guessing whether Logan would survive X3 or not. I don't want a prequel, I want an adventure that has flash backs to his past.

ourchair said:

I agree. Call it something other than Wolverine. The whole world knows who he is....but call the film something else.

Random said:
I don't want a prequel, I want an adventure that has flash backs to his past.

I'm not a Wolverine fan....at all. If he was to finally bite it in the grand way of Pheonix:Endsong and never to return...I'd but a bottle of bubbly and celebrate.

With that said...I think a prequel would better more interesting. Because based on X1...he had no clue what a "Magneto" or "Sabertooth" was. So the likelihood of him fighting someone else superpowered would be a bit outta continuity. But with no superpowered villain to fight the film would have to really be character driven instead of action-packed.

Victor Von Doom said:
I agree. Call it something other than Wolverine. The whole world knows who he is....but call the film something else.

I'm not a Wolverine fan....at all. If he was to finally bite it in the grand way of Pheonix:Endsong and never to return...I'd but a bottle of bubbly and celebrate.

With that said...I think a prequel would better more interesting. Because based on X1...he had no clue what a "Magneto" or "Sabertooth" was. So the likelihood of him fighting someone else superpowered would be a bit outta continuity. But with no superpowered villain to fight the film would have to really be character driven instead of action-packed.
Just because he doesn't fight mutants with corny codenames doesn't mean he wouldn't have battled mutants in his past.

jtg3885 said:
Just because he doesn't fight mutants with corny codenames doesn't mean he wouldn't have battled mutants in his past.

Ice said:
Actually Vic, J has a point.

I'm sorry...I've been misunderstood. I'm not saying he hasn't.....I'm just saying that in the first film he seemed to not understand what a mutant was. Or maybe he did...and just didn't understand the codename portion.

That's what I'm basing my statement off...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Call it something other than Wolverine? You guys are on crack or something. The kids want to see "Wolverine". They don't care what comicbook fanboys think it should be called.

Hey, the only way I'm spending 10 bucks and two hours in a cruddy theater is if Hugh suddenly breaks into song and performs a 5 minute showstopper in the middle of the film.

That would be awesome.

ultimatedjf said:
Hey, the only way I'm spending 10 bucks and two hours in a cruddy theater is if Hugh suddenly breaks into song and performs a 5 minute showstopper in the middle of the film.

Then it looks like you'll be extremely happy. Jackman has demanded Prince work on a remix of his famous "Bat Dance" (from the soundtrack of "Batman (1989)"). In the middle of the film, Jackman will perform the remix (called "Wolvie Dance") and awe the entire world.

Source: My sweet, smelly butt-cheeks.

Last edited:

Dr_Draco said:
Then it looks like you'll be extremely happy. Jackman has demanded Prince work on a remix of his famous "Bat Dance" (from the soundtrack of "Batman (1989)"). In the middle of the film, Jackman will perform the remix (called "Wolvie Dance") and awe the entire world.

Source: My sweet, smelly butt-cheeks.

Mmmmm, lurve that! Did you have popcorn recently?

Victor Von Doom said:
I'm sorry...I've been misunderstood. I'm not saying he hasn't.....I'm just saying that in the first film he seemed to not understand what a mutant was. Or maybe he did...and just didn't understand the codename portion.

That's what I'm basing my statement off...
This could also be pre-Weapon X amnesia too...

Victor Von Doom said:

Well I wouldn't know what it would be called if not Wolvervine, maybe Logan would work or Weapon X but I wouldnt want the movie based completely around weapon x.

And I don't want a straight up prequel, I think it would be better if the audience finds out about his past along with him, that it would be more of a mystery, and we see Logan develope more as his past begin to be revealed.

Ooo.... We could call it "Adamantium".... Because, get it.... Wolverine's skeleton is made of....

Why's everyone looking at me like that, and how did all of you manage to find so many rotten vegeta-----

:scared: :scared: :panic:

*Hides in a corner*

Dr_Draco said:
Ooo.... We could call it "Adamantium".... Because, get it.... Wolverine's skeleton is made of....

Why's everyone looking at me like that, and how did all of you manage to find so many rotten vegeta-----

:scared: :scared: :panic:

*Hides in a corner*
There goes 5 seconds I'll never get back

Latest posts

Back